Apple Maps now supports real-time road alerts from emergency vehicles

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Maps now supports real-time alerts sourced from Safety Cloud, a digital alerting platform used by emergency responders and construction zones.

Apple Maps alerts
Apple Maps alerts

Apple's primary navigation app already supported real-time alerts from other drivers. The introduction of HAAS Alert's Safety Cloud means that Apple Maps users can now receive road hazard warnings reported by professional personnel.

HAAS Alerts are sourced from first responders, towing professional, and other emergency vehicles. When users approach one of these incident sites or vehicles, they'll receive a real-time alert on their Apple Maps.

The HAAS Alert Safety Cloud system is used by more than 1,200 public safety agencies, roadside assistance companies, towing operators, road workers, and other entities with vehicles or roadway equipment.

HAAS Alerts, although a lesser-known service among consumers, actually comes standard on many emergency vehicles manufactured by various brands. The company says its service integrates with aftermarket emergency vehicles, work zone equipment, telematics systems, and traffic management platforms.

Since the launch of Safety Cloud in 2017, the service has sent out more than 1 billion digital alerts.

"With the addition of Apple Maps as a Safety Cloud digital alerting partner, drivers using an iPhone as a travel companion will now be safer and better aware of upcoming roadway conditions. We applaud Apple for prioritizing driver safety and taking steps towards achieving the Vision Zero goal of eliminating all traffic fatalities and severe injuries," said Jeremy Agulnek, senior vice president of Connected Vehicles at HAAS Alert.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This is cool. So how do we know if we have this and how do we set it up? I travel a lot for work and this would come in very handy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    As a Realtor who used Maps daily this is going to be awesome! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    This is cool. So how do we know if we have this and how do we set it up? I travel a lot for work and this would come in very handy. 
    Sounds like the notification from HAAS will go straight to Apple Maps and depending on where you are and what routes you have set up You will get a pop-up message automatically. Doesn’t seem like you have to do anything to set it up.
    gregoriusmravnorodomkidrock2199watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Is this service available in all 50 US states? Is this service available in all 10 Canadian provinces?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Is this service available in all 50 US states? Is this service available in all 10 Canadian provinces?

There are 17,985 police agencies in the US.  And that's just cops, it doesn't include fire departments or ambulances.  "Over 1,200" agencies doesn't even begin to give anywhere close to useful coverage.

Radar detectors have had an emergency vehicle alert mode for many years.  It's supposed to alert on a signal broadcast from emergency vehicles.  It's ALWAYS a false alarm, I've never seen it actually alert for an ambulance or fire truck.  I suppose it works somewhere, but not anywhere I've ever been.  This will be similar.

• Reply 6 of 6
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I was driving down the QEW last week just west of Niagara Falls (Canada) and Siri alerted me. Can’t remember what exactly she said because it caught me by surprise but just up the road I passed a cop with someone pulled over. A little while later I passed another motorist pulled over but no alert that time.

I have a radar detector I used to use and it would go off all the time before a construction zone.
    watto_cobra