Batman: The Dark Knight Returns...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Any of you read this comic? I've had it for years and found it in a box the other day and re-read it. It's an amazing story and if I was filthy rich and wielded any sort of power whatsoever, I'd get this made into a movie.

Anyone else think this would make a GREAT movie? CGI for all the city scenes, wild "flying through the air" stuff, his tank-inspired Batmobile, etc.

For those of you who don't know, it's set quite a bit into the future. Bruce Wayne is 50-something and pretty much an alcoholic. Batman hasn't been seen in 10 years, the Joker is in a comatose, zonked-out state at the asylum, Gotham is even more of a shithole than it's ever been, etc. Wayne gets fed up and can no longer "resist the calling" and comes back, kicking major butt. Even as an old man. But real grim and realistic: he gets hurt, he bleeds, he scars, he fights dirty, etc.

More of an "arthouse" Batman flick, if you will...long on drama, darkness, seriousness, etc. Just like the comic/graphic novel. Those of you familiar with it know what I'm talking about. A "thinking person's" superhero movie.

And yes...even end with the Batman vs. Superman battle, just like the comic.

I'd hire the director who did "Seven". That's the look I envision. This wouldn't be a Hollywood thing: no big stars, no stupid cameos and no Joel Schumacher-directed piece of crap. No toy tie-ins, no stupid Taco Bell tie-ins, etc.

In other words, a REAL movie for REAL fans of the character. I bet it would go over like crazy (built-in fan base who are totally disgusted with Hollywood's take on him...particularly the Kilmer and Clooney versions).

Anyway, I'm just flipping through this, sipping some good beer and imagining certain scenes.

Sigh...I wish I were rich. And connected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Not as good as WATCHMEN.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Tim Burton's Batman was pretty good...

...I'd love something even bleaker.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'd pay to see it. (And I'm a cheap bastard)
  • Reply 4 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Oh God,

To think that " Mystery-men" was really lame, you guys want to really shovel deep.

As per an old washed up Batman, I think there was similar story re Superman, or some other super tights duderino not so long ago.

Does it get any dumber than Dark-City?

• Reply 5 of 23
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Frank Miller is a comic God but he can't seem to write a good screenplay
  • Reply 6 of 23
    That's a great 'comic'.

Has anyone read the sequel? I've heard that Batman basically becomes an Usama Bin Laden type figure, leading a terrorist war against a corrupt Republican President.

Interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Probably my favorite Batman of all times. The kicking of Superman's ass at the end is great fun. Another good one is Arkham Asylum. The illustrations are beautiful (by Sandman's cover guy Dave McKean).
  • Reply 8 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    " Honey, I think we took a wrong turn back there apiece "

" Oh my God, we're in " Geek-Ville"....
  • Reply 9 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, that's twice, aquafire. We get it...not your bag. Stow it. No one asked you to play, anyway.

Let us Batgeeks talk in peace.

• Reply 10 of 23
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Definately a ground-breaking comic, which inspired a lot of the "adult" themed books you see now.

I've still got an issue of the 1st printing that was done in the 80s in mint or near mint condition, from when I collected comics as a kid.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Frank Miller is a comic God but he can't seem to write a good screenplay

That's why people collaborate and you bring in people who CAN to work with Miller (or whoever).
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Short of a real-life, live-action feature, I was thinking about an animated version. I don't know how this appeals, but I remember seeing "Heavy Metal", "American Pop" and one of those animated Tolkien things as a kid (may have been "LOTR"?). Those carried weight and if done correctly, this comic might translate into something like that.

An adult cartoon.

Would save on sets, CGI, vehicle construction, costumes, etc.

Did you all see "The Iron Giant"? That real natural, smooth animation style that came across with quite a bit of depth and dimension? That sort of look is what I'm talking about. Darker and more serious, of course, but with that "almost real" quality to it. Probably a lot of computer animation for the zooms, rotations, pans, etc.

Man, I think people would eat this up.

[dons movie mogul hat and lights cigar...]
  • Reply 13 of 23
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Probably my favorite Batman of all times. The kicking of Superman's ass at the end is great fun. Another good one is Arkham Asylum. The illustrations are beautiful (by Sandman's cover guy Dave McKean).

I remember flipping through it when I was house sitting for one of my best friends...I can't remember exactly, but it was a hard cover book that had both the comic and the sequel...it really blew me away. I have to admit I never read the comics but it was completely different from anything I've ever seen.

Pardon my stupidity but there was one thing I never understood. Why was Superman enlisted to fight Batman?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Tim Burton's Batman was pretty good...

...I'd love something even bleaker.

Yes, that very first one was pretty good. Kinda had the tone I liked (even though it was light and humorous in places), but - of the four theatrical ones - the best, by far. The second Burton-directed one was okay too (Penguin and Catwoman).

The two Joel Schumacher ones were like painful, lame-ass two-hour versions of the 60's Adam West TV show.

Garish colors and sets, skewed/tilted cameras, ultra-campy dialogue, hokey from top to bottom, etc. Ugh. Awful!

I honestly kept waiting for "BAM!" and "POW!" to flash up on the screen when Clooney was fighting Mr. Freeze or his henchmen.

I know for a fact that a movie (live-action or animation) that is faithful to this comic would kick ass and make TONS of money. Don't tell me all the comic, sci-fi, action, graphic novel, etc. fans wouldn't flock to it in droves. Then they'd come back for a second viewing because it would be so "right". Then word would spread and it would be the movie that the other four SHOULD'VE been.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll make this my life's work.

• Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

Pardon my stupidity but there was one thing I never understood. Why was Superman enlisted to fight Batman?

Seems that Superman has, over the years, kinda become a government agent. In tight with the President and sort of a U.S. do-gooder (this comic was written in the 80's, so that whole Cold War/Soviet threat vibe looms throughout.

Anyway, the comic makes it seem like - in order for all the superhero types to live in peace and without pursuit/harrassment from the government, they've all agreed to settle down and lay low.

Batman refuses (gets back "into the life", so to speak) and this upsets the President who sends Superman to "reign him back him" a bit.

Apparently there's no love lost between the two and they duke it out.

• Reply 16 of 23
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Terry Gilliam was supposed to direct WATCHMEN. Would have been brilliant.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

That's a great 'comic'.

Has anyone read the sequel? I've heard that Batman basically becomes an Usama Bin Laden type figure, leading a terrorist war against a corrupt Republican President.

Interesting.

Ugh. BIG DISSAPOINTMENT. Couldn't get past the terrible artwork. Especially the colorist's work. She's great but this was horrible. And Miller's art looked like chicken scratch.

Check out his "Sin City" series. Best detective genre comic work since Eisner's "Spirit".

Read the first Dark Knight series and was overwhelmed. Also check out "RONIN"...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ronin is just beautiful. Definitely one to track down.

DK2 was just... gah. Bleah. About on the same level as Jordan's 2nd comeback. :P

From the same era, check out Robinson's Golden Age. It's a retake on the Golden Age (30's-40's) heros in the style of the 80's 'reality' viewpoint. Quite stunning in how it pulls in so many otherwise forgotten characters into a cohesive story.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yes, that very first one was pretty good. Kinda had the tone I liked (even though it was light and humorous in places), but - of the four theatrical ones - the best, by far. The second Burton-directed one was okay too (Penguin and Catwoman).

The two Joel Schumacher ones were like painful, lame-ass two-hour versions of the 60's Adam West TV show.

Garish colors and sets, skewed/tilted cameras, ultra-campy dialogue, hokey from top to bottom, etc. Ugh. Awful!

I honestly kept waiting for "BAM!" and "POW!" to flash up on the screen when Clooney was fighting Mr. Freeze or his henchmen.

I know for a fact that a movie (live-action or animation) that is faithful to this comic would kick ass and make TONS of money. Don't tell me all the comic, sci-fi, action, graphic novel, etc. fans wouldn't flock to it in droves. Then they'd come back for a second viewing because it would be so "right". Then word would spread and it would be the movie that the other four SHOULD'VE been.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll make this my life's work.

That's exactly what I think too.

Although a "BAM" and "POW" and over-acting Adam West would have been fun to watch!

I still hold Batman and Robin as the worst movie of all time.

• Reply 20 of 23
    I won't disagree on that, brother man. Truly horrible, on all levels