What to expect from the iPhone 14 Pro & iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2022
Apple will announce the iPhone 14 Pro lineup during an event on September 7. Here's what the rumor mill has to say, and what we think it looks like.

The 'iPhone 14 Pro' lineup will have pill and hole cutouts in place of the notch
The 'iPhone 14 Pro' lineup will have pill and hole cutouts in place of the notch

Rumors about the "iPhone 14 Pro" have shifted from a radical redesign to a more iterative update. However, if rumors prove true, Apple may be widening the gap between the standard and pro models with different designs and chipsets.

Leaked diagrams show that Apple would keep the large camera bump and similar dimensions for its "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max." The only noticeable difference is the pill and hole cutout used in place of the notch.

The camera bump does appear to be slightly larger in the diagrams, which may be because of the larger 48MP wide camera rumored by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. This camera would enable 8K video recording and capture detailed 12MP photos using a technique called pixel binning.

A reduction in bezels and removing the notch may result in a taller display. Many rumors point to a pill and hole cutout with display supply chain analyst Ross Young, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Twitter leaker Dylandtk, and Ming-Chi Kuo backing this change.

The pill-shaped cutout will house the components needed for Face ID
The pill-shaped cutout will house the components needed for Face ID

A schematic leak showing a pill-and-hole cutout with device dimensions seemingly confirmed the previous diagram leak. One small difference, however, showed that the device would be slightly wider than previously expected.

The hole-punch would be used for the selfie camera while the pill cutout houses the Face ID components. The display would wrap around these cutouts so information could be shown around the area rather than hidden behind a black notch, but the cutouts are expected to take up more space than initial rumors suggested.

Check out our renders in augmented reality by clicking on the image above. Pan and zoom around the file on an iPhone or iPad, or place it on your desk using AR mode. Mac users who click on the image will download the USDZ file, which can be viewed in Preview.

The improved 48MP camera and display cutout are both rumored to be exclusive to the pro iPhone models, but that isn't all. Other leaks state that Apple could reserve the A16 processor for the "iPhone 14 Pro" and continue using the A15 for the standard models. All "iPhone 14" models would have 6GB of RAM, but the difference in processor will be a big departure from Apple's usual strategy.

The rear camera cutout isn't going anywhere according to the latest leaks
The rear camera cutout isn't going anywhere according to the latest leaks

Apple seems to be differentiating the standard and pro models by sourcing different quality parts for each device. One report suggests that while all the new iPhones will use OLED displays, the "iPhone 14 Pro" models will get a higher grade display. A similar report for the camera system said all models would get a 7P camera, but the optics would be better on the pro versions.

Rumors surrounding an always-on display have been heating up, with nearly every credible leaker suggesting the feature is coming. Gurman has reported, on multiple occasions, that iOS 16 shows an always-on display is coming to "iPhone 14 Pro" models. Ross Young also expects the always-on display but couldn't confirm it based on his sources.

An always-on display could show widgets and other data without draining the battery
An always-on display could show widgets and other data without draining the battery

Other rumors have been more scarce, like one shared in July 2021 suggesting Apple would use titanium alloy for the "iPhone 14 Pro" frame. Also, it seems ProMotion could remain a pro iPhone feature according to Ross Young.

The initial "iPhone 14" rumors shared by Jon Prosser haven't been repeated in recent leaks. His renders showed an iPhone with no camera bump, a single camera cutout, round volume buttons, and several speaker holes in the base calling back to the iPhone 5 design.

The 'iPhone 14 Pro' lineup
The 'iPhone 14 Pro' lineup

Apple is expected to announce the "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" during an event scheduled for September 7. Prices may move higher to accommodate new technologies and adjust for the global economy.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    What about a USB-C port instead of Lightning?
    grandact73sandor
  • Reply 2 of 24
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 50member
    I’m expecting no ports sooner rather than later.
    omasou
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I still don’t get why they call this a “hole-punch” display. How does it even work, and who the heck would want one anyway? I mean, nobody raraly use paper anymore.

A “punch-hole” display would be a totally different thing though. That I would like.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 4 of 24
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    At least the notch is centered and balanced looking… Look at those renderings here… does anybody really think this looks good? Why not just keep the notch?  
    edited March 2022 libertyandfreewatto_cobratwokatmewam8449
  • Reply 5 of 24
    M68000 said:
    At least the notch is centered and balanced looking… Look at those renderings here… does anybody really think this looks good? Why not just keep the notch?  
    Agree, I think the notch looks so much better, this looks like a design mistake and it's ugly.  I still believe there will be a solid one-piece black notch that will enclose the hole and notch design.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I will never buy an Apple notched screen product. When Apple makes a non notched screen iPhone and laptop I will become a buyer once again. Would also be nice if Apple stops putting buttons across from each other on their iPhones. . . Such a terrible annoying design. 
    grandact73anonconformist
  • Reply 7 of 24
    While I agree that no notch at all would be preferable for me, I also agree that the existing notch is better looking than this pill and hole rendering,
    watto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 8 of 24
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    I realised the other day the pill + hole design is actually an echo of the speaker + proximity sensor design on the iPhone 5!
    watto_cobranapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 9 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    digitol said:
    I will never buy an Apple notched screen product. When Apple makes a non notched screen iPhone and laptop I will become a buyer once again. Would also be nice if Apple stops putting buttons across from each other on their iPhones. . . Such a terrible annoying design. 
    I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and a 14" MBP with notches.  It's a non-issue.  I forget it's even there.  
    watto_cobratwokatmewnapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 10 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Those millimetres of screen above the hole punch sure will be useful!
    watto_cobraanomeurahara
  • Reply 11 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Just keep the notch until you can remove it. The notch represents a compromised design, this is just the same except instead of having one eyesore you now get two.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 12 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Someone likes notch, someone pill & hole. Until under screen faceid or very reliable under screen touchid tech is come along; we are pretty much stuck with screen cut out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    crowley said:
    Those millimetres of screen above the hole punch sure will be useful!
    More useful than the handful of pixels between. They could go back to dots for cell signals and put them there and battery indicator. 
    Then again could use pixels between for orange and green dots to show mic or camera live. 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 14 of 24
    strikeystrikey Posts: 10member
    Not upgrading from the iPhone X till they put in usb c!
    crowley
  • Reply 15 of 24
    g-medg-med Posts: 7member
    With the increasing number of features 14 will not have, I also see no reason for upgrading from 12. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    sdw2001 said:
    digitol said:
    I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and a 14" MBP with notches.  It's a non-issue.  I forget it's even there.  
    I have never quite understood the animosity towards the notch.

It is ugly, yes. 

But the alternative is simply cropping the screen, full width, below the front facing hardware that is within the notch.

twokatmew
  • Reply 17 of 24
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    The notch blends in the cutouts attract your attention/eyes and not like the cutouts are adding any usable area.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 18 of 24
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    DoctorQ said:
    I’m expecting no ports sooner rather than later.
    +1 expecting them to drop the port all together.

Then everyone can focus on more important news like how Apple is so cheap and don't include a wireless charging puck /s
  • Reply 19 of 24
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    A matte TiPhone would be cool—lighter than stainless, classier than the high-gloss, at least to my eyes, and a nice way to differentiate the new models. 

Once they do include USB-C (which I guess probably won’t be until next year), how hard would it be to support an external monitor and make it a full-fledged computer you can throw in your pocket?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I don't see them having holes in the screen. The notch isn't a great solution, but the holes are worse.

To me, the ideal solution is a small bezel at the top of the screen, but apparently it's just me.