New AirPods Pro may finally arrive in late 2022, replacing current model

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple will release an updated version of AirPods Pro in the second half of 2022, and will likely discontinue its current model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

AirPods Pro 2 render
AirPods Pro 2 render

The TF Securities analyst made the forecast in a tweet on Tuesday that focused on third-generation AirPods orders. Kuo said that because of a "failed product segmentation strategy," demand for AirPods 3 is "significantly lower" than AirPods 2.

To remedy that going forward, the analyst believes Apple will discontinue its current generation AirPods Pro after the release of second-generation AirPods Pro in the second half of 2022 to "avoid repeating the same mistake."

AirPods 3 orders for 2-3Q22 have been cut by 30%+. Due to the failed product segmentation strategy, demand for AirPods 3 is significantly weaker than for AirPods 2. AirPods Pro may get discontinued after Apple launches AirPods Pro 2 in 2H22 to avoid repeating the same mistake.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

The analyst added that AirPods 3 orders have been cut by about 30%.

Current rumors suggest that second-generation AirPods Pro could sport a new stemless design, support for lossless audio playback, and improved on-device intelligence, among other new features.

Additional rumors also hint that the new AirPods Pro could have more health features -- such as heart rate sensors or accelerometers -- and a new charging case that sports improved Find My capabilities.

Kuo's prediction that second-generation AirPods Pro will launch in the second half of 2022 line up with current rumors that the updated headphones will see a debut late in the year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Sorry for the irrelevant post, but is there a way to get notifications (via email or something) whenever someone comments on your post here? 
    byronl
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Hello Apple ߍnsider I have a question I have the AirPods Pro  so what you are saying is that they will be replaced with the new AirPods Pro ok do I have to paid for a new order ? 
    Okay so my question was answer and to be honest the ones I have still work AirPods Pro I never had to replace them never did I had any problems since I purchased them and for that thank you very much Apple 🍎. I had read the blog to my understanding now there’s a issue with the iPods pro and now they taking about replacing them ok so since they are bien replaced  why should we be charged for the new pair? 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hello Apple 🍎 Insider I have a question I have the AirPods Pro  so what you are saying is that they will be replaced with the new AirPods Pro ok do I have to paid for a new order ? 
    You will have to buy the new ones yes. 
    TheObannonFilebyronl
  • Reply 4 of 10
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I love my AirPods Pro, but I have had to replace seven earpieces (due to the known issue) and one case (stopped charging) under warranty. 

Here's hoping the new generation do better.
    byronl
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I bought a pair of AirPods 3 relatively recently and have been impressed so far. They are MUCH better for use with ATV than either the 2nd gen AirPods or 1st gen AirPods Pro. Looking forward to 2nd gen AirPods Pro as well since there are definitely situations where I want noise cancelling along with the highly portable size.
    llama
  • Reply 6 of 10
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    The fact that Apple discontinues the current “Pro”-monikered device when releasing a new generation is nothing new. You can only get an iPhone 13 Pro from Apple, no longer a 12 Pro. Can’t get the prior-generation iPad Pro. Where are the 13” and 15” Intel-based MacBook Pros? Gone. (Ok, they still kept the first 13” M1-based MacBook Pro, but as an entry-level MBP that may have numbered days when the next MacBook Air (probably with M2) debuts. The same happens with anything on the high-end / high-performance side of Apple.  The Mac Studio replaced the iMac Pro.  Want a titanium-finish Apple Watch? You’ll only get it currently with the Series 7. I can guarantee that the current Mac Pro will similarly vanish when the Apple Silicon one debuts. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I’m expecting to be disappointed with the 2nd generation. I skipped the original AirPods because because I had no confidence that they would stay in my ears and because I also require noise reduction. I heard reviews of the AirPods Pro that they would stay in better so I bought a pair of those but they still fall out of my ears. I’m skeptical that the AirPods Pro 2 will stay in any better.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m expecting to be disappointed with the 2nd generation. I skipped the original AirPods because because I had no confidence that they would stay in my ears and because I also require noise reduction. I heard reviews of the AirPods Pro that they would stay in better so I bought a pair of those but they still fall out of my ears. I’m skeptical that the AirPods Pro 2 will stay in any better.
    The AirPods Pro 2 are also rumored to come in 2 sizes, because many people had that same problem with the originals. So, you might be in luck. In the meantime, you should check out the foam tips from Comply. I know a few people who solved their slippage issues with them. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfred1
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Hello Apple ߍnsider I have a question I have the AirPods Pro  so what you are saying is that they will be replaced with the new AirPods Pro ok do I have to paid for a new order ? 
    Okay so my question was answer and to be honest the ones I have still work AirPods Pro I never had to replace them never did I had any problems since I purchased them and for that thank you very much Apple 🍎. I had read the blog to my understanding now there’s a issue with the iPods pro and now they taking about replacing them ok so since they are bien replaced  why should we be charged for the new pair? 
    What? It’s a new product, not a literal replacement for the ones you bought. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn