7457 RM canceled by Motorola, 970 on track

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From http://macbidouille.com/

Motorola has canceled the 7457RM that was supposed to arrive early 2004 but later was delayed to late 2004.

macbidouille does the interpretation that Motorola want to abandon the G4 all together. If that is the case or if the G4 migrate even deeper into the embedded market remain to be seen.

This suggest that Apple will move over to 970 faster as there will be no alternative betwen the IBM G3 and the IBM 970.

This is actually good news, now Apple do not have to worry how to juggle IBM cpus vs Motorola perhaps delivered some time

The bigger the customer Apple is the more clout they will have regarding the 9x0 CPUs....

Other good news is

IBM will deliver 1.4 GHz 970 May first while the faster will came 3 weeks later

Comments

• Reply 1 of 182
    How is that 'good' news...? I'd rather wait a month more and then get 1.8 Ghz 970... That's what people are waiting for...
  • Reply 2 of 182
    Assuming all the other hardware is sorted- delivery at the start of May, one month to screw them into a box and get them in a warehouse ready to ship (with faster ones being built as they are available). That get us to the start of June.

My birthday is on the 4th :-)

Assuming the May date is correct of course...
  • Reply 3 of 182
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    So there's still a chance we will see a PowerBook with a [email protected] before PowerMacs. And this could be good news indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 182
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    All you guys who are creaming your boxers for a 970 should relax at the prospect of only one supplier, whomever that is, because IBM has been as disinterested as Moto in the past, and could easily do so again. Does anyone launch a chip saying we're not commited to developing and using it? Honestly, you've heard this talk all over the industry before.

History suggests that IBM likes to sell a few PPC/Power based machines but that they are more than willing to provide X86 equivalents and BIG BIG Iron Power machines while they let the PPC business flounder. They have been as indifferent as Moto has been incompetent and the smart money says that they'll probably be indifferent again if they don't put down a critical mass installed base of PPC based IBM machines. They have the luxury of changing their minds because they can sell both the standard and custom solutions. If need be, they can even complete change architectures for their custom solutions -- and the 970 is much closer to custom solution than it is to any sort of standard architecture. In 3-4 years we may have the same complaints about IBM that we now have about moto.

Think about it.

About Moto. They do have a G5, and it is the future of their embedded business, if they're going to deskify an embedded chip why would they do it to a G4, when they can do it to the 85xx series chips?

If Apple is smart it will continue to use two suppliers. I think they want to, hence looming legal squables with mot, not to say F-U! But rather to get them back in the game.
  • Reply 5 of 182
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    http://macbidouille.com/ should employ someone to translate their articles into English. They are the largest source of unconfirmed Apple-rumors nowdays, and they should take advantage of that.
  • Reply 6 of 182
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    This is too funny...!

I went to their site, and copied the prevelent page into Google translation...

And the second article on the page is one where they are asking for French-English translators!

- Let us seek translators [ MÃ*J ] - Lionel - 10:40:51

We are in the searches of 3 or 4 Français-Anglais translators. Indeed, one of our great projects for the second six-month period 2003 is to make an English version of the site. Thus, the sections news and articles will be accessible to a greater number of foreign readers. Reassure, Macbidouille will remain the site which you know. The forums will remain in the language of Molière.

The translators will be integrated in the TEAM Macbidouille and will take part in the total life of the site. It is even probable that they become writers with whole share.

[ MÃ*J ] Thank you with all. The call to candidature is closed. We already will have to study the very many proposals.

And the prevelent PPC 970 bit:

- [ Rumour ] Motorola will give up the 7457 RM - Lionel - 09:20:57

The cloth does not finish any any more burning between Motorola and APPLE.

They notified in APPLE their intention to cease development of the successor of the 7457, the 7457RM, which was to use the interface rapid IO.

It was to use most of advanced of G5, abandoned since, while remaining in 32 Bits.

The 7457RM with the departure planned for the beginning of 2004 had already been pushed back at at the end of 2004.

You will note that this blow, Motorola preserved the 1 year of notice.

Comment except rumour: It is smelled well that Motorola wants to drop G4, now that APPLE ignores some for his top-of-the-range market. One can wonder which processor will be present in the machines of entry of range of APPLE, once the PPC 970 installed.

To counterbalance this bad news, will know that IBM will deliver chips PPC 970 to 1,4 GHz as from May first. The faster chips will be deliverable from the 21.

Cheers!

;^p
  • Reply 7 of 182
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ahhh the only problem is that of the many rumors MacBid has stated...no one has come true yet. I'll have to wait and see on this but I doubt this is true.
  • Reply 8 of 182
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

One can wonder which processor will be present in the machines of entry of range of APPLE, once the PPC 970 installed.

;^p

Well I believe that we may see GOBI, which I believe is a G3 with a VPU. I have read rumors that G3's have been running in excess of 1ghz, but Apple won't use them because it would create confusion with G4 speed issues. If the professional range moves to the 970, then these chips, if they really exist could then be used.
  • Reply 9 of 182
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Matsu

Why so glum about IBM? What once was low end UNIX servers now is gobbled up by Linux on x86. One way for IBM to have a part there is to sell blade servers with 970 CPUs running Linux and this is just one market for the Power 4 light edition AKA 970

Why the previous news was good news? IF IBM promise to manufacure 970 in 2003 2H and they do nto ship around Xmas that is still 2H but start shiping in May I call that good news. The G5 seem to be a hardware coresponding to the FlightSim "screming demons over europe" that was just around the corner in 1995 or so, still is...
  • Reply 10 of 182
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    He's glum because he's right. IBM turned their backs on us by refusing to support the G4 which in turned helped put Powermac performance in the crapper.

They've got alot of redeeming to do. Intel is trying to get their bread and butter also.

I do believe IBM has put their money where their mouth is though and I believe the Macs future depends on them for the immediate future. I trust them. I think "they get it" now.
  • Reply 11 of 182
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    So someone here actually knows the contractural relationship between IBM and Apple, doubt it.
  • Reply 12 of 182
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

How is that 'good' news...? I'd rather wait a month more and then get 1.8 Ghz 970... That's what people are waiting for...

OR more likely, Apple will announce both and ship the 1.4 GHz chips first and then the 1.8 chips later, just like the 12 and 17 inch powerbooks. You can announce things at the same time and ship seperately.
  • Reply 13 of 182
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

So someone here actually knows the contractural relationship between IBM and Apple, doubt it.

Thank you. This thread is full of crap.

News flash: you're not an expert in corporate relations between Apple, IBM, and/or Motorola.
  • Reply 14 of 182
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Interesting that just the other day there was a rumour posted about Apple suing Moto over the termination of the G5. This sounded bogus when it was about a chip that was supposed to show up a year ago that nobody saw any real proof of, but it is a lot more believable when applied to the 7457RM...
  • Reply 15 of 182
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Did Moto just cancel it? I wonder if this is a backlash to the rumored suit filed by Apple, or just another cause for the suit?
  • Reply 16 of 182
    Hey Matsu, we're excited about the 970 because it will be a huge leap up in performance for Macs. Yes, they will have to rely on a single CPU vendor. What are you trying to argue, that they stay at 1.4Ghz G4 forever, or go x86?

Those are the only other options Apple has right now. Considering those options, I think Apple made the right choice.

So, we have a single CPU maker. Isn't that the way it's been for most of Apple's history? Or for any computer maker's history? Most large x86 vendors don't use AMD or Cyrix/VIA.

I'd rather have a single CPU maker that cares about performance and has decent fabbing capabilities.

Motorola doesn't care about Apple. Period. They showed it when they axed the G5 project. They just don't have the money or engineering talent to hack it in the high-performance market anymore. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is.

Oh, and as for IBM turning their back on Apple, it didn't happen that way. Apple rejected IBM's designs for the G4 (hard to blame them, in 1999 the Mot G4 was an awesome looking CPU). IBM developed their own 4th-generation powerPC, the POWER4. IBM continued to develop very impressive G3s as well.
  • Reply 17 of 182
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    People seem to forget it was IBM that developed VMX, which became Altivec at Moto. IBM didn't want to use it as it required software optimisation while they wanted to develop it into a processor driven feature, preferring clockspeed over custom coding.

I think they now realise clockspeed and VMX are needed, whereas Moto depend on 'VMX' to prop them up.
  • Reply 18 of 182
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    MacBidouille says 1.4Ghz on the 1st of May, and the faster ones on the 21st. I would not expect anything beyond 1.8Ghz. By WWDC, Apple will have enough chips to ship new Powermacs.
  • Reply 19 of 182
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

MacBidouille says 1.4Ghz on the 1st of May, and the faster ones on the 21st. I would not expect anything beyond 1.8Ghz. By WWDC, Apple will have enough chips to ship new Powermacs.

If we're to believe the hype, 1.8GHz is equivalent to a 3.6GHz G4, but on an unchoked bus and with real DDR.

That will do
  • Reply 20 of 182
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Addditionally the 1.8ghz 970 is on par with a 2.8ghz Pllll as well, so the 1.8ghz is just the start of something goog