Apple releases iOS 15.4.1, iPadOS 15.4.1, tvOS 15.4.1, watchOS 8.5.1 with bug fixes and Bu...

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2022
Apple has released iOS 15.4.1, iPadOS 15.4.1, watchOS 8.5.1, and tvOS 15.4.1 with bug fixes, security updates, and the release of the Apple Business Essentials program.

Apple releases iOS 15.4.1. to customers
Apple releases iOS 15.4.1. to customers

This is the first set of updates since March 14 for iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS which introduced features like Universal Control and captive WiFi logins. The HomePod and HomePod mini were also updated with HomePod operating system version 15.4.1.

Release notes don't provide any insight into the updates beyond the usual canned "bug fixes and improvements." Apple may have included a fix for the Studio Display webcam in iOS 15.4.1, but that will require testing after the update to confirm.

Apple also announced that the Business Essentials program would be coming to small businesses starting Thursday. Software support is also included in the update.

A critical bug affecting AppleAVD was also fixed that may have given an application the ability to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking. This issue was filed under CVE-2022-22675.

The build number for iOS and iPadOS moved from 19E241 to 19E258, for tvOS from 19L440 to 19L452, and for watchOS from 19T242 to 19T252.

Generally, point updates arrive shortly after a major release and don't offer much more than bug fixes for the most obvious issues introduced by the new software. Apple also hasn't started a beta cycle for the next set of software updates even though the iOS 15 release cycle isn't near completion.

Apple is expected to announce iOS 16 and other big updates to its operating systems during WWDC in June -- but the specific date of WWDC 2022 hasn't been officially announced yet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sure hope TVOS fixes HomePod streaming issues. All we need is more buffering.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Ditto watch ones. Since last update my watch often runs out of juice mid afternoon. Used to always be good until after bedtime no matter how I was using it during the day. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member
    Big update for hearing aid wearers with Made for iPhone aids. 15.4 caused their hearing aid app to disconnect from the manufacturer’s app if their phone was turned off, needing a complete re-pair of the aids. This update fixes that. Also noted battery drain fixes for the phone itself. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    What about an update for "displayOS" for the camera in the Studio Display?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Xed said:
    Did you consider reading the article before commenting?
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Xed said:
    I did. Did you think about what the article said before responding?

I'll make it easier for you—It says, "Release notes don't provide any insight into the updates beyond the usual canned "bug fixes and improvements." Apple may have yada yada yada.Emphasis mine. To me, that reads that they don't know if it has been updated and since there has been no update from the authors at the time of my posting and since these forums are filled with Mac users I'm hoping at least one of them will have purchased a Studio Display and will have tested it out.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    No sign of iOS 15.4.1 on my iPhone despite being on the beta profile?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Have to remove beta profile for the updaten
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    makasa60 said:
    That’s pretty dumb IMHO, on the beta you should get the latest of the latest that’s in the public domain.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    makasa60 said:
    That’s pretty dumb IMHO, on the beta you should get the latest of the latest that’s in the public domain.
    I agree. I'm sure Apple has their reasons, but I'm not in favor of it without a good explanation.
    PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    RockwellJacobsRockwellJacobs Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Still no fix for the “Airtag Not Reachable” bug. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

I'll make it easier for you—It says, "Release notes don't provide any insight into the updates beyond the usual canned "bug fixes and improvements." Apple may have yada yada yada.Emphasis mine. To me, that reads that they don't know if it has been updated and since there has been no update from the authors at the time of my posting and since these forums are filled with Mac users I'm hoping at least one of them will have purchased a Studio Display and will have tested it out.

I'll make it easier for you—it says, "Release notes don't provide any insight into the updates beyond the usual canned "bug fixes and improvements."

To me, that reads the Release Notes are those accompanying the updates that have been released as named in the title. That's why they're called Release Notes. I have every confidence that if Apple has also released a display update, AI would have posted that too. Seems pretty straightforward.

Further, "what about..." is a fairly vague part of your question. Are you asking if AI forgot to mention an update? Are you asking if AI thinks there will be an update soon? AI has already stated to the effect that Release Notes tend to be sketchy. Maybe if your question was more specific, AI could address your concerns. Or maybe they'll just wait until they have something to say on the matter.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macgui said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

I'll make it easier for you—it says, "Release notes don't provide any insight into the updates beyond the usual canned "bug fixes and improvements."

To me, that reads the Release Notes are those accompanying the updates that have been released as named in the title. That's why they're called Release Notes. I have every confidence that if Apple has also released a display update, AI would have posted that too. Seems pretty straightforward.

Further, "what about..." is a fairly vague part of your question. Are you asking if AI forgot to mention an update? Are you asking if AI thinks there will be an update soon? AI has already stated to the effect that Release Notes tend to be sketchy. Maybe if your question was more specific, AI could address your concerns. Or maybe they'll just wait until they have something to say on the matter.

Except they never deal every update and usually only give a minor statement, hence, "bug fixes and improvements" being the only statement -AND- a display would likely not get the comparability "verbose" treatment that a standard device gets, which is why we AirPods updates without info as to what was being updated. Therefore, asking users with the Studio Display if the camera is now working better makes fucking sense.
    muthuk_vanalingam