Elon Musk pulls out of joining Twitter's board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2022
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has decided against joining Twitter's board of directors, and punctuated his departure by tweeting a facepalm emoji.

Credit: Twitter
Credit: Twitter

After becoming Twitter's largest individual shareholder, Elon Musk was announced as joining the board of directors -- but has now changed his mind. His appointment was to become officially effective from April 9, 2022, but on that same morning, Musk told Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal he was withdrawing.

Elon has decided not to join our board. I sent a brief note to the company, sharing with you all here. pic.twitter.com/lfrXACavvk

-- Parag Agrawal (@paraga)

Revealing the decision on April 11, Agrawal stressed that Musk remains the company's biggest shareholder, and that Twitter "will remain open to his input."

Musk has not formally commented on his reasons for backing down. However, according to The Guardian, he tweeted and then removed a facepalm emoji.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    >:) thank the heavens…
    tmayronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 2 of 31
    He realised the rest of the board wouldn’t allow him to be a dick and enable science deniers, liars and racists to post hate speech and misinformation without having their accounts banned.
    JaiOh81tmayronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Shouldn’t this news be on twitterinsider?
    tnet-primarywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    i still think Musk is a carpet bagger sucking in gullible investors and government officials (but I repeat myself) but I do confess to liking the cut of his jib.  

The best bit of this episode in the Life of Musk is the outraged hysteria it has caused in certain circles. Well deserved.  And well played good sir!

I look forward to Musk's next act. Even Musk sets aside time for a hobby.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Great, he will still have the influence without the hassle.
    tnet-primarywatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 6 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Probably for the best for everyone. 
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    Electric vehicles are the biggest scam.  Every new build home will be required by government to have a charging station - Even if you do not drive.  a Builder or Developer CANNOT sell a property without a furnace or hot water tank.  As for the batteries, where will they be stored?  A combustion engine uses the battery primarily to start the vehicle, once started you can take the battery out.  Think.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Paul_B said:
    Electric vehicles are the biggest scam.  Every new build home will be required by government to have a charging station - Even if you do not drive.  a Builder or Developer CANNOT sell a property without a furnace or hot water tank.  As for the batteries, where will they be stored?  A combustion engine uses the battery primarily to start the vehicle, once started you can take the battery out.  Think.
    You take the battery out of your car after you start it?
    viclauyycdarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 31
    That should drive the price of Twitter stock back down. This is good for Truth Social and Gettr.
    williamlondontnet-primary
  • Reply 10 of 31
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    It was a hand over mouth emoji, not a face palm emoji.  This is the calm before the storm.

In Musk’s Twitter thread someone posted a video of Carl Icahn talking about how he fired 12 floors of people in a company that he became convinced did nothing and added no value to the company. Fascinating video by the way.  Musk‘s one word response in the tweet was “Exactly.”
    edited April 2022 watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 11 of 31
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 532member
    entropys said:
    i still think Musk is a carpet bagger sucking in gullible investors and government officials...  
    We need more carpet baggers if they can create things like Tesla and SpaceX.

Those two things have earned him a lot of goodwill in my book, and because of that I can forgive his occasional, boring lapse.... [sic]
    williamlondonviclauyycwatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 12 of 31
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    crowley said:
    Paul_B said:
    You take the battery out of your car after you start it?
    Now….that’s a scam
  • Reply 13 of 31
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    hmlongco said:
    entropys said:
    i still think Musk is a carpet bagger sucking in gullible investors and government officials...  
    We need more carpet baggers if they can create things like Tesla and SpaceX.

Those two things have earned him a lot of goodwill in my book, and because of that I can forgive his occasional, boring lapse.... [sic]
    Richest man…..i will give a huge palm for that, like him or not
  • Reply 14 of 31
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    I think Elon Musk realized that being a board officer would put him under even more constraints on the use of Twitter than he currently has. Musk's problems right now come from the fact that he can't say anything he wants about a public company about Tesla without running afoul of SEC rules. Joining Twitter's board wouldn't change that....in fact, he'd be under even more communication constraints since he'd be a fiduciary officer who is supposed to be looking out for the company's best interests. It's not that he cannot publicly disagree with the rest of the board, but there would be limits as an officer as to when and how that is done. It's better for him to remain on the outside.
    JWSCstompyviclauyycwatto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 15 of 31
    sevenfeet said:
    I think Elon Musk realized that being a board officer would put him under even more constraints on the use of Twitter than he currently has. Musk's problems right now come from the fact that he can't say anything he wants about a public company about Tesla without running afoul of SEC rules. Joining Twitter's board wouldn't change that....in fact, he'd be under even more communication constraints since he'd be a fiduciary officer who is supposed to be looking out for the company's best interests. It's not that he cannot publicly disagree with the rest of the board, but there would be limits as an officer as to when and how that is done. It's better for him to remain on the outside.
    Yea, I think a lot of people are misreading what's happening.  Musk is not backing off in any way.  As you state, joining the board would constrain him in ways that he has determined would be unhelpful to his ambitions for Twitter.  Get your popcorn out people.  This is going to be fun to watch.
    tnet-primarywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    JWSC said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Yea, I think a lot of people are misreading what's happening.  Musk is not backing off in any way.  As you state, joining the board would constrain him in ways that he has determined would be unhelpful to his ambitions for Twitter.  Get your popcorn out people.  This is going to be fun to watch.
    LOL...Musk and his brother are both being investigated for insider trading by the SEC. That's happening AFTER Musk already had to settle a securities fraud charge with the SEC several years ago and is now attempting to back out of the settlement. How is he qualified to sit on Twitter's board and provide "advice"? 
    edited April 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 17 of 31
    JWSC said:
    sevenfeet said:
    LOL...Musk and his brother are both being investigated for insider trading by the SEC. That's happening AFTER Musk already had to settle a securities fraud charge with the SEC several years ago and is now attempting to back out of the settlement. How is he qualified to sit on Twitter's board and provide "advice"? 
    The SEC may or may not be investigating Musk.  I have no knowledge of that one way or the other. 

From what I have gathered Parag Agrawal and the board offered Musk a seat.  He initially accepted but then after a few days reversed himself and declined.

As far as Musk offering ’advice’ I would say that ship has sailed.  I think he is genuinely interested in improving Twitter‘s business model and revenue stream.  But we know from insider talk that many Twitter employees are less than enthused.

This has a high potential of escalating into a confrontation.  My guess is that Musk is doing what he can to acquire more shares legally.  If I had a large cash pile sitting around I would be buying Twitter shares right now.
    edited April 2022 stompyviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    bvgkbvgk Posts: 16member
    He realised the rest of the board wouldn’t allow him to be a dick and enable science deniers, liars and racists to post hate speech and misinformation without having their accounts banned.
    all Twitter has to do is ... not take sides .... and follow local laws ( more so, when in doubt )
    watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 19 of 31
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    He has gold finger?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    JWSC said:
    sevenfeet said:
    So I did a little on-line research into the SEC investigation.  They're probing him about the sales of Tesla shares after he asked Twitter users via a poll if he should sell his shares in order to pay taxes.  This was done after much criticism was leveled at Musk for paying so little in taxes.  One only pays taxes on capital gains and not stock prices rises, which didn't seem to matter to his detractors.  So Musk asked and the people answered - sell shares and pay taxes, which he did.  This was all done publicly.  Accusations of insider trading are spurious in this case.  It appears that the SEC is going after him for not having his public Tweets be vetted by the SEC in advance, which was included in the terms of settlement in an earlier dust up with the SEC.

As far as I can tell, the SEC is not currently investigating Musk for his trading of Twitter stock - at least not publicly.  Musk has been open about his contempt for the SEC as an organization, stating that it is under the purview of vested interests that are not aligned with the good of the general public and the markets.  He has stated that he is prepared to expose them.  I guess you could call it a sort of threat to the SEC apparatchiks.  No love lost there.
    edited April 2022 bvgkentropysviclauyycspock1234