Fast forward a few years...

EU: "USB-C is great! Why is the rest of the world using USB-E?"
    lkrupp
  • Reply 22 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zeus423 said:

So what happens when a faster, more economical, more environmentally friendly method of wired (using USB-E) or wireless charging is developed? It stays in the lab until the EU gets around to taking a look and maybe approving it? This is government regulation gone completely insane to stifle innovation by mandating conformity. Why not just mandate Android as the official EU mobile operating system to make things easier for the common EU moron to use. If Apple wants to sell phones in the EU they have to run Android. Homogenized tech at its finest.
    edited April 2022 Beatspscooter63bloggerbloglukeitmay
  • Reply 23 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    zeus423 said:

So what happens when a faster, more economical, more environmentally friendly method of wired (using USB-E) or wireless charging is developed? It stays in the lab until the EU gets around to taking a look and maybe approving it? 
    Sure, that sounds very sensible.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    Yeah because is for the environment and nothing says “save the environment” more than the wasteful wireless charging and now they want it on laptops suuuure that’s not going to generate a wasteful amount of heat. Plus I am sure that people are going to wait patiently 3 or 4 days for a laptop battery to reach 100%. When it comes to tech no one knows better than politicians. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Apple_Bar said:
    Yeah because is for the environment and nothing says “save the environment” more than the wasteful wireless charging and now they want it on laptops suuuure that’s not going to generate a wasteful amount of heat. Plus I am sure that people are going to wait patiently 3 or 4 days for a laptop battery to reach 100%. When it comes to tech no one knows better than politicians. 
    They are setting a standard for compatibility, not requiring that laptops have wireless charging capabilities.  Since no laptops are currently shipping with wireless charging (to my knowledge) this will affect pretty much nothing for the forseeable future.
    nadriel
  • Reply 26 of 69
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If Apple listens to these morons’ device decisions then what next?

I am 100% against politicians who know nothing about tech telling tech companies how to design devices. 
    JWSClukei
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Beats said:
    If Apple listens to these morons’ device decisions then what next?

I am 100% against politicians who know nothing about tech telling tech companies how to design devices. 
    They tell tech companies what plugs they need to use on their power supplies too.  They tell tech companies what voltage they need to support.  They tell tech companies what wireless bands they are able to operate in.

Are you still 100% against?
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamnadriel
  • Reply 28 of 69
    omasouomasou Posts: 562member
    darkvader said:
    I wish they'd hurry it up.  It's insane that Apple is still using proprietary ports in 2022, and if it takes legislation to force them to stop, then the world needs that legislation.
    Lets see, Apple using a "proprietary" port on most of their devices except the newer iPads. I guess that make it a "standard" for folks in the Apple cult.

Someone needs to stop this madness and politicians are the perfect group to do it! /s

For me the larger problem is the companies still using mini and micro USB! That's such a horrible implementation.

edited April 2022 MplsPtmay
  • Reply 29 of 69
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    diz_geek said:
    Still cannot for the life of me figure out how this helps anything…. How often are people switching back and forth between iPhone to Android/other?  I could maybe see if the turnover was 100% every year, but it’s not…. I’m just not seeing where the “excess e-waste” is coming in here?  Heck, I was actually okay with ditching the charging cables and bricks with iPhones - we’ve had a standard plug for quite a while now, I don’t need new charging equipment every couple of years if the old ones still work fine!
    Not according to Brazil judge, you have to have chargers or else
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Apple should just look at this as another way to save the environment and effectively take 450,000 cars per year off the road like they did with not including the charger. Since everyone will already have USB-C cables Apple doesn’t have to include them in the box.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    darkvader said:
    I wish they'd hurry it up.  It's insane that Apple is still using proprietary ports in 2022, and if it takes legislation to force them to stop, then the world needs that legislation.
    Rubbish. The proprietary innovation that is Lightning was an inspiration to the industry to make something better with USB, which before USB-C had stood still for a very long time and pretty much sucked.

In the free world, companies are allowed to make things that work best for them and see what happens. Customers loved products using the proprietary 30-pin and Lightning interfaces. The market spoke very clearly. iPods and iPhones would have been poorer products had they been forced to use existing-ports only.
    You really believe that the USB-IF just created USB-C as a response to Apple’s Lightning port? These roadmaps are planned well in advance.
    nadriel
  • Reply 32 of 69
    While I am not for this legislative move, I can see why if the industry is moving to a standard anyway.  I am sure anyone that used the pre-smartphone cell phones can explain, each company and often each model of phone could have a different charging cable.

My issue with this is the current draft is to refined and I agree limits innovation.

I would have included these types of alternatives:

1.  Where the device is exclusively charged through a cabled charger, the accepting charging port shall be a USB-C port.

2.  Where the device is exclusively charged through wireless charging, the device shall be able to be charged utilizing the QI protocol.

3.  Where the device has a proprietary charging port, the device shall have the ability to be charged through either of the aforementioned means, in addition to the proprietary port.

4. Notwithstanding the standards and protocols stated within, ………
    pscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 69
    darkvader said:
    Rubbish. The proprietary innovation that is Lightning was an inspiration to the industry to make something better with USB, which before USB-C had stood still for a very long time and pretty much sucked.

In the free world, companies are allowed to make things that work best for them and see what happens. Customers loved products using the proprietary 30-pin and Lightning interfaces. The market spoke very clearly. iPods and iPhones would have been poorer products had they been forced to use existing-ports only.
    You really believe that the USB-IF just created USB-C as a response to Apple’s Lightning port? These roadmaps are planned well in advance.
    Apple contributed to USB-C.  Lightning came out 2 years before the initial publication (not final) of the USB-C spec.  And there was very little talk of reversibility of port until Apple came out with Lightning.

Who knows how much of a direct response it was, but it seems likely that there was at least a bit of inspiration.
    edited April 2022 MplsPtmay
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    Interesting. If European forces want to force Apple to design a certain way what’s the point of designing anything new at all? Maybe you guys can go back to using land line phones ☎️ 
  • Reply 35 of 69
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    darkvader said:
    Do you know people can use their old lighting cable from previous iPhone? Apple standardize in their iPhone ecosystem before anyone.
    Since when android ever standardize their charging port?
    JWSC
  • Reply 36 of 69
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:

Apple contributed to USB-C.  Lightning came out 2 years before the initial publication (not final) of the USB-C spec.  And there was very little talk of reversibility of port until Apple came out with Lightning.

Who knows how much of a direct response it was, but it seems likely that there was at least a bit of inspiration.
    Reversibility of a port just means you have to have redundancy built in which means you are sacrificing data speed. You can use that same space for extra data lanes.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:

Reversibility of a port just means you have to have redundancy built in which means you are sacrificing data speed. You can use that same space for extra data lanes.
    I guess so.  Bit off-topic though.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    what's the big deal? all macbooks use USB-c and some ipads use USB-c
    no one forced apple to use USB-c on those, it was by choice
    why can't all apple products use the same charging port???
    the only reason they are against it is the money they earn on the "made for iphone" licensing
    which they can't make if they use USB-c
    it's not that its a better port or design
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 69
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    In the grand scheme of things this is not something that I am going worry about - at all. I personally like Apple's Lightning connector a lot and even prefer it even to USB-C connector for compactness and ease of use. But it has inherent limitations and even Apple has moved a number of their premier products to USB-C.

I do have a certain level of concern, for mankind in general, that moving to a "universal" charging solution will make some folks believe that all charging solutions, power bricks, cables, connectors, etc., are interchangeable with respect to quality too, which is a very bad assumption. I personally trust that whatever charging connector Apple puts on their next generation of products that I purchase from them will serve my needs perfectly well. I also trust that any charging solutions that Apple (and quality vendors like Anker) sell that follow the EU's Anointed Charger Connection Standard will do their job safely and without electrocuting me or burning down my house. It does not sound like the proposed standard will include any sort of UL/CSA/CE type of quality or safety requirements/testing. Those of us who care about those sort of things will still have to lean on reputable vendors like Apple for quality products. Because of this I don't see this having any negative impact on Apple sales. Sorry EU. You tried.

The silver lining here is that this move should be the final coffin nail for the oh-so-hideous micro-USB connector. Finding out that a device you've purchased or received as a gift has a micro-USB connector is like finding a milk drowned cockroach in the bottom of your cereal bowl. The benefits of burying the micro-USB garbage once and for all is worth the minor annoyances of USB-C. If there wasn't so much confusion around all the various flavors of USB-C cables it would be a slam dunk rather than just an acceptable outcome. However, two steps forward and one step back is still progress, which is about as good as it gets for any bureaucratic process.

pscooter63muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 69
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Yes, let’s freeze technologies right where they are today! Buggy whip manufacturers say you’re too late for us. 
    pscooter63