Touch ID won't be under the screen in the iPhone 15 and iPhone 16, Kuo says

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2023

Apple won't release a new iPhone model with under-display Touch ID until 2025 at the earliest, according to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone 14 Pro render
iPhone 14 Pro render

The analyst made the updated prediction in a tweet on Wednesday, noting that he had previously forecast that display-embedded fingerprint sensing technology could come to an iPhone by 2023 at the earliest.

According to the results of Kuo's latest survey of supply chain information, Apple won't release a new iPhone with Touch ID. Kuo notes that "Face ID with a mask on iPhone is already a great biometrics solution."

I previously predicted iPhones would support under-display fingerprint sensing/Touch ID in 2023 at the earliest. But the latest survey indicates new iPhones in 2023 & 2024 may not adopt under-display Touch ID. Face ID with a mask on iPhone is already a great biometrics solution.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Under-display Touch ID has been in the rumor mill for years. Back in 2020, for example, leakers claimed that Apple was continuing its work on display-embedded fingerprint sensors. Rumors of Apple testing the feature continued into 2021.

For his part, Kuo predicted back in September than the "iPhone 15" would get in-screen Touch ID. At the time, that represented a one-year slip from a previous forecast, which Kuo said was because of "lower than expected development progress."

The analyst did not give a reason why Touch ID wouldn't arrive in the iPhone 15 or iPhone 16 in his updated prediction. However, given previous information, it could be because of development or production bottlenecks.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Was it ever under consideration?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I don’t miss Touch ID after moving to FaceID, but I can understand why some people would want it. I’m sure wearing an Apple Watch helps me in situations where having a mask on bothers other FaceID users that don’t also have an Apple Watch and miss Touch ID.

in my experience, FaceID works more consistently than Touch ID did. I frequently had issues with my hands being too wet or had lotion on them or whatever and Touch ID would fail. The only issue I’ve had with FaceID was with mask wearing and that has been mitigated.
    CelticPaddyravnorodom
  • Reply 3 of 14
     However, given previous information, it could be because of development or production bottlenecks.”
    That’s great. So a lack of innovative inspiration should be ruled out.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Unfortunately even with 7 patents underscreen touch. ID will never see the light of day. Apples new Boometric Face ID is the proof
    it Really would have been a big plus not only because of the pandemic but for convenience. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I don't miss Touch ID. My finger sometimes has cracks, lotion, scratch and all other imperfections that even my MacBook Pro can't handle it. Unlock with Apple Watch is the next best thing with iPhone (mask on) and MacBook Pro.
    JFC_PAdewmebyronl
  • Reply 6 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    No interest. FaceID works fast and reliably under just about every condition I throw at it, hats, dark sunglasses etc. the one thing it doesn’t like is very strong sun sidelighting, and I can live with that as that’s what my Apple Watch is for. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Roderikus said:
    “ However, given previous information, it could be because of development or production bottlenecks.”
    Lol. How is going back to an outdated security form (touch is SO mid 20 teens) “lack of innovation”. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Give us touch ID in the power / lock button already. I absolutely loath how Face ID unlocks my phone w/ a sideways glance. Do not like it one bit.

The discretion offered by touch ID cannot be beat, and it works @ any angle.
    Calamander
  • Reply 9 of 14
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Give us touch ID in the power / lock button already. I absolutely loath how Face ID unlocks my phone w/ a sideways glance. Do not like it one bit.

The discretion offered by touch ID cannot be beat, and it works @ any angle.
    Yes I hear you and agree.  Having it in the side button could be a problem for case makers though.  Let’s hope it returns under screen.  But,  I have to wonder,  Apple may not really care how many people love Touch ID,  seems like they could have it by now,  it’s been in Android phones for a few years now.  I don’t miss the home button since getting my first iPhone without it, the 13 mini.  Despite how easy and iconic the home button was,  I’ve moved on.  But having Touch ID back would be great.
    Calamander
  • Reply 10 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Rumor but if true than disappointing news for those hoping for TouchID return to iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    A broken clock is right more often than Kuo. 
    igorsky
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Kuo must be in peak physical condition with the amount of walking back that he does on his predictions.
    igorsky
  • Reply 13 of 14
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Roderikus said:
    “ However, given previous information, it could be because of development or production bottlenecks.”
    Where the hell did you squeeze out "lack of innovative inspiration" out of the quote you provided?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    iPhone XS max: FaceID broken after 3 years. Cannot be fixed.
    iPhone 11 Pro: FaceID broken after 3 years. Fix costs more than the phone? (I read $400 somewhere)
    iPhone 8: Touch ID works great, no problems, 5 years on. It's a tank.

I was OK with using PIN codes but then turns out I got logged out of around 10 different crypto / banking / 2FA apps... all of them requiring some form of cumbersome password entry now. I have to get a new phone. 

So the main issue with FaceID is it keeps breaking. And unless my 2 phones are an exception, there will be a nice class action lawsuit coming for Apple, forcing them to offer a free repair program, if they don't do it pre-emptively. 

I was always defending Apple when it came to the planned obsolescence claim, but FaceID... the TrueDepth camera needs a very fragile laser crystal so it can work, and that thing seems to break very easily. 

PS: The other issue is FaceID may be damaging the eyes, and I would expect someone to file suit on that too eventually. It's a very bright IR flash that you get exposed to 100s of times a day, every time faceID fires... see YT videos taken with IR cameras. It's pretty nasty. A harsh bright flash. We can't see in this spectrum but it's likely to be detrimental to health. 

TouchID was just fine. Perfect. Super secure, super fast. There was nothing wrong with it.

As to why Apple can't get it together with under screen it's likely because their security requirements are a lot higher than Android phones. Not sure how secure they are now, but in the past Android phones could very easily be spoofed. Apple's biometrics are very secure.