Brazil orders Apple to pay iPhone buyer $1,000 for not including charger

Posted:
in iPhone
A court in Brazil's Goiania city says Apple is in violation of consumer protection laws, and must compensate a customer who was sold an iPhone without a charger.

Brazil's government has previously fined Apple for not including a charger with the iPhone 12 range
Brazil's government has previously fined Apple for not including a charger with the iPhone 12 range

Brazil's government has previously, and also repeatedly fined Apple for not including a charger with the iPhone. Now an individual customer in the city of Goiania has won a separate case against Apple.

According to local publication Tecmundo, the ruling by Judge Vanderlei Caires Pinheiro, convicts Apple of making an illegal "married sale." According to the country's Consumer Code (CDC) devices such as a smartphone must include a charger, and can be sold separately, but the separate sale must not be mandatory to allow the device to function fully.

"This is the sale married by concealment... of abusive and illegal commercial practice, undermining the provisions of the Consumer Protection Code," ruled the judge (in translation.) "The CDC aims to protect the weakest part of the contractual relationship, ensuring it against abusive practices and clauses in the supply of products and services."

During the case, Apple reportedly argued that users are not required to buy its charger. While the iPhone uses a Lightning connector, the provided cable is USB-C to Lightning, so any USB-C charger could be used. Apple further argued that its ceasing to include a charger was from environmental concerns.

Judge Pinheiro, however, maintained that it is not possible to use the iPhone's provided charging cable with other chargers, so therefore customers are required to buy Apple's product.

Apple has been ordered to compensate, the user with 5,000 Brazilian reais ($1,064).

It's not clear what model iPhone the buyer had, but for comparison, a base-level iPhone 13 costs 6,374 Brazilian reais. A USB-C charger costs 343 Brazilian reais.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't know why they don't just bundle them by default for R$6717 and allow a customer to optionally save R$343 by opting out of the charger.
    dewmedoozydozenronniOS_Guy80entropysjony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Does Tesla include a personal charging station with its cars? 

If the beef here is around the USB-C end then Apple could include a USB-C to USB-A adapter, which is less costly and has a smaller dump footprint than a charging brick. 
    edited April 2022 doozydozenmike1Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    I don't know why they don't just bundle them by default for R$6717 and allow a customer to optionally save R$343 by opting out of the charger.
    That’s actually not a bad idea.
    dewmedoozydozeniOS_Guy80watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dewme said:
    If they even sell in Brazil then they might come with the mobile connector.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 18
    DibiaseDibiase Posts: 11member
    Stupid lawsuit.  Apple made it clear that the phone doesn't come with a charger, you have the option not to buy the phone.  I could see and issue if they led you to believe the charger was included.   And why is the compensation not just the cost of the charger if that is the issue.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dewme said:

If the beef here is around the USB-C end then Apple could include a USB-C to USB-A adapter, which is less costly and has a smaller dump footprint than a charging brick. 
    as of 4/20/2022 Tesla is no longer including the charger 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    That’s actually not a bad idea.
    Maybe Apple will learn from ikrupp, 
    twokatmew
  • Reply 8 of 18
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    mikeaton said:
    dewme said:

Mobile charger that Tesla used to be included, now that there’s so many superCharbers, consumers dont need the mobiles one anymore. Tesla will sell you home charger for almost the same price, Tesla follows Apple w/c is good for environment as tree huggers says
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Throw a charger at him and 20 bucks for “trauma” or whatever mental harm this caused. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Just send them a charger and be done with it. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    dewme said:

They are required to be sold with a tow bar and trailer with a large diesel generator on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18

Judge Pinheiro, however, maintained that it is not possible to use the iPhone's provided charging cable with other chargers, so therefore customers are required to buy Apple's product.

Well that's just outright false.  I use Apple provided charging cables with other chargers every day.  That judge is either "dirty" or just plain stupid.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    ”Judge Pinheiro, however, maintained that it is not possible to use the iPhone's provided charging cable with other chargers” Couldn’t Apple take a no-name charger and demonstrate in the court that the iPhone in fact charges with other chargers?

When I saw this article in my Twitter feed, I first thought it was a post from The Onion. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Mobile charger that Tesla used to be included, now that there’s so many superCharbers, consumers dont need the mobiles one anymore. Tesla will sell you home charger for almost the same price, Tesla follows Apple w/c is good for environment as tree huggers says
    Most EV charging happens at home. Superchargers are mostly used on road trips.

Meanwhile GM includes and install a level 2 charger with the purchase of the Bolt EV and EUV (not sure about the Hummer or Lyriq) and AFAIK still includes a level 1 charger in the boot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    “Judge Pinheiro, however, maintained that it is not possible to use the iPhone's provided charging cable with other chargers”

does this judge know anything about technology?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    crowley said:
    I’ve argued that for a long time - include a $20 Apple store credit. If people want the charger they can get it for free. Otherwise they can get something else and a significant number will likely get something more expensive. Win for the consumer. Win for Apple. Win for the environment. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    mikeaton said:
    dewme said:

That’s not totally true. Tesla included a mobile charger that came with a 15A, 120V plug but could be used  up to 40A 240V. A large number of people simply used this as their primary home charging device.

a few days ago, Elon Musk announced that they would no longer include the mobile connector on orders placed after Apr 17 ‘because usage was so low.’ This causes a fair amount of controversy and many people, myself included suspect it was actually made as a cost saving measure. (I still think this was Apple’s primary motive, too. ‘Environmental concerns’ was just a cover.) In contrast to Apple and the iPhone charger, most people do not have an EV charger at home and it costs anywhere from $300-$500 or more to buy one as opposed to $10-20 for an iPhone charger. 

Super chargers are public charging stations installed by Tesla at stores, restaurants, etc. some people use them for charging, especially those who got cars several years ago that included free charging for life, but the majority of people charge at home. 

I wonder if Teslas sold in Brazil are required to include a charger?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Judge Pinheiro is an idiot.

The cable doesn't work with a USB-A charger, but works fine with any USB-C charger (or USB-C port on a Mac or PC).

Apple should just raise the iPhone price in Brazil by the cost of a charger and throw in the charger, e-waste be damned. And for every iPhone sold, they'll have also sold a charger (whether the customer needs or wants it or not).