Apple leaks its own dual-port 35W power adapter

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple may soon release a new USB-C wall charger equipped with at least two ports, according to a support document posted briefly to the company's website.

GaN Chargers
GaN Chargers

The support document described a new Apple 35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter, noting that users could plug a USB-C cable into "either port on the power adapter." Additionally, it noted that the adapter has extendable prongs akin to Apple's current wall plugs.

According to 9to5Mac, which first spotted the document, the support article was removed quickly after being published.

A 35W charger would have enough power output to charge multiple devices simultaneously, including iPhones and Apple Watch. Additionally, the support document indicated that the charger could support USB-C Power Delivery.

Apple has been rumored to be working on more efficient GaN-based power adapters for release sometime in 2022. GaN technology is an alternative to traditional silicon-based power adapters, and are generally smaller, more power efficient, and less heat conductive.

It isn't clear, of course, if the power adapter mentioned in the support document will be GaN-based -- the document made no claims about the technology. In a prediction back in March, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, however, said that the first of Apple's 2022 GaN-based chargers would be "about 30W."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Apple has been sold out of usb-c power adapters for weeks now. Anything north of 30W, to be specific. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I only see one port. 

Plus, when is Apple going to have foldable prongs on the European adaptors?
    edited April 2022 watto_cobraBeatswilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I think the pic is of the current models.

ideal charger for me:
    GaN charger for compactness, Enough power to charge a MBP at full power (at least 96W), one port for an iPad (at least 30W), one port for iPhone (at least 20W), one for the Apple Watch (5W) and one for airpods (5W).

That is a five port charger but does all my needs and minimises room required in my bag when travelling. While there are five port chargers around 120W ( I am eyeing off models from Satechi, anker and hymix ) they all end up compromising outputs across the ports the more devices are connected.  

Probably for good reason.
    edited April 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The COURAGE!!!!
    lkruppwilliamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    fred1 said:
    I only see one port. 

When Europe adopts a plug standard that makes this possible. 

So, never. 

Also, the article clearly states that the leak was text in a support document. The illustration is not the leak. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 21
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/7/22872565/satechi-gan-4-port-usb-c-165w-charger-desktop-stand-macbook

Was just thinking about this piece and this article we’re commenting on was dropped. Interesting how that happens. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Great. This is nearly the exact charger I’ve been wishing Apple would make: (https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/226538 ) While wondering if it would ever happen, I finally decided to pick up a few Anker 65w Nano II’s in the next week or so. Now this story comes out and I’m back to square 1…wait, or go 3rd party. 
    edited April 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    entropys said:

ideal charger for me:
    GaN charger for compactness, Enough power to charge a MBP at full power (at least 96W), one port for an iPad (at least 30W), one port for iPhone (at least 20W), one for the Apple Watch (5W) and one for airpods (5W).

That is a five port charger but does all my needs and minimises room required in my bag when travelling. While there are five port chargers around 120W ( I am eyeing off models from Satechi, anker and hymix ) they all end up compromising outputs across the ports the more devices are connected.  

When I travel with my MBP, I just plug the laptop into its charger and plug the other devices into the MBP ports. Or use the MBP as a portable battery and plug my devices into it when it's in my bag. I don't think I ever need to plug everything in all at once.
    mobirdwatto_cobraspherich4y3s
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    entropys said:

ideal charger for me:

Add MagSafe one of the flat sides and 2-3 usbc ports would be pretty workable
    watto_cobrah4y3s
  • Reply 10 of 21
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I’m still leery of ‘almost’ overheating while charging too fast. Just enough to stress the battery but not bad enough to trip the safety. Do that often enough and the battery is really messed up. 

So hi power chargers? Meh. 
    watto_cobrah4y3swilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    spheric said:
    fred1 said:
    I only see one port. 

So, never. 

Also, the article clearly states that the leak was text in a support document. The illustration is not the leak. 
    Obviously a folding European plug is possible, and indeed there are folding versions out there.  However the length of the prongs and housing mean it wouldn't work tidily with Apple's PSU design.  Similar issues with the UK prongs, and folding options exist there too.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Apple have considered how to make an international PSU that will allow folding prong design for more than one standard, but it's not an easy fix.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    entropys said:

ideal charger for me:

I don't think in my entire life I would be charging all five of my devices at the same time.  Seems like a waste of ports and power as you could get a smaller charger with more watts for the ports that matter.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 21
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    Would like something like this that could power 2 home pod minis at once.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    This looks huge and ugly (and as others have said, it the picture only shows one port)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    crowley said:
    spheric said:
    fred1 said:
    I only see one port. 

So, never. 

Obviously a folding European plug is possible, and indeed there are folding versions out there.  However the length of the prongs and housing mean it wouldn't work tidily with Apple's PSU design.  Similar issues with the UK prongs, and folding options exist there too.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Apple have considered how to make an international PSU that will allow folding prong design for more than one standard, but it's not an easy fix.
    As you write, a folding-prong design using Euro standard is not possible on these power supplies. 

I’m not aware of any devices that allow you to fold the whole plug into the device. The folding designs I’ve seen only allow you to fold the adapter off to the side when it’s plugged in, rather than having it stick straight out of the socket. 

Including a recessed area large enough to hold an entire Schuko-compatible two-prong plug would about double the size of the current 60W power supply. 

Vs. the comparatively tiny duck-head. 
    edited April 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 21
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I would love to see a small iPhone charger with tapered sides (narrowest near the prongs) so it would be easier to pull out of outlets. The combination of the smooth flat parallel sides and small size on the current ones makes it very difficult to pull out of tight outlets. It’s always been a cool-looking design, but I’d sacrifice a little beauty for ease of use at this point, and they could probably still make it look nice.
    edited April 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 21
    mattinoz said:
    entropys said:

ideal charger for me:

Add MagSafe one of the flat sides and 2-3 usbc ports would be pretty workable
    MagSafe...on the charging brick itself? What?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    frogbat said:
    Would like something like this that could power 2 home pod minis at once.
    Wish no longer: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dual+usb-c+charger+40W

• Reply 19 of 21
    KBuffett said:
    This looks huge and ugly (and as others have said, it the picture only shows one port)
    It's literally a picture of the existing shipping product that come with MacBook Pros.
    spheric