Netflix blames account sharing for first subscriber loss in a decade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Netflix is the new AT&T/DirecTV, they have always been and always will be the king of 'B' movie class content. Would rather watch PBS passport and than Netflix. Time to concentrate on quality versus legitimate sharing of account sessions..
    lolliverjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    WallaxWallax Posts: 8member
    mcdave said:
    Actually, yes, this is good news. Here’s a solution, just provide the streaming via an AppleTV channel & let Apple handle unique ID validation & payment.
    Oh please don't. The Netflix App on Apple TV is about the best streaming app there is. At this point it's the major reason I'm even still watching Netflix as often as I do.

On the other Hand the AppleTV+ App on AppleTV is such an absymal piece of garbage, trying to upsell me on every step I go, adding channels I explicitly I don't want to see and makes a great effort to actually prevent me from seeing, what I want to see.  Just because of that I'm this close to cancelling my AppleTV+ subscription. Even though, when I manage to locate the show I want to see in the labyrinth that it the AppleTV+ APP the shows are great. I just can't be bothered any more.
    Apple TV & Apple TV+ are separate things. Apple TV is the app that lets you watch content from other services, all in one app. Apple TV+ is Apple’s streaming service & there’s a TV+ tab in the Apple TV app that separates their streaming service from everything else.
    mcdavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    They’ve upped the prices too far and people are voting with their feet. 
    jeffharrisStrangeDayssconosciutoelectorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Canceled a long time ago as the prices keep going up. Not sharing accounts with anyone. Prices of everything keeps going up so things have to be cut. Not interested in all the new original stuff. YouTube is the main thing we watch. Disney+, Prime, and Apple TV+. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    I have been thinking of cancelling for some time now, as my wife & I rarely find anything worth watching (perhaps a few different shows/year).

I hate that they force you to upgrade for 4K content - that’s ridiculous in 2022.

The only thing that has kept me on so far is I have the T-Mobile perk where they pay for a portion of subscription cost. If not for that, I’d have been gone long ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It’s like the marketing department hasn’t heard of price sensitive elasticity of demand.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Moreover, Netflix told its investors that "robust" competition from other streaming services, such as Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and YouTube, has emerged "over the last three years."

This, this and this. In addition, most of the other services offer an incentive to buy yearly subscriptions rather than monthly.  I do that with Paramount+ and Apple TV+. Disney is worth the price for the back catalog and new Marvel and Star Wars originals. Probably would never add Hulu, but since it's included I watch some. It's very easy to turn on and off subscription to binge a new season of something

Also, I know COVID killed production schedules, but they probably should have waited until they had a steady stream of new seasons before raising the prices. The kids from Stranger Things will be retired before Season 4 is released. Waited far too long for Ozark too.

humbug1873 said:
    mcdave said:
    Actually, yes, this is good news. Here’s a solution, just provide the streaming via an AppleTV channel & let Apple handle unique ID validation & payment.
    Oh please don't. The Netflix App on Apple TV is about the best streaming app there is. At this point it's the major reason I'm even still watching Netflix as often as I do.

On the other Hand the AppleTV+ App on AppleTV is such an absymal piece of garbage, trying to upsell me on every step I go, adding channels I explicitly I don't want to see and makes a great effort to actually prevent me from seeing, what I want to see.  Just because of that I'm this close to cancelling my AppleTV+ subscription. Even though, when I manage to locate the show I want to see in the labyrinth that it the AppleTV+ APP the shows are great. I just can't be bothered any more.

Oh, please. Still cannot remove a show from the "Continue Watching" row without opening the app on another device. Not working with Apple's API is definitely an inconvenience.

mcdaveStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Their pricing for 4K was a major reason I ditched them. I also have limited TV time so focus on quality - like AppleTV and Disney+.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    kiehtan said:
    $20 for 4k....this just might be the problem 

If Netflix wants to fix the problem of account sharing, they’ll quit charging more for the 4K screen resolution that is quickly becoming the default standard everywhere else. They thought they were softening the blow of charging extra for 4K by giving those customers something they didn’t need and wouldn’t use: three extra simultaneous streams. How wrong they were.

Because the other two pricing tiers limit simultaneous streams to one or two, it’s almost a certainty the $20 package is where Netflix is seeing the “problem” with password sharing. Password sharing in the lower tier accounts will self-regulate every time the primary customer can’t watch because the limited available streams are already in use by others. So Netflix has screwed themselves by charging extra for 4K and training customers to share the accompanying extra streams many don’t need for themselves. If pricing were purely based on number of simultaneous users, most customers would just buy the amount they need, and wouldn’t have unused capacity to give away.  

Apple has demonstrated with both its TV service and its music service that not charging extra for high-resolution content is the better way to go. They also don’t ask nosy questions about who’s in your family when you buy family sharing accounts. Just set the price for the number of shared accounts and let the paying customer decide how to allocate them. 
    edited April 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Our Netflix is from my Wife's account.  They should be happy because I would have cancelled them after they flubbed the Chappelle incident.   Netflix response to that event showed me that the CEO is inept.  I'm always Pro Creator even if the lines of offensiveness are blurrred a bit.   Now with their sad excuse for dropping numbers after what 3 price hikes in the last few years just smacks of them being dishonest.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    It's the price, stupid.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    docbburkdocbburk Posts: 109member
    Sure it’s gotta be the account sharing. Couldn’t be the fact that they raised the price again. Couldn’t be that the streaming market is crowded now and competitors have quality content. Borrowing from Timberlake, Cry Me A River! They are practicing 1980’s mentality price increases.  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 41
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    mcdave said:

Apple TV+ is 4.99, you pay that you get all apple content . No upswell. You are confusing it with main Apple TV app which is a clearinghouse for all content available
    edited April 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mcdave said:

Nice troll. If you’d actually used it you’d know;
    1) The AppleTV App and the AppleTV+ service are different & you don’t need the service to use the App.
    2) The AppleTV App doesn’t add channels, you do. It only pulls in content from subscribed channels or compatible installed Apps.
    3) For search, use your words, Siri gets genres, actors and everything - you even say “show me free action movies” etc.
    4) The interface is fine & certainly no worse than Netflix’s endless repetitive scrolling or echo-chamber content surfacing algorithm.

My one criticism of the AppleTV App is the way it bounces you through to the 3rd-party app rather than just play the stream. If if can directly stream the trailer, it should be able to directly stream the show/movie.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    entropys said:
    It’s like the marketing department hasn’t heard of price sensitive elasticity of demand.
    You’ve just described my country (NZ) we’re constantly trying to turn commodities into luxuries. All the price, none of the quality.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    It's the most expensive streaming service. 

No wonder people will share. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    premi said:
    Became too woke and political. Also HBO Max has been my go to for sometime now. 
    They stood behind Chappelle and his supposed transphobic jokes and the backlash by not pulling the content?  That seems like the opposite of Woke and political in today's world?

I have problems with Netflix pricing and content as well just don't see them as woke or too political? I open the Appletv app  I scroll around I don't see much I close it out. I usually don't watch anything unless I hear about it from my lady or friends. Tmobile's Netflix on us pricing keeps us with them.. if that continues to rise I may have to fire them. B)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Xed said:
    The drop is because their content just doesn’t cut it as well in an increasing competitive streaming market, not because people are now just learning they can share accounts.

Personally, Netflix has dropped in usage in my household considerably in the last couple years as others—especially Apple TV+—has increased in usage. Even Paramount+ and Peacock get my household’s eyeballs a lot more than Netflix.

I wish Netflix’s blockbuster-wannabe, comedy-action films with big stars, like Red Notice, we’re better, but they aren’t even great as bubblegum movies.
    Agreed - Netflix puts its money into big dumb “blockbuster” popcorn movies, rather than well-crafted shows based on excellent writing. Ironic since that’s how their own content began, with House of Cards. Then they seemed to focus on quantity instead of quality. It’s mostly a lot of junk. A lot. New shows I think are interesting turn out to be licensed content from other countries and aren’t in my language. This is a fail.

And $20/mo for 4K is a cruel joke. 
    premi said:
    Became too woke and political. Also HBO Max has been my go to for sometime now. 
    LOL no. But nice job parroting that looney-tune Musk tweet. 
    edited April 2022 dewmetenthousandthingssuddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    In India, 4K plan (4 Screens) plan used to costs Rs. 800 ($10.51). Few months ago they had reduced the price to Rs. 649 ($8.52). Here also, many people share the accounts and they will continue to do so as they do not require 4 screens. We opt for that plan for 4K res. only. After sharing 4K premium plan effectively costing me Rs. 162 ($2.13)/month.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    The reduction in subscribers is due to a number of reasons: cost, variety, competition, people going back to work after lockdown. I share my daughter’s subscription (she is in the same house) and I wouldn’t have my own if she moved away. All the providers should do a family sharing type thing as Apple does.
    watto_cobra