Workers at NYC Grand Central Apple Store start moving to unionize

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    What's the answer to the growing wealth inequality in the US?

If the rich won't share via wages & benefits and will do all possible to avoid paying their share of taxes, the concept of working your way up is a bill of goods & the "American Dream" is a fallacy,

I trust a well formed union to keep a collective's best interest in sight more than a C-suite making tens of millions a year with an eye on nothing more than their stock price.
    muthuk_vanalingamronntokyojimuFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jbytesjbytes Posts: 33member
    javaduke said:
    So the Apples formed a Union
    And demanded equal rights
    They said Cook is just too greedy
    We will make him give us light

Hatchet, axe, and saw!
    I just had to rush in and say well done to you both.
    studiomusic
  • Reply 23 of 27
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    sandor said:

If the rich won't share via wages & benefits and will do all possible to avoid paying their share of taxes, the concept of working your way up is a bill of goods & the "American Dream" is a fallacy,

I trust a well formed union to keep a collective's best interest in sight more than a C-suite making tens of millions a year with an eye on nothing more than their stock price.
    It’s certainly not unionizing against one of the best salary paying companies and highest tax paying companies like Apple

Maybe start having politicians start paying more attentions to AMERICANS instead of say Ukraine?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    At the present time, what percent of Apple Store workers are full-time employees and what percent are working on fixed-length contracts?
    I think answer is pretty clear. Just look at ages, most are college kids or those in their 20s, “ “passing through”

and for those who are really looking for careers with Apple , unionizing is for sure not the way to do it  in the eyes of managment 

I suspect even if this union forms, there will be quick member attrition and will not sustain , just based on the nature of Apple store employees, very few “lifers” like Detroit auto workers of Jimmy Hoffa of the old days.

Nothing against  anyone but this is just based on turnover and how easily replaced these Apple store workers are. That is not a negative but actually a compliment of how smart these kids are working through Apple stores 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 25 of 27
    laytech said:
    Unions are draconian, they stifle business, increase costs and are run by selfish bullies who are only focused on their own self gain. Unions served a purpose many years ago but there are now much stronger workplace laws that unions are obsolete.
    "Corporations are draconian, they stifle society, stagnate wages and are run by selfish bullies who are only focused on their own self gain. Corporations served a purpose many years ago but there are now much more efficient ways to deploy capital that corporations are obsolete."

As long as we're postulating personal opinion rather than engaging in reasoned debate.
    edited April 2022 ronnsandor
  • Reply 26 of 27
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Madbum said:
    sandor said:

It’s certainly not unionizing against one of the best salary paying companies and highest tax paying companies like Apple

Maybe start having politicians start paying more attentions to AMERICANS instead of say Ukraine?

My family was forced to flee eastern Europe to the US with the last facist to march through Europe as the world "tut tut'ed" & refused to act.
    I won't even start on the Ukraine comment.

Collective bargaining is beneficial regardless of who the employer is. 
    Apple should welcome their workforce forming a collective voice.
    This doesn't mean that their leadership isn't immune to the same greed that has infiltrated corporate America & destroyed the middle class.

Actually, the sad part is that politicians *are* paying attention - the system of rewarding the wealthy at the expense of the working class is playing out precisely how they planned it to.

Trickle down economics were a lie sold to the populous that only propagated the concentration of wealth among the elites.
    The two party system has provided the social cover (us vs them) to allow the politicians (both parties) to continue to provide means of extrapolating ever-increasing wealth from the capital the rich already control.

Us vs them is the wealthy elite (literally all Washington DC politicians) vs the dying middle class & the trodden down working class.