Weirdest Sport Prize goes to ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dwarf Tossing is Up there.....

but I've got a feeling their must be some pretty weird stuff going on that the rest of the world is just dying to know about...

I shudder to think

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    3) American football

2) Curling

1) Dart
  • Reply 2 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I am honored by your presence,

Do you mean Darts? ( as in sitting in pubs drinking copious amounts of beer & throwing little metal darts at a board) or Dart something else ?

Ever seen Tuna tossing ?

• Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

I am honored by your presence,

I would have thought otherwise

Quote:

Do you mean Darts? ( as in sitting in pubs drinking copious amounts of beer & throwing little metal darts at a board) or Dart something else ?

Yeah the pub thing (hate it when world on different languages are only almost alike)

Quote:

Ever seen Tuna tossing ?

Sounds like boxing weight classes: Tuna, cat, dachshund, pig and dwarf throwing.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I thpough Gandalf would not have approved of dwarf tossing.

( incidently, I never going to post political stuuf n nonsence its just toooo toooo serious.

I much prefer to have fun & magic, there is enough stress & anger in the world.

As to American Football.

Never been a great fan either.

Much prefer "Aerial Ping-Pong".
  • Reply 5 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's nothing weird about curling.

Weird.

Afgani polo, that one they play wih horses and a decapitated goat.

Dung tossing.

Figure skating and synchronized swimming.

Creepy? Ballroom dancing competitions, particularly the younger classes. That and The National Spelling Bee, hey, it's on the sports channel here.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Ohh forgot a classic:

Dildo throwing

Seems like the minute you throw anything it becomes a sport
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Ohh forgot a classic:

Dildo throwing

Seems like the minute you throw anything it becomes a sport

Is that what they were?

I can't be sure, but I think I saw a program where people lit Ken & Barbie dolls & lobbed them like grenades..Dang.....there's that war stuff again.

I wonder what passes for sport in Inuit culture? Blubber chucking.

• Reply 8 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Those various eating contests seem to have become a sport. You know like speed hotdog eating.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I used to watch kabbadi on Transworld Sport. It is a cross between rugby and 'tag-you're-it' (the childhood game that I'm sure has many varient names). One unique aspect is that the time limits are based on how long you can hold your breath.

Quote:

In Kabaddi, two teams compete with each other for higher scores, by touching or capturing the players of the opponent team. Each team consists of 12 players, of which seven are on court at a time, and five in reserve. The two teams fight for higher scores, alternating defence and offense. The court is as large as that for a dodge ball game. The game consists of two 20 minute halves, with a break of five minutes for change of sides.

The kabaddi playing area is 12.50m x 10m, divided by a line into two halves. The side winning the toss sends a 'raider', who enters the opponents' court chanting, 'kabaddi-kabaddi'. The raider's aim is to touch any or all players on the opposing side, and return to his court in one breath. The person, whom the raider touches, will then be out. The aim of the opposing team, will be to hold the raider, and stop him from returning to his own court, until he takes another breath. If the raider cannot return to his court in the same breath while chanting 'kabaddi', he will be declared out. Each team alternates in sending a player into the opponents' court. If a player goes out of the boundary line during the course of the play, or if any part of his body touches the ground outside the boundary, he will be out, except during a struggle.

• Reply 10 of 22
    That raises an interesting point. Is "sport " by definition something that consumes more calories than are taken in.

Is gluttony a sport ?

Speaking of things Intestinal, there's a place somewhere in France I think ( or was it the USA ) where the world's international Gob lobbers congregate to see how can " Spitball " the longest distance. Wind is taking into account and so it the angel of trajectory. ( don't stand dwnwind )
  • Reply 11 of 22
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    There is nothing quite like Cup Stacking! This is so stupid, but in a way they ARE mindboggingly fast.

www.speedstacks.com

and this video. I know it's windows media but...

http://stream.broadbandvideo.com//sp...wcsa_tape1.wmv

Ridiculous!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Cup stacking deserves a gong.

You remind about those endless domino peice things that they do in really boring places, where watching paint dry is a national past time. The awe of 100,000 dominos falling over.

Is that a weird sport or something invented by people who have way too much time on their hands ?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

There is nothing quite like Cup Stacking! This is so stupid, but in a way they ARE mindboggingly fast.

www.speedstacks.com

and this video. I know it's windows media but...

http://stream.broadbandvideo.com//sp...wcsa_tape1.wmv

Ridiculous!

You win.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Yeah,

I think Cup stacking deserves the Cup...!

Take a bow Matlock you get to take home as many " cup cakes " as you like.

• Reply 15 of 22
    I think Rod and Tod would like that game.

Cup Stacking? Yeaaaaaaa.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott

[B]I think Rod and Tod would like that game.

Who are Rod & Tod ?

• Reply 17 of 22
    Thanks for all the honors

Like someone said earlier, most of the "sports" we suggested are not really sports. They're closer to ludic (or ludicrous ) activities.

For actual sports, I would propose cricket. It looks fun and all, but I've never ever been able to get the rules. I might just be an idiot though.

For most ridiculous attempt at creating a professional sport: Mini Putt. I don't know about the U.S., but here in Canada it has/had its own weekly show. It comes complete: the host, the analyst (a former champion of course), interviews with players during the game, asking about the strategy for the remaining holes (Duh? Get the ball in the hole?).

Watching pro Mini Putt is a riot!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Matlock

[B]Thanks for all the honors

Like someone said earlier, most of the "sports" we suggested are not really sports. They're closer to ludic (or ludicrous ) activities.

For actual sports, I would propose cricket. It looks fun and all, but I've never ever been able to get the rules.

Hey, I hear that Canada recently fielded a cricket team in the International Cup. Apparently went a lot better than most punters expected.

The team must have been made up Cupstackers & mini Putt Putt Golfers plus some Psycho ice hockey dudes.

Way to Go Canada...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    blind hunters with firearms seems to me pretty weird 'sport'

running of the bulls, similarly darwin-in-progress

special merit award to the scandinavian wife-carrying obstacle race

(that is... piggyback spouse race performed in N.Europe.

Nordic bride optional... light, strong bride desirable.)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Maybe Golf could have a catagory of its own.

We could invite the International Golfing fraternity to visit Iraq & Afghanistan; the worlds two most heavily " Mined " countries & let them play in any field that has little skull & cross bone flags.

No fees, No rules, Just Hit the ball & follow it.......Bang

A 10 foot Putt....Bang! ...Bang....Bang...bang..Bang......

In less than a year we could effectively de-mine 1 million square miles as well as get rid of all the game of Golf for good.

No more snobs in Silly pants........

Pure Genius !

Ps See Caddyshack for inspiration