MDD PowerMacs Already Have USB 2.0???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.macnn.com/news/19139

Anyone know anything more about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    they're right, the ddr 1.25 and 1.42 pm's have a usb2.0 chip - no ifs, no buts. I strongly believe that they've not "lobotomised" it to run at usb1.1 speed either. Drivers, drivers, driver eh?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

they're right, the ddr 1.25 and 1.42 pm's have a usb2.0 chip - no ifs, no buts. I strongly believe that they've not "lobotomised" it to run at usb1.1 speed either. Drivers, drivers, driver eh?

Is the 1GHz different from the two others?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I don't know, the article is based on a 1.25 and I have a 1.42, just check for the part number on your sys board if you have a 1ghz. Let us know if you can.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Is the 1GHz different from the two others?

it does have the slower bus speed but i'm not sure if the motherboard itself is a completely different version. the 1Ghz model has, after all, FW 800 so it might be the same as the other two towers.

any MDD 1Ghz users out there want to help?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Can you imagine that one day you look in Software Update and it says "this update enables USB 2 on some PowerMacs"?! Ridiculous.

Anybody actually tried a USB 2 device with these Macs? Maybe it all already works?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Can you imagine that one day you look in Software Update and it says "this update enables USB 2 on some PowerMacs"?! Ridiculous.

Anybody actually tried a USB 2 device with these Macs? Maybe it all already works?

Doubtful.

Anyway, I should note that the northbridge in all MDD Macs supposedly has FireWire 800 support...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    But they can't sell USB 2 and Firewire 800 without any PR actions. It's not like Jobs' habits.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Would someone lift my ignorance and tell me what MDD stands for?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Mirrored Drive Doors. Apple's official name for the summer 2002 line of PowerMac G4s was the "PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors)." Most disliked it at first and wanted to call it something like the speed holes G4, but it looks like the MDD name has caught on.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have an adaptec USB 2 PCI card on my G4 533 who work perfectly with USB 1 or 2 device at USB 1 speed, due to the awesome apple USB driver.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

But they can't sell USB 2 and Firewire 800 without any PR actions. It's not like Jobs' habits.

Just because the chipset is capable of something doesn't mean Apple supports it. Viz: Spanning in the iBook's video chipset, and disabling of RW functionality in some SuperDrives.

In the former case, Apple apparently considers spanning to be a "pro" feature now ( ). In the latter, Apple's getting "SuperDrives" from various manufacturers, not all of which support DVD-RW or DVD+RW, so they support the least common denominator.

In this case, the chipset probably does what they want it to do well, and it just happens to have USB 2 support as well. It's possible that not even a system upgrade could introduce USB 2 support, despite the chipset.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Just saw this on Mac NN:

"Unofficial USB 2.0 drivers for MDD Power Macs

Following reports of a USB 2.0 chipset in some newer Power Macs, MacNN reader Steve Chung writes about unofficial USB 2.0 drivers for MDD Power Macs: "According to a Korean site Create Mac, it appears that the drivers for the USB 2.0 chipset in the MDD 1.25 and 1.42 Ghz are updated and confirmed that they do work. However, it also says that extreme caution should be taken and that only the two MDD models have been tested. (No liability for damaged systems.) Installation on other models could render the system inoperable.""

Interesting...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Maybe the USB 2.0 drivers will be included with Panther and that might be the reason for Apple to get some people to buy it.