Apple, Netflix bail out of bidding war for Will Smith biopic amid controversy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    jony0jony0 Posts: 380member
    His wife has hair loss and was being made fun of for it in front of a global audience.
    His wife sadly has a medical condition like many others, to no fault of hers and something she clearly didn't want. But she chose to be open about it and talk about it, she chose to cut her hair and also chose to share it on social media. She received much support and compliments from other stars. This was all out in the open, as well as their open relationship.

I was unaware of all of this because I don't follow Hollywood that much. I took the joke as many did, a parallel to her choice of hairdo and GI Jane's, and thought that it was maybe even a complimentary nod to her that even at her age she still could pull it off with such a role. I even saw WS himself enjoying the joke, just like many others in the crowd who presumedly were mostly aware of her situation.

I didn't think it was mean spirited but there could be some history there that I am not aware of, yet it does matter if it hurts her. However I have heard much worse from the likes of Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, even other award hosts like Ricky Gervais and the countless others on Dean Martin Roasts and other shows, none of which got anywhere near physical, and that matters too. WS opened a door that should have always remained closed. There's no place for hate speech, but this wasn't it, and there's no place for violence in response to words, full stop.
    Will Smith was put in that situation again being made to feel like a coward while someone he cared about was being attacked, with the world watching. 
    WS was put in that situation again being made to feel like an insensitive ass while someone he cared about was not reacting like he was, completely oblivious to her feelings, while the world was watching. She was not attacked, Chris Rock was ; she may have been insulted, but he was definitely assaulted.
    edited April 2022 tht
  • Reply 42 of 49
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    qwerty52 said:
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    So,  I agree that it was not a good look for Will Smith what happened that night of the awards. But, at the same time we’re talking about a guys wife and she is dealing with some medical issue is what I’ve heard.  Really don’t spend time following actors that much as my own time is more valuable, but that is the info on this I believe.  There is a line there and I understand that he reacted.  If given more time to think about it in a non public place, maybe that would have been different.   Will apologized for his part in what happened.  I’m not sure I agree with him stepping down or resigning.  It’s at the point today where men can no longer be men,  everything has to be an act or show in and of itself and be politically correct.  I think The apology is enough and people and big companies like Apple and Netflix need to accept that.  
    One word: BATTERY. He committed battery. I wonder if those close to you would agree with your “men can no longer be men” dribble. By far the dumbest statement ever. Please stay single your entire life. 
    Thank you so much for your insult.  Obviously you are much better than me. 

Based on your logic, should Will Smith now get divorced and stay single the rest of his life?   He apologized and he stopped at
    the slap.  It was not even a punch.  It’s over.  I feel that the other guy Chris Rock is just as much to blame with his atrocious idea of what humor is.
    He was hostile to you, we can see that, but I have a non-hostile question for you. Would you feel the same way if Will Smith and slapped a white Oscar Host that hard (eg, Jimmy Kimmel)? Or a woman (eg, Amy Schumer)? Or an adult in a wheelchair (eg, Liza Minelli)? 
    I have to wonder if I should even respond since you now  include race\ethnicity here.   Things were between two men.  Race does not matter, nor should it. Your fantasy scenarios  are much different situations.  A guy hitting a woman is unacceptable and also somebody in a wheelchair is unacceptable regardless of that persons gender.   What we saw was somebody make fun of a medical condition that Will Smith’s wife has.  That is pretty low as far as I am concerned.  If the wife did not have to deal with that, it would have changed the whole thing.  Who knows the inner hurt she may be dealing with.  They went there to enjoy an evening there and instead had to deal with such hurtful words and situation all in the public eye.  Regarding user named “skeptical” who thinks they have some authority or right to tell me how to live my personal life,  I will not be responding to any further posts from them.  There is no reason to waste my time responding to somebody like that.

You really don't understand. 
    It's a physical aggression in the front of millions spectators’s eyes. Since Will Smith is a role model, his reaction can be seen by many people as the only way disputes between people could be solved. And that's called - anarchy!
    This thread is really coming off the rails now. It’s not called “anarchy”, ffs. It’s called “battery” and the innocent masses that you are so concerned for see it countless times a day on the news, tv shows, video games, and the very films being celebrated every year at that same ceremony. Anyone that watched that and decided that his reaction was “the only way disputes between people could be solved” must truly be a moron. 
    ronn
  • Reply 43 of 49
    avon b7 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    So,  I agree that it was not a good look for Will Smith what happened that night of the awards. But, at the same time we’re talking about a guys wife and she is dealing with some medical issue is what I’ve heard.  Really don’t spend time following actors that much as my own time is more valuable, but that is the info on this I believe.  There is a line there and I understand that he reacted.  If given more time to think about it in a non public place, maybe that would have been different.   Will apologized for his part in what happened.  I’m not sure I agree with him stepping down or resigning.  It’s at the point today where men can no longer be men,  everything has to be an act or show in and of itself and be politically correct.  I think The apology is enough and people and big companies like Apple and Netflix need to accept that.  
    One word: BATTERY. He committed battery. I wonder if those close to you would agree with your “men can no longer be men” dribble. By far the dumbest statement ever. Please stay single your entire life. 
    You capitalise the word and repeat it as if to give it more intensity. 

Even the charge of battery is itself subject to severity. 

That is an important contextual element. Poking a finger into someone's shoulder isn't the same as breaking their nose with a clenched fist but that is not really pertinent here. 

This isn't about his direct actions per se. It's about the reaction to them by Netflix and Apple. 

No one is really attempting to justify his actions because he reacted in the wrong way and there is no getting away from that.

The real question is whether Apple and Netflix are acting out of conviction or are more concerned with public opinion. Fickle as that may be. 

I feel it is the latter and if that is the case, it is a pity. 
    Why is it a pity? If the popular opinion was that it was no big deal, and Netflix and Apple bowed out anyway, then they would be chastised by the public for it. So what if they did follow the public opinion? They aren’t your priest or rabbi, they are corporations that exist solely to make a profit. The real question is why some people need to look to corporations for their spiritual or moral guidance. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 49
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    Thank you so much for your insult.  Obviously you are much better than me. 

Based on your logic, should Will Smith now get divorced and stay single the rest of his life?   He apologized and he stopped at
    the slap.  It was not even a punch.  It’s over.  I feel that the other guy Chris Rock is just as much to blame with his atrocious idea of what humor is.
    He was hostile to you, we can see that, but I have a non-hostile question for you. Would you feel the same way if Will Smith and slapped a white Oscar Host that hard (eg, Jimmy Kimmel)? Or a woman (eg, Amy Schumer)? Or an adult in a wheelchair (eg, Liza Minelli)? 
    I have to wonder if I should even respond since you now  include race\ethnicity here.   Things were between two men.  Race does not matter, nor should it. Your fantasy scenarios  are much different situations.  A guy hitting a woman is unacceptable and also somebody in a wheelchair is unacceptable regardless of that persons gender.   What we saw was somebody make fun of a medical condition that Will Smith’s wife has.  That is pretty low as far as I am concerned.  If the wife did not have to deal with that, it would have changed the whole thing.  Who knows the inner hurt she may be dealing with.  They went there to enjoy an evening there and instead had to deal with such hurtful words and situation all in the public eye.  Regarding user named “skeptical” who thinks they have some authority or right to tell me how to live my personal life,  I will not be responding to any further posts from them.  There is no reason to waste my time responding to somebody like that.
    You don't have to respond to him, that's okay. But you should develop a thicker skin. (So should Will Smith!) You say it's okay for a man to hit a man. What if it was a woman who identified as a man? Would that be okay?
    And what if Chris Rock had ducked out of the way? Would Smith have made a second attempt to hit him?  It’s pointless to argue about and speculate on hypotheticals. All it does is weaken the point. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,980member
    Japhey said:
    avon b7 said:
    Skeptical said:
    M68000 said:
    You capitalise the word and repeat it as if to give it more intensity. 

Even the charge of battery is itself subject to severity. 

That is an important contextual element. Poking a finger into someone's shoulder isn't the same as breaking their nose with a clenched fist but that is not really pertinent here. 

This isn't about his direct actions per se. It's about the reaction to them by Netflix and Apple. 

No one is really attempting to justify his actions because he reacted in the wrong way and there is no getting away from that.

The real question is whether Apple and Netflix are acting out of conviction or are more concerned with public opinion. Fickle as that may be. 

I feel it is the latter and if that is the case, it is a pity. 
    Why is it a pity? If the popular opinion was that it was no big deal, and Netflix and Apple bowed out anyway, then they would be chastised by the public for it. So what if they did follow the public opinion? They aren’t your priest or rabbi, they are corporations that exist solely to make a profit. The real question is why some people need to look to corporations for their spiritual or moral guidance. 
    It's a pity because public opinion is fickle and bowing to it makes me sigh. 

If they had an interest in acquiring the rights to the film, this incident shouldn't be enough to swing things based on what public opinion may be at the moment. It could be different tomorrow. 

As for profit, the film would probably generate more streaming interest than if nothing had hadn't. More economic reason to keep bidding. 

Corporations aren't there for spiritual or moral guidance because they are fickle and shallow too. 

It is no big deal at the end of the day of course and that is why I used the word pity and not something like travesty. 

I don't give a hoot about Will Smith and his problems. I have people in my own family with far worse problems than he will ever have. I've enjoyed some of his work just like I've enjoyed so many others.

Maybe I'm too forgiving but I see this slapping incident as a big mistake. I'm sure he sees it that way too. I doubt Rick meant any harm either with the comment.

It would be nice if Smith actually got together with Rock in private and apologised face to face but for all I know, maybe he already has.

FWIW, I think Rock handled the incident brilliantly. 
    muthuk_vanalingamqwerty52
  • Reply 46 of 49
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,425member
    Rock made a joke, that's what comedians do. Whether it was in poor taste or not is opinion, and people make their choice. Rock has stated that he didn't know about Jada's alopecia and nobody's proven otherwise. I don't think it matters, it was a joke.

Smith laughed and it looks to me like he got a cue from Jada that wasn't thrilled. That's the extent of "Smith was put into a situation". Because the truth is he put himself into the situation.

Rock made a joke and Smith committed a crime. That it was a slap and not a punch is irrelevant other than the fallout could have been much worse for Smith. Still a chargeable offense. There's no doubt in my mind that the LA DA would have filed if Rock had made a criminal complaint. No doubt. Nobody would have risked being accused of "if he had slapped a white man..." racism. Rock has stated that he wouldn't press charges.

There is no justification for Smith's behavior. He was wrong and he knows it, even of others are clueless. I'd give anything to see Gervais make a joke about Jada's boyfriend and see how the couple reacted to that. 

That Jaden Smith tweeted "That's how we do it" is also telling. Too many fail to see that violence isn't OK and not how we "should do it". I expect we may hear about Jaden in the future, doing something illegal and violent.

Dumping Smith isn't an act of political correctness. It's notice that actions have consequences, and Smith has only himself to blame.
    thtjony0hcrefugeetmay
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Sad day. I love Will Smith's movies but this incident changes my view on him 180 degree completely. His career will be going down hill from this point on. This is the time to reflect himself on who he is and learning to take control of his emotion. I can't stand looking at him now but at the same time I wish him the best on redeeming himself and pulling himself out of this whole mess.
    edited April 2022 tht
  • Reply 48 of 49
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,091member
    avon b7 said:

If Apple and Netflix were bidding for what would be a biopic then this kind of 'politically correct' decision is unfortunate. 

The film will get a release at some point anyway. 

There was nothing "politically correct" about it. This was strictly business. After Smith committed a shocking assault on live, global television, it would have been an insane and reckless business decision for either Apple or Netflix to stay in a bidding war and pay a fortune for the rights to make a biographical film about "nice guy" Will Smith's life. Not a big audience for that in the foreseeable future and both companies would have gotten absolutely excoriated for further enriching one of THE very richest people in Hollywood after he had literally just committed a violent crime against a fellow performer on stage. Smith is a muscular, 6'2" guy who sucker-slugged Rock, who had no chance to even brace himself for getting hit because it was unimaginable that it was going to happen...which was further proven when no one could believe it was real even after he hit him. And Smith can thank the kindness of Rock for not pressing charges as the only thing that kept him out of court. Smith was also a total douchebag about it after the fact, which didn't help, until his PR people finally talked some sense into him days later when he issued a proper apology. Then, to top it all off, he quit the Academy just so he could avoid any disciplinary action being taken against him, like being expelled. So even after all that has happened, he still won't own what he did and accept the consequences. 

Well, it will take a long time before he's not considered box office poison. Here's the thing about actors in movies--if people don't like you, they have no interest in your films. 
    edited April 2022 macguitmayravnorodomtht
  • Reply 49 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    M68000 said:
    A grown man would have immediately stood up and gone backstage and called Chris Rock out on the joke if it bothered him so much..period. If that meant Chris gets smacked after you make him aware of the Alopecia so be it, then you deal with the repercussions of that. Will slapped a smaller man and smirked about it like a bully and a POS, not a husband and protector. Rock also didn't know about the Alopecia prior to tell the joke.. so there's that as well.

Chris Rock has a history of being bullied from his childhood as well as being diagnosed with non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD) a few years back. Yet he was the one to take the high road when this whole things happened and didn't mention anything about any of his personal mental health issues, or bullying. The linked article about his NVLD is from 2020 so this isn't something that just leaked out after the incident.

He didn't apologize directly to Chris at all in the speech.. he made it about him and gaslighting in an attempt to make himself look like a protector? I do agree with you that a genuine apology would help a lot.. but does not make up for physically assaulting anyone. Why should Will just get to apologize away assaulting someone when Chris wasn't given the same opportunity after the stupid joke?

tht