Apple calls Meta hypocrites for nearly 50% commission on VR purchases

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is torching Meta over the "metaverse" company's plans to charge developers up to 47.5% for virtual goods sold through the Meta Quest store.

Meta's 'Horizon Worlds' could take up to 47.5% in commission fees
Meta's 'Horizon Worlds' could take up to 47.5% in commission fees

On Monday, Meta announced it would take an additional 17.5% cut from goods sold in "Horizon Worlds" after taking a 30% platform fee for being on the Meta Quest Store. In an email to MarketWatch, Apple Senior Director of Corporate Communications Fred Sainz called the move hypocritical, since Meta has previously criticized Apple's 30% take.

"Meta has repeatedly taken aim at Apple for charging developers a 30% commission for in-app purchases in the App Store -- and have used small businesses and creators as a scapegoat at every turn," Sainz said in the email. "Now -- Meta seeks to charge those same creators significantly more than any other platform. [Meta's] announcement lays bare Meta's hypocrisy. It goes to show that while they seek to use Apple's platform for free, they happily take from the creators and small businesses that use their own."

Facebook, now Meta, has been a loud voice in opposition to Apple's 30% platform fees. It has previously called Apple's 30% cut a hindrance to unlocking opportunities for creators and small businesses.

Meta calls its 47.5% rate "competitive" and that it believes "in the other platforms being able to have their share." However, the rate is much higher than Apple's 30% take and the 2% take from certain NFT markets.

"Horizon Worlds" is Meta's play into the "Metaverse," a VR platform where people meet up, chat, buy goods, and have customized avatars. The concept of the Metaverse has been widely discussed since Facebook changed its parent company's name to Meta to highlight its focus on the project.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Oops! Should have waited a bit longer before doing another stupid thing. 
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I’m surprised Apple would have even bothered to respond.
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    This should be good. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Thankfully there will be no side loading on Apple devices. So Facebook can keep thier grubby hands out of the cookie jar.
    And thankfully whatever AR/VR space that space that Facebook creates will be only an invention from Apple "Apple GLASS" and they... Apple will create the real VR World to elicite, awe and wonder. Meta is a desperate attempt of a child to jump up and shout  "I did this, i did this" when they were never even invited to the party.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    What if Meta opens their metaverse and nobody comes?  

I think that is what will happen.  Most people don’t care to spend their time in a “metaverse” with custom avatars buying stuff.   That is my prediction at least.   A solution in search of a problem (for the general populace — 3D virtual worlds definitely have specific use cases and vertical markets to serve) 
    FileMakerFellerbaconstangmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Who does Meta thinking they are competitive with at 47.5%?
    ronnFileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Mark renamed his company “Meta” so idiots can think they own/invented the Metaverse.

a Samsung move.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I’m surprised Apple would have even bothered to respond.
    I have zero problem with Apple calling out hypocrites.
    FileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I’ve been calling out similar hypocrisy and ignorance for years.  Back in the physical software days, when most software products (and virtually all from smaller, independent software publishers) were distributed to retailers via distributors like Ingram MicroD, you generally had to give them a 52%-55% discount AND you had to take back returns.  

Apple’s 30% take has always been a bargain.  
    baconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Al Gore invented META = Made Entirely Through Al.
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    So much torching it's already out of the news cycle after one day.
    watto_cobra