Here's what differentiates MLB on Apple TV+ versus regular broadcasts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2022
Baseball game broadcasts vary across the wide array of stations and networks hosting the games. Apple's "Friday Night Baseball" broadcasts will stand apart both technically and with the talent they select to broadcast the games. Here's how.

Apple says that the broadcasts will be produced by MLB Network's production team in partnership with Apple. Each game broadcast utilizes high-tech cameras tailored for sports broadcasts including high-speed Phantom cameras, the high-resolution Megalodon comprising a Sony a7R camera with Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens mounted on a DJI Ronin-S gimbal, associated monitor, and battery backpack. Sound is mixed for Dolby 5.1 with spatial audio enabled.

"Friday Night Baseball" will also include new probability-based forecasts of different outcomes of the play, plus highlights and live look-ins from around the league during the game. Also during the game, there will be on-screen call-outs about batters' walk-up songs from Apple Music, trivia quizzes with Siri, and rules analysis and live interpretation from former MLB umpire Brian Gorman.

Pre- and post-game coverage will be hosted by Lauren Gardner. A rotating group of analysts and former Major League Baseball (MLB) players will also provide color, including Carlos Pena, Cliff Floyd, and Yonder Alonso.

The New York Mets at the Washington Nationals game will be hosted by play-by-play caller Melanie Newman. Analysts Chris Young, Hannah Keyser, and Brooke Fletcher. Play-by-play caller Stephen Nelson, Hunter Pence, Katie Nolan, and Heidi Watney will announce the Houston Astros at the Los Angeles Angels game at 9:30 p.m. ET. Game assignments for "Friday Night Baseball" broadcasters will be announced on a weekly basis.

As part of "Friday Night Baseball," fans will be able to watch key games without local broadcast restrictions. The weekly double-header will be viewable in the United States, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, and the United Kingdom, and will be free for a limited time without a need for an Apple TV+ subscription.

The "Friday Night Baseball" games will be viewable on any device that can play Apple TV+ content, including the Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Mac, supported smart TVs, game consoles, and cable set-top boxes.

"Friday Night Baseball" is a major coup for Apple, with it venturing into the field of live sports broadcasting. It is believed that Apple paid around $85 million as part of a $115 million deal between it, NBC Sports, and the MLB.

The released first-half schedule follows:
  • Friday, April 8: New York Mets at Washington Nationals 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 8: Houston Astros at Los Angeles Angels 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 15: Tampa Bay Rays at Chicago White Sox 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 15: Cincinnati Reds at Los Angeles Dodgers 10 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 22: St. Louis Cardinals at Cincinnati Reds 6:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 22: Texas Rangers at Oakland Athletics 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 29: New York Yankees at Kansas City Royals 8 p.m. ET
  • Friday, April 29: Washington Nationals at San Francisco Giants 10 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 6: Chicago White Sox at Boston Red Sox 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 6: Tampa Bay Rays at Seattle Mariners 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 13: San Diego Padres at Atlanta Braves 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 13: Chicago Cubs at Arizona Diamondbacks 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 20: St. Louis Cardinals at Pittsburgh Pirates 6:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 20: Texas Rangers at Houston Astros 8 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 27: Baltimore Orioles at Boston Red Sox 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, May 27: Toronto Blue Jays at Los Angeles Angels 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 3: Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees 7 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 3: Atlanta Braves at Colorado Rockies 8:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 10: Tampa Bay Rays at Minnesota Twins 8 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 10: New York Mets at Los Angeles Angels 9:30 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 17: Chicago White Sox at Houston Astros 8 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 17: Cleveland Guardians at Los Angeles Dodgers 10 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 24: Chicago Cubs at St. Louis Cardinals 8 p.m. ET
  • Friday, June 24: Detroit Tigers at Arizona Diamondbacks 9:30 p.m. ET
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Hope it works out for Apple. 

I personally have stopped watching pro sports.  Almost anything else I have to do is more interesting and useful than pro sports on the boobtube.  Bunch of overpaid boys (or girls depending on the sport) who think they (and their opinion) are vitally important to the well being of the world… 

Ymmv
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    chadbag said:

I personally have stopped watching pro sports.  Almost anything else I have to do is more interesting and useful than pro sports on the boobtube.  Bunch of overpaid boys (or girls depending on the sport) who think they (and their opinion) are vitally important to the well being of the world… 

Ymmv
    Like reading articles and commenting in online forums about it?
    ronnAppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Japhey said:
    Yes. Reading articles in order to learn more about things and then (if able) to pass on something you think will add to the conversation (I’m in the same camp as Chadbag) — not trying to be a snob, I’ve just made myself busy with lots of other activities, including this one — which I find more fun/interesting — and ultimately watching TV sports encourages sloth and physical deterioration, which is silly when you can find out (if you care) who won later.

If you find watching TV sports fun/exciting/a pleasurable way to use your time, that’s fine! I certainly put in my time when I was younger, but now I feel a bent to be more productive, conversational/social, and learning — which among other things this and other sites offer me.
    edited April 2022 radarthekatlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chasm said:
    Japhey said:
    Yes. Reading articles in order to learn more about things and then (if able) to pass on something you think will add to the conversation (I’m in the same camp as Chadbag) — not trying to be a snob, I’ve just made myself busy with lots of other activities, including this one — which I find more fun/interesting — and ultimately watching TV sports encourages sloth and physical deterioration, which is silly when you can find out (if you care) who won later.

If you find watching TV sports fun/exciting/a pleasurable way to use your time, that’s fine! I certainly put in my time when I was younger, but now I feel a bent to be more productive, conversational/social, and learning — which among other things this and other sites offer me.
    Thats exactly what I was doing by pointing out the irony in the original post. Just trying to inject a little good natured humor, not start an intellectual debate about time management priorities. I’m not dismissing the rest of your post either, as much of it I agree with. Just saying…

Anyway, apologies to Chadbag if you were offended. That certainly wasn’t my intent. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    chadbag said:

Ymmv
    Actually in terms of revenue generated pro athletes are underpaid. My problem with pro sports are the owners who leech off half or more of the revenue. 

Not a fan a free speech ehh?
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    I'm actually watching more live sports the past two years due to the Pandemic. So I'm looking forward to this, especially the live look-ins so I can keep up with several games at once. The Yankees Yes App is a good model of robust features that has enlivened watching games. Hope it is a polished, updated effort from Apple+MLB. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    chadbag said:

Ymmv
    Moving overseas was the impetus for breaking the cycle for me.  I was a football and baseball fan, but living in a different culture (basketball is all the rage here in The Philippines) and being more active in travel and outdoor activities, like climbing volcanoes, caused me to have a new take on spectatorship.  I’ve seen one Super Bowl in the six years I’ve been overseas, and not a single MLB game.  
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    chadbag said:
    I personally have stopped watching pro sports.  Almost anything else I have to do is more interesting and useful than pro sports on the boobtube.
    I agree. Time spent watching sports is time that could be spent playing it.

I think professional sports is kinda like outsourcing our playing of sports. We get the excitement of competition without any of the exercise and skill building. Kind of a shame.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    mrshow said:
    chadbag said:

Ymmv
    Actually in terms of revenue generated pro athletes are underpaid. My problem with pro sports are the owners who leech off half or more of the revenue. 

They are welcome to believe and campaign for whatever they want.  During their job (playing the sport) is not necessarily the place for it.  If their employer allows it, then maybe, fine.  If the employer says, "Knock it off!", then they should & do it on their own time.  And then there should be some consideration for the fans.  Did they come to watch a sporting event/competition, or some wealthy sports player pontificate? 

The sports player should also consider what they do on their own time.  It certainly will impact sports fans wanting to continue watching them play sport, or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    chasm said:
    Japhey said:

Hey, thanks for your permission!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    nicholfd said:
    mrshow said:
    chadbag said:

Ymmv

They are welcome to believe and campaign for whatever they want.  During their job (playing the sport) is not necessarily the place for it.  If their employer allows it, then maybe, fine.  If the employer says, "Knock it off!", then they should & do it on their own time.  And then there should be some consideration for the fans.  Did they come to watch a sporting event/competition, or some wealthy sports player pontificate? 

The sports player should also consider what they do on their own time.  It certainly will impact sports fans wanting to continue watching them play sport, or not.
    Weirdly, there seems to be a significant correlation between the folks who are quick to say "shut up and entertain me" when they don't like the message and the folks who elect entertainment figures to public office when they do like the message.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    AppleZulu said:
    nicholfd said:
    mrshow said:
    chadbag said:

Ymmv

Weirdly, there seems to be a significant correlation between the folks who are quick to say "shut up and entertain me" when they don't like the message and the folks who elect entertainment figures to public office when they do like the message.
    Examples??!?!?!  Correlation???

I'm not sure why you quoted my post.  I made no statement or opinion on any side - like or dislike of sports players "political" statements, except that maybe it doesn't belong in their "work place".

I am neither of your "shut up and entertain me" or elector of a "entertainment" figure to public office.  I have zero interest in any sport, except the occasional MMA match.  As far as I'm aware, I've never voted for an entertainment figure to hold office.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    One on my overwhelming reasons to stay with T-Mobile is free MLB.tv.  (along with relatively inexpensive service & coverage that meets my needs)

Having spent have my live playing baseball, it is still one of the things i enjoy to watch the most.
    The add on make-sports-betting-easier crap is sad, i prefer natural sound of the ball park & my hometown announcers - i'll stick with MLB.tv vs Apple's overwrought production.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    After watching the Mutts win, I thin I'll continue to watch with the sound on mute. Maybe I'll do like many others and have the radio broadcast in the background. The announcing team was annoying and trying way too hard from the start.
    Japheysandor
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ronn said:
    After watching the Mutts win, I thin I'll continue to watch with the sound on mute. Maybe I'll do like many others and have the radio broadcast in the background. The announcing team was annoying and trying way too hard from the start.
    Lol, I thought my friends and I were the only ones who did that. Glad to hear many others do as well. 
    sandor
  • Reply 16 of 16
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    I have kids who are in college athletics. Those who think athletes are overpaid have no idea what it takes to succeed in sports. Up at 5, 6 hours of training, always on the road, dealing with losses, coaches, crazy fans, getting school work done. It is a massive commitment for years and years. Same thing for pretty much most successful people - the band who has “overnight success” after years of playing every dump in the country, the startup where the founder was living in a tiny apartment for years eating ramen every day, coding while we all slept. Those who aspired to nothing, congrats you made it. Just stop trying to pull those who worked incredibly hard and sacrificed a lot to succeed, down with you with you dismissive “overpaid” whining. 
    ronn