Apple, Netflix bail out of bidding war for Will Smith biopic amid controversy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    So,  I agree that it was not a good look for Will Smith what happened that night of the awards. But, at the same time we’re talking about a guys wife and she is dealing with some medical issue is what I’ve heard.  Really don’t spend time following actors that much as my own time is more valuable, but that is the info on this I believe.  There is a line there and I understand that he reacted.  If given more time to think about it in a non public place, maybe that would have been different.   Will apologized for his part in what happened.  I’m not sure I agree with him stepping down or resigning.  It’s at the point today where men can no longer be men,  everything has to be an act or show in and of itself and be politically correct.  I think The apology is enough and people and big companies like Apple and Netflix need to accept that.  
    One word: BATTERY. He committed battery. I wonder if those close to you would agree with your “men can no longer be men” dribble. By far the dumbest statement ever. Please stay single your entire life. 
    Thank you so much for your insult.  Obviously you are much better than me. 

Based on your logic, should Will Smith now get divorced and stay single the rest of his life?   He apologized and he stopped at
    the slap.  It was not even a punch.  It’s over.  I feel that the other guy Chris Rock is just as much to blame with his atrocious idea of what humor is.
    He was hostile to you, we can see that, but I have a non-hostile question for you. Would you feel the same way if Will Smith and slapped a white Oscar Host that hard (eg, Jimmy Kimmel)? Or a woman (eg, Amy Schumer)? Or an adult in a wheelchair (eg, Liza Minelli)? 
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Well, Biopic should wait as it seems there is a fair bit of his story arc yet to be lived.
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 49
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    So much for this ridiculous circus about an actor (Smith) who really isn’t that great.  But what if Chris Rock had fallen to the ground from the slap?  Moaned in agony on live TV? Or bled?  Bet that would change a lot of opinions.  That Rock stood the whole time and smiled in amazement made it seem less than it was?
    edited April 2022 marklarkwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 24 of 49
    M68000M68000 Posts: 724member
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    So,  I agree that it was not a good look for Will Smith what happened that night of the awards. But, at the same time we’re talking about a guys wife and she is dealing with some medical issue is what I’ve heard.  Really don’t spend time following actors that much as my own time is more valuable, but that is the info on this I believe.  There is a line there and I understand that he reacted.  If given more time to think about it in a non public place, maybe that would have been different.   Will apologized for his part in what happened.  I’m not sure I agree with him stepping down or resigning.  It’s at the point today where men can no longer be men,  everything has to be an act or show in and of itself and be politically correct.  I think The apology is enough and people and big companies like Apple and Netflix need to accept that.  
    One word: BATTERY. He committed battery. I wonder if those close to you would agree with your “men can no longer be men” dribble. By far the dumbest statement ever. Please stay single your entire life. 

Based on your logic, should Will Smith now get divorced and stay single the rest of his life?   He apologized and he stopped at
    the slap.  It was not even a punch.  It’s over.  I feel that the other guy Chris Rock is just as much to blame with his atrocious idea of what humor is.
    He was hostile to you, we can see that, but I have a non-hostile question for you. Would you feel the same way if Will Smith and slapped a white Oscar Host that hard (eg, Jimmy Kimmel)? Or a woman (eg, Amy Schumer)? Or an adult in a wheelchair (eg, Liza Minelli)? 
    I have to wonder if I should even respond since you now  include race\ethnicity here.   Things were between two men.  Race does not matter, nor should it. Your fantasy scenarios  are much different situations.  A guy hitting a woman is unacceptable and also somebody in a wheelchair is unacceptable regardless of that persons gender.   What we saw was somebody make fun of a medical condition that Will Smith’s wife has.  That is pretty low as far as I am concerned.  If the wife did not have to deal with that, it would have changed the whole thing.  Who knows the inner hurt she may be dealing with.  They went there to enjoy an evening there and instead had to deal with such hurtful words and situation all in the public eye.  Regarding user named “skeptical” who thinks they have some authority or right to tell me how to live my personal life,  I will not be responding to any further posts from them.  There is no reason to waste my time responding to somebody like that.
    edited April 2022 applguycommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mattinoz said:
    Well, Biopic should wait as it seems there is a fair bit of his story arc yet to be lived.
    Agreed. Best to let this one breathe for awhile until the chapter everyone really wants to see has a chance to play out. 
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 514member
    He was laughing at the joke until he turned and saw his wife wasn't laughing.  He could have (should have) sat in his seat and yelled at Chris Rock the same thing he yelled after the slap.  Same effect.  He'd have been a hero in his wife's eye's and the public's eyes.  Instead, violence.  He lessened the value of an Oscar after "#OscarsSoWhite" to the point that one has to wonder if the award is really given on merit or quota?  I don't watch anymore and have stopped watching any WS movies (except for Enemy of the State every now and then).

Will Will Smith be the next Mel Gibson or will we forgive and forget?

thtcommand_fmarklarkjony0watto_cobraqwerty52hcrefugee
  • Reply 27 of 49
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 514member
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

I have to wonder if I should even respond since you now  include race\ethnicity here.   Things were between two men.  Race does not matter, nor should it. Your fantasy scenarios  are much different situations.  A guy hitting a woman is unacceptable and also somebody in a wheelchair is unacceptable regardless of that persons gender.   What we saw was somebody make fun of a medical condition that Will Smith’s wife has.  That is pretty low as far as I am concerned.  If the wife did not have to deal with that, it would have changed the whole thing.  Who knows the inner hurt she may be dealing with.  They went there to enjoy an evening there and instead had to deal with such hurtful words and situation all in the public eye.  Regarding user named “skeptical” who thinks they have some authority or right to tell me how to live my personal life,  I will not be responding to any further posts from them.  There is no reason to waste my time responding to somebody like that.
    Will Smith thought it was funny.  He was laughing it up over the joke.  Remember?
    marklarkjony0qwerty52macguihcrefugee
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Chris Rock was doing what any Oscar host was doing. Will Smith found the joke funny, then changed his mind. 

I think Will should get what he deserved. Chris was the better man by not taking the matter any further.
    leavingthebiggargonautthtgrandact73marklarkjony0qwerty52hcrefugee
  • Reply 29 of 49
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

You don't have to respond to him, that's okay. But you should develop a thicker skin. (So should Will Smith!) You say it's okay for a man to hit a man. What if it was a woman who identified as a man? Would that be okay?
    marklarkqwerty52
  • Reply 30 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    You capitalise the word and repeat it as if to give it more intensity. 

Even the charge of battery is itself subject to severity. 

That is an important contextual element. Poking a finger into someone's shoulder isn't the same as breaking their nose with a clenched fist but that is not really pertinent here. 

This isn't about his direct actions per se. It's about the reaction to them by Netflix and Apple. 

No one is really attempting to justify his actions because he reacted in the wrong way and there is no getting away from that.

The real question is whether Apple and Netflix are acting out of conviction or are more concerned with public opinion. Fickle as that may be. 

I feel it is the latter and if that is the case, it is a pity. 
  • Reply 31 of 49
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

You really don't understand. 
    It's a physical aggression in the front of millions spectators’s eyes. Since Will Smith is a role model, his reaction can be seen by many people as the only way disputes between people could be solved. And that's called - anarchy!
    marklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Sticks and stones… something we learn when we are kids but somehow devolve as adults. 

To hit someone over something they said is wrong. It’s just words. Beyond that, what rock said wasn’t offensive. Her haircut does look military. She’s attractive and fit. GI Jane was not a hurtful reference. Sure, she is sensitive because of the REASON for her choice. But it’s the Oscar’s snd the comedian roast all the time. Heck, wil smith himself does it but worse than rock did. 

That said, whether it’s Hollywood, a schoolyard, the WWE, sports, music, etc., everyone loves a fake beef. It sells boxing tickets, weestlemanias, UFC matches, and sells record albums. 

It’s no secret the Oscar’s have been tanking in the ratings over the past 5 years. Eve after black actors changed the racial status quo. 

It needed a ratings miracle. And it got one for next time. You could t escape talk about the incident afterward. It’s all anyone was publicizing. Because it was as a publicity stunt. 

Of course they can’t walk it back now. There is too much investment. So will is going to have to sacrifice for his skillet moment. 

These guys don’t deserve the rent free space in peoples minds they are dwelling in. 

marklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    qwerty52 said:
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

It's a physical aggression in the front of millions spectators’s eyes. Since Will Smith is a role model, his reaction can be seen by many people as the only way disputes between people could be solved. And that's called - anarchy!
    But he did apologize.  I guess that does not mean anything?  Look at the irony of all the violence that is part of tv shows and movies over and over everyday.  You will say it is fiction, but look at that nevertheless.   I think I’m done responding to this topic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    M68000 said:
    qwerty52 said:
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

But he did apologize.  I guess that does not mean anything?  Look at the irony of all the violence that is part of tv shows and movies over and over everyday.  You will say it is fiction, but look at that nevertheless.   I think I’m done responding to this topic.
    You have managed to be  misogynistic  and think fictional violence is worse than real violence. Probably for the best that you stop talking. That hole is only getting deeper. 
    davqwerty52
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Dr. Dre threw a woman down a flight of stairs in public and then joked about it and Tim Cook loves him.
    Dre's biopic was pulled. Dre was managed out of Apple.
    davmarklarkwatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 36 of 49
    M68000 said:
    qwerty52 said:
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:

You have managed to be  misogynistic  and think fictional violence is worse than real violence. Probably for the best that you stop talking. That hole is only getting deeper. 
    Yes, tv shows and movies are fictional.  Of course real violence is worse.  Do you think making fun of somebody’s medical or health issues is okay?  That is the whole point of why Will reacted that way in the heat of the moment.  This Chris Rock guy had most likely planned his so called humor well in advance and he thinks it is okay.  He had plenty of time to consider his “jokes”.  Well,  some people don’t think it is okay.  I don’t know if Chris rock apologized too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Nuance is a thing.  We can be upset about Rock's tasteless joke, disappointed at Smith's response, skeptical of Jada's somewhat less than completely respectful treatment of Will, and disgusted at the double standard that protects a "star" from criminal charges all at the same time.
    watto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 38 of 49
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Will might be in an abusive relationship.  In the heat of the moment, he laughed, then saw Jada, then changed his personality.  We don't know if Chris knew of Jada's condition, but he did preface the joke by saying, "Jada, I love ya."
    marklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 49
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    sflocal said:
    It will be a LONG time - if ever - for Will Smith to ever be relevant again in Hollywood.  Proof that all his words of years past were empty.
    Wrong. More like proof that racism is systemic in America—and it’s not always obvious. 

What if these were two white men? Would there be this much drama over the whole thing?

Furthermore, why are we, as a violent society, where everything on media is based on violence, so incredibly offended by this and not outraged by any other violent act? For fucks sake, super bowl Sunday is the day when the most physical abuse towards spouses occurs.

Get your priorities straight, stop being hypocrites. I noticed there’s enough outrage for the war in Ukrain, but not quite enough for us to do something about. An even more glaring example of racism is being expressed by our news by trying to justify why we are willing to open our borders because of someone’s skin color and their geographic origin. When newscasters are justifying it by calling Ukrainians (Europeans) more “civilized” than their Middle East counterparts, maybe it’s time to start looking inwards and see where in the spectrum your racism lies. 

No one—NO ONE—is talking about the slaughter the state of Israel is inflicting on Palestinians right now with the express permission of the US. Again, this is something to be outraged about. I say let Mr. Smith work it out with Mr. Rock and their lawyers. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 40 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Chris Rock was doing what any Oscar host was doing. Will Smith found the joke funny, then changed his mind. 

I think Will should get what he deserved. Chris was the better man by not taking the matter any further.
    The event seems to have triggered something in him. His wife has hair loss and was being made fun of for it in front of a global audience.

https://people.com/movies/will-smith-reveals-he-once-contemplated-killing-his-father-in-new-memoir-read-excerpt/

"My father was violent, but he was also at every game, play, and recital. He was an alcoholic, but he was sober at every premiere of every one of my movies. He listened to every record. He visited every studio. The same intense perfectionism that terrorized his family put food on the table every night of my life."

"When I was nine years old, I watched my father punch my mother in the side of the head so hard that she collapsed. I saw her spit blood. That moment in that bedroom, probably more than any other moment in my life, has defined who I am."

"Within everything that I have done since then — the awards and accolades, the spotlights and attention, the characters and the laughs — there has been a subtle string of apologies to my mother for my inaction that day. For failing her in the moment. For failing to stand up to my father. For being a coward." 

"What you have come to understand as "Will Smith," the alien-annihilating MC, the bigger-than-life movie star, is largely a construction – a carefully crafted and honed character – designed to protect myself. To hide myself from the world. To hide the coward."

"One night, as I delicately wheeled him from his bedroom toward the bathroom, a darkness arose within me. The path between the two rooms goes past the top of the stairs. As a child I'd always told myself that I would one day avenge my mother. That when I was big enough, when I was strong enough, when I was no longer a coward, I would slay him."

"I paused at the top of the stairs. I could shove him down, and easily get away with it. As the decades of pain, anger, and resentment coursed then receded, I shook my head and proceeded to wheel Daddio to the bathroom."

"There is nothing that you can receive from the material world that will create inner peace or fulfillment. In the end, it will not matter one single bit how well [people] loved you — you will only gain 'the Smile' based on how well you loved them."

Will Smith was put in that situation again being made to feel like a coward while someone he cared about was being attacked, with the world watching. He could have sat there and taken it and have the videos circulated online afterwards, people repeating the jokes. He decided to make it clear to Chris Rock and others that this was crossing a line. In his acceptance speech he said "love will make you do crazy things" and mentioned his mother, wife and family.

While there has to be zero tolerance of physical altercations in scenarios like these, it was a mild altercation. Hollywood has stood by far worse characters (Weinstein, Epstein, Spacey, Polanski) for years knowing full well what they did.

Maybe Will Smith deserves a cooling off period but cancelling everything doesn't seem justified. It wouldn't be hard for Apple's PR team to justify airing a show like this by pointing to his positive contributions over the years and overall being a good role model. They could work this event into the biopic to offer more perspective on it.
    M68000ronnmuthuk_vanalingambestkeptsecretwatto_cobrapscooter63