macOS Monterey 12.3.1 now available with Bluetooth & external display fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2022
Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.3.1 with fixes for external displays, Bluetooth-related issues, and the Business Essentials program.

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 has been released
macOS Monterey 12.3.1 has been released

This is the first update to macOS since March 14, which introduced Universal Control to the operating system. Apple says that macOS 12.3.1 includes fixes for USB-C or Thunderbolt displays not turning on when connected to a 2018 Mac mini as a second display.

Apple also fixed an issue where Bluetooth devices like game controllers would disconnect from a Mac when Beats headphones were connected.

Two critical bugs were also addressed in the update that could allow an application to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges, or read kernel memory without restriction. Apple says both vulnerabilities may have been actively exploited.

The first issue relates to Apple AVD in which an out-of-bounds write issue gave apps the ability to execute arbitrary code. This was fixed with improved bounds checking. The issue was filed under CVE-2022-22675.

The second issue applied to an Intel Graphics Driver with an out-of-bounds read issue that gave an application the ability to read kernel memory. Apple fixed this bug with improved input validation. This issue was filed under CVE-2022-22674.

The build number for macOS 12.3.1 is 21E258 up from 21E230.

The Business Essentials program has exited beta and was also included with this release. The update will install automatically or can be installed via the System Preferences app in the Software Update menu.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Still not seeing it on any of my Macs ... and I've already updated two iPhones and an Apple Watch.
    keithwkillroytwokatmewPetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Still not seeing it on any of my Macs ... and I've already updated two iPhones and an Apple Watch.
    Same here in California.
    keithwkillroytwokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Same here in California.
    I guess it's been pulled.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    killroykillroy Posts: 271member
    Looks like they jumped the gun again.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    killroy said:
    Looks like they jumped the gun again.
    I've installed it on a M1 mini, with it having completed just now, but can't get it on my MBP.

There's clearly something going on. Some CDNs seem to have it, and some don't. We're trying to get some answers.
    keithwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    I asked Apple support if this would fix the AMD eGPU and iGPU issues seen by some and they said they didn't know. They said to "install the update and test it."  Sure, ok...

UPDATE- at least on my system, the AMD RX 6900 XT eGPU has returned to the old performance- 160,909 on Geekbench Metal.  So it's apparently fixed.

edited March 2022 gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Coming down for my Mac Studio now.  Just showed up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I just now installed it on my 2015 iMac here in San Francisco.  I had no problems downloading it and installing it.

I have two Apple TB2 monitors connected to my iMac and every so often, all three displays would go black for a second and go back to normal.  Never happened prior to macOS Monterey.  It wasn't a big deal but it did make me wonder.

So I'm curious if this update resolves that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I was able to download/install at the time this article first appeared. My Nimbus+ is being recognized by Apple Arcade again, so it appears to have resolved the issues with MFi controller connections.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Showing up on my biz macs.  Success all around.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JinTech said:
    Same here in California.
    I guess it's been pulled.
    No, it has not been pulled. Jeez.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

Apple says that macOS 12.3.1 includes fixes for USB-C or Thunderbolt displays not turning on when connected to a 2018 Mac mini as a second display.
    Here’s hoping it’s not just on the 2018 Mini. My USB-C portable monitor no longer works with my 2019 MacBook Pro either. I have to connect via hdmi and use usb-c to power it taking two of my ports now instead of just one…

Guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I install it… 🤞
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    S12S12 Posts: 25member
    Shows up on my Intel machines but not on any M1 Max MBP. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Same here in California.
    Same here in the UK - no sign if macOS 12.3.1 or iOS 15.4.1 despite both devices being on beta profiles 😳
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Seems you have to unenroll from the beta programs to get this (and iOS 15.4.1) updates - that’s crazy IMHO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Better not install it. Once you shut down and restart, you won't be able to work for more than 30 seconds - seems like they have introduced an auto-logoff feature. If you just keep your mac mini running without shutting it down, things work more or less.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    markusw56 said:
    Better not install it. Once you shut down and restart, you won't be able to work for more than 30 seconds - seems like they have introduced an auto-logoff feature. If you just keep your mac mini running without shutting it down, things work more or less.
    We can't reproduce this at all.
    watto_cobra