Computing would be totally different had Apple not been formed 48 years ago, today

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    benji888 said:
    It was Apple Computer Inc. until iPod and music became popular, then, sometime before the iPhone it became Apple corporation and they changed the logo from rainbow to solid, they dropped Computer from the name when marketing focus moved off computers. ...the article refers to Apple corporation when it was Apple Computer Inc.
    Your timelines and memory seem a bit off.

Jobs left Apple on 16 September 1985 and returned as interim CEO (iCEO) that same day in 1997. The rainbow logo remained until 1998 (so soon after Jobs returned to the helm) and probably inline with the release of the iMac 3G. The iPod won't ship until the last quarter of 2001, years after that logo was in place.

There are also other logos. The first one sucked monkey balls.

As for the name, it was originally Apple Computer Company where it was founded on this day in 1976, not Apple Computer Inc. Incorporation and the slight name change didn't happen until some time the next year.

The switch from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. happened the same day as the historic iPhone announcement at
     Macworld Expo on January 9, 2007. Jobs did not say that they moved focus off computers—their Macs have never been better, but "because the company had shifted its emphasis from computers to consumer electronics."

I'd argue that consumer electronics, especially the iPhone and iPad, are computers, but you, like countless others, see the word "computer" as only meaning a Mac or PC or server, and likely don't see "PC" as also referring to a Mac or another personal computing device. Apple clearly makes the most popular personal computing devices, but IBM creation of the IBM PC killed Apple's desire to associate with the PC nomenclature.
    ronnnubusRonnyDaddywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 47
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    To this day, Apple is known for how well it presents its products, how carefully designed the packaging is. Today, that is still part of what makes Apple, Apple.
    It totally makes an impression, too. My wife (who knows little to none of this history), remarked about the cleverness of the packaging when she got a new MBP recently.
    Of course, Apple sometimes fails to apply the principal. No clever packaging can undo the damage the horrible keyboard has done on my son's MBP.

lkrupp said:
    I hitched a ride on Apple’s bandwagon in 1982 with an Apple ][+ and have never looked back. There’s something about the company even today that I find fascinating. Now that Apple is a trillion dollar company it has its problems and foibles but at the core it’s still the company it was in the early days. In my now 38 years on the bandwagon I have been treated well by Apple in both purchases and repairs. They fixed my late 2013 27”  iMac when the spring assembly holding the head up broke, long out of warranty, at no charge, with apologies. They fixed my water cooled G5, also at no charge. And they replaced my Power Mac 8100 immediately when the power supply failed, no questions asked. 
    You've got me beat by a couple of years. I knew of Apple before then, but didn't get into them until maybe '86 when we had one in a drafting class in school. Then a friend's brother who was a comp sci professor at Ohio State, and got him some pretty neat Macs (A Mac II if I remember correctly... numbered with jumpers on the motherboard). I was kind of hooked after that, but didn't actually afford to get my own first one until a LC (though we became roommates so I had access to his and at his any my workplace, as we both worked for resellers).

I wonder if they are still replacing things like that these days? It helps to have an Apple Store just down the block, though, I suppose. When I worked in San Francisco, I was about a block away. I had an issue with a laptop and walked out with a new one (with better specs, even). Of course, maybe it helped that I somewhat frequently dropped in with work-machines from my well-known employer. But, I'd like to think they'd have done it for anyone who didn't seem to be trying to pull one over on them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I resigned as head of the science department at the institution where I worked and started an Apple Dealership in the winter of 1977.
    FileMakerFellerjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I hitched a ride on Apple’s bandwagon in 1982 with an Apple ][+ and have never looked back. There’s something about the company even today that I find fascinating. Now that Apple is a trillion dollar company it has its problems and foibles but at the core it’s still the company it was in the early days. In my now 38 years on the bandwagon I have been treated well by Apple in both purchases and repairs. They fixed my late 2013 27”  iMac when the spring assembly holding the head up broke, long out of warranty, at no charge, with apologies. They fixed my water cooled G5, also at no charge. And they replaced my Power Mac 8100 immediately when the power supply failed, no questions asked. 
    You're clearly one of a kind.

If you ask people around here, walking into an Apple Store is just asking to have your dog shot.

Must be little kids too young to remember the days of no store except the little sometimes good hole in the wall stores.
    edited April 2022 ronn
  • Reply 25 of 47
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    I somehow doubt it’s what would become the Apple II they tried to sell to HP or Atari. Furthermore, wouldn’t HP had the rights for the Apple I anyway because Woz was employed there at the time? and they just passed on it?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

If you ask people around here, walking into an Apple Store is just asking to have your dog shot.
    All his examples are from many years ago. I won't speculate on this post as to why, but how Apple Stores see customers has changed. It's too disjointed for my liking and I haven't been in there for several years now—even with an appointment—without feeling like I was standing around wondering if I was ever going to be seen.

The exception was during the pandemic when stores had you queue up outside and they'd come down the line asking you why you were there. That was usually a line to buy something without an appointment in which case they'd go get it or lead you to it when a customer had left, or you were lead to the Genius Bar for your appointment when your tech was ready. They usually had coffee outside, too.

For the Macs lkrupp is talking about I have plenty of stores about customer service that made going to an Apple store with an issue an enjoyable experience, but now even shopping in-store I desperately try to avoid.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 47
    sirdir said:
    I somehow doubt it’s what would become the Apple II they tried to sell to HP or Atari. Furthermore, wouldn’t HP had the rights for the Apple I anyway because Woz was employed there at the time? and they just passed on it?
    Back in the day there was no clause in employment contracts stating that the company owned whatever you came up with on your own time. HP even had "10% time" where Friday afternoons were dedicated to whatever employees wanted to work on (Google later copied this for their "20% time" but was already working folks so hard that most of them just kept doing company tasks). HP was founder-run; when the two founders retired the company went into a death spiral - much like Apple, although the "second coming" of Steve boosted the company onto a new trajectory.
    ronnsirdirschmrtzzz
  • Reply 28 of 47
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Xed said:
    All his examples are from many years ago. I won't speculate on this post as to why, but how Apple Stores see customers has changed. It's too disjointed for my liking and I haven't been in there for several years now—even with an appointment—without feeling like I was standing around wondering if I was ever going to be seen.
    Granted, I haven't been to an Apple store for a few years now, and sporadic for the past decade (been to a Vancouver BC, Milwaukee, etc.), but night and day difference from when they first started. I was at the San Francisco one (OK, it was a flagship store, to be fair) a lot, and sometimes at the Palo Alto one. It was far more customer-centric in the early days. They had (what looked to be) really good training classes. They were quite knowledgable and helpful across the board (not just Genius Bar). And, as noted, they were really focused on making the customer happy if thing hadn't gone so well.

Now, they seem to just be a 'higher end' retail experience. The Genius Bar people might still be good, but I actually try to avoid advice from the floor people. Unfortunately, my wife has trusted their advice over mine a couple of times and ended up with slightly the wrong thing. That said, I hope we get one here in Victoria BC one of these days. It would be convenient if nothing else.

FileMakerFeller said:
    Back in the day there was no clause in employment contracts stating that the company owned whatever you came up with on your own time. HP even had "10% time" where Friday afternoons were dedicated to whatever employees wanted to work on (Google later copied this for their "20% time" but was already working folks so hard that most of them just kept doing company tasks). HP was founder-run; when the two founders retired the company went into a death spiral - much like Apple, although the "second coming" of Steve boosted the company onto a new trajectory.
    There were, it just wasn't as standardized. It also went the other way (employer or employee benefit). We just have a lot more laws in place now and companies do more standardization.

I was 'forced' to sign a non-compete at one point early on in my career that wouldn't hold up in most places these days. But, in many places, there are now a lot of laws protecting reasonable rights for employees, if not overly so (such that they get abused and cost employers a good bit).
  • Reply 29 of 47
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I would really hope in three years Apple puts out a 50th anniversary something
    lkruppjas99
  • Reply 30 of 47
    “Back in the 1970s, it had its exciting first act, then it went through turmoil in the 1990s for its second,” No kidding. I worked for Apple from 1990-1999 and it had to be literally the worst decade for the company. The products were gray, bulky, expensive and boring. Leadership was all over the map with a string of CEOs coming and going. Almost went out of business. Even so, it remains one of the best work experiences I’ve had simply because the people working there were so amazing. I remain a loyal Apple fanatic and if cut, will bleed six colors.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    I would really hope in three years Apple puts out a 50th anniversary something
    Think of all the Apple killers that have come and gone over those 47 years. IBM is no longer in the PC business. Remember the phrase, "No one ever got fired for buying IBM" and the "It's all over for Apple" that came after that?  Amiga, Commodore, TRS, etc. Now we have Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer left as low cost commodity products bought on pallets for corporate use.

Back in 1982 there was something about Apple that made me know it was the one to buy even though it was more expensive.
    DAalsethronnsteve_jobsanantksundaram
  • Reply 32 of 47
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Apple is unique in the history of our planet. 
    hydrogen
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

Again, those types walk into an Apple Store thinking they’re better than anyone in there, that they know more than the people trying to help them, and pre-triggered to explode with rage when they don't get what they want. I know the type. I spent the first five years of my career at AT&T in the public business office dealing with that type of personality. It became a game to see how we could screw the pricks over. On the other hand we would bend over backwards to help someone who had a real problem but were decent human beings. 
    I work retail. I hear you loud and clear. I had one aggressive customer who wasted my time as well as demanded extra service after my shift and a kind customer who rushed in as fast as she could  to her appointments. Guess who got extra service and my time? It’s not hard. Be a dick and that’s what you get. Be kind and that’s also what you get. 
    jas99danielchow
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I was 4 years old! 
  • Reply 35 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
     Apple was founded 47 years ago, on April 1, 1976”….. and boy, how it has changed the world! 

Stunning. 
    jas99
  • Reply 36 of 47
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    They seem to have forgotten about the concentrate on a few opportunities and ignore all the other opportunities. 

What with making movies, etc.  instead of concentrating on making the Mac and iPhone and related the very best.   
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 47
    nubusnubus Posts: 382member
    Nice to see Tim Cook remember the past for once. The 40 years of Mac earlier this year didn't result in any special deals or products. Why not?

However... he should stop spending billions chasing Musk and Zuckerberg, add more memory to all devices, do less penny-pinching, get moving on AI, simplify the product range, stop his continuous political meltdown in EU+US, and deliver - simply deliver. Not like Car or Mac Pro or reintroducing HomePod or doing iPad Air with all-2022 tech in mid-2024.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nubus said:
    Nice to see Tim Cook remember the past for once. The 40 years of Mac earlier this year didn't result in any special deals or products. Why not?

However... he should stop spending billions chasing Musk and Zuckerberg, add more memory to all devices, do less penny-pinching, get moving on AI, simplify the product range, stop his continuous political meltdown in EU+US, and deliver - simply deliver. Not like Car or Mac Pro or reintroducing HomePod or doing iPad Air with all-2022 tech in mid-2024.
    That's a weird fucking post.
    StrangeDays13485ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    nubus said:

What sort of utter nonsense is this? Cook is one of the most successful CEOs of the century. Sounds like your soul is bored and you need to find fulfillment, but it won’t come from consumers products. Have you taken up reading? I find science-fiction a wonderful outlet for creative inspiration. 
    13485ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 47
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 136member
    A company can still be profitable and wealthy without being greedy and selfish.

I applaud Apple and other profitable companies that established their business model on compassion because they love what they do. 

The late CEO, Allen D. Kelly, of the PR company I used to work for in San Francisco said this to me: If you love what you do, it will show, and people will come back to you for more.

This thought took me on a journey that changed my idea of making profits and amassing wealth:

There is nothing unethical about making profits and amassing wealth. Still, there is so much wrong with them if they are at the expense of other humans, animals, and Earth because such a business model only leaves behind a trail of mess of depleted resources and very angry and bitter humans. Regarding the latter, remember Marie Antoinette? She lost her head.

edited April 1