YouTube flip-flops back to picture-in-picture not coming to iOS 15

Posted:
in iPhone
YouTube has walked back a statement claiming that picture-in-picture support would be coming in "days" to its app on iOS.

Credit: Szabo Viktor/Unsplash
Credit: Szabo Viktor/Unsplash

Earlier on Monday, YouTube Support said in a tweet that picture-in-picture mode would be arriving on iOS 15 devices in a matter of days. That statement closely followed the company disabling the feature on its iOS app on Sunday.

However, later on Monday, YouTube clarified that it meant picture-in-picture mode would be coming to its paid YouTube TV service for iOS -- and not YouTube. YouTube also deleted the tweet mentioning that picture-in-picture support would be returning to iOS devices.

Additionally, the company then said that picture-in-picture mode for the standard YouTube app was only available to Premium members on Android mobile devices.

The feature, which allows users to watch YouTube content while browsing other apps on iOS, first arrived on iPhone and iPad devices for YouTube Premium subscribers in August 2021. At the time, however, the feature was only experimental.

After a nine-month trial run of being offered on YouTube for iOS, the video streaming platform was scrubbed from the iPhone and iPad app. YouTube says that the feature has been "turned off."

Back in March, YouTube said that picture-in-picture support would be rolling out to all YouTube TV users later in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Just screw'em
    docbburkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Use the PiP-it app and watch Picture in Picture without ads!
    edited April 2022 fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    And yet did it not just turn that around again and say it actually is coming to YouTube soon? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Nothing says “delight your customers” like charging for a feature the platform offers for free. 

Why so user-hostile, Google?
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    itinj24itinj24 Posts: 51member
    Im getting PIP for the YouTube app and it works great… and I also see there’s an update today for the app. That notification badge for the App Store is driving me nuts. What to do what to do lol. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Given how much I watch YT, the premium watch every penny. 

But for years, they still failed to fix the disappearing of watched red bar is beyond me. Honestly how hard it is? They are google with tens of billions. The same watched video keep showing up. 

The last thing is they keep recommending random video which I don’t like. But seldom recommended video from the channels I subscribed. I am really careful what I search and which video I click, because I know it is very hard to fix their algorithm. Sigh. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 210member
    Bad move google. I use PiP every single day I use my Premium account. Now I miss this feature. Another reason to cancel my Premium subsciption.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    docbburkdocbburk Posts: 109member
    Sounds like they are following the model ESPN used.  They pull features from standard programming (that everyone who has cable or satellite television (whether or not they watch ESPN), and adding it to their premium offering. I pay for HULU, and Disney plus, but will not get the bundle on principle, because they effectively are are moving some features from the regular programming that most people are already paying for, to add it to their premium.  They have also gone way overboard with placing preference for hype over actual news.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    More and more I go elsewhere than YT.  Many creators I am interested in support Nebula and Curiosity Stream satisfies a lot of the documentary urges I get.  
    twokatmewwatto_cobra