YouTube TV rolling out picture-in-picture support to iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Starting Wednesday, a new feature rollout for YouTube TV will allow content to be played back in a smaller window on iPhone and iPad.

Credit: YouTube
Credit: YouTube

YouTube TV picture-in-picture support for iOS and iPadOS is now rolling out for all users. The feature was initially tested on YouTube Premium subscribers in August.

The official YouTube TV Twitter account announced the soft launch in a tweet.

iPhone & iPad users

We're happy to share that picture-in-picture is now rolling out to your iOS 15+ devices. Simply select a video to watch and swipe from the bottom of the screen to return to the device's homepage. The video can scale down and move across your screen.

-- YouTube TV (@YouTubeTV)

The feature will allow the video to stay on the screen in a minimized player with concentrated playback controls. There will also be an option to hide the player for audio-only streaming.

The Picture-in-Picture feature will be gradually made available will adopt iOS and iPadOS' native player. Like with other apps that use the native feature, it will allow the user to enjoy content while having the ability to fully utilize other apps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    About time it was ridiculous Of YouTube to restrict this to premium users
    fred1radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 6
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    sgordon said:
    About time it was ridiculous Of YouTube to restrict this to premium users
    I think you will still be disappointed. This is for YouTube TV, their live TV streaming service, not the basic tier of YouTube.
    applguy
  • Reply 3 of 6
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    I’ve been looking for this feature for a year… it started doing this Monday eve, didn’t work mid/day Tuesday, and worked again today. In any case, slow and finicky progress is still progress, I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It’s about time… on android, both YouTube and YouTube Tv have had PiP for years. Unclear why it took so long for Google to implement PiP on iOS. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Coming to non-premium users: AdTube.  
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Yes, I can confirm that it’s not for slobs like me who don’t pay.