Apple's iPhone 13 selling better than past lineups -- with one exception

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's iPhone 13 series is continuing to see stronger-than-usual demand well into 2022, although one model isn't selling nearly as well as the others.

iPhone 13 Pro
iPhone 13 Pro

In the March quarter, Apple's iPhone 13 delivered the company some of its best smartphone, with all four models claiming the largest share of U.S. sales in years, according to new data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

Combined, all four iPhone models accounted for 71% of total U.S. sales. The base iPhone 13 also had the largest share for a single iPhone model in years with a 38% slice of the pie.

"The new iPhone 13 models enjoyed some of the largest share we've seen in manyquarters," said Josh Lowitz, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. "The four models, including 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max, and 13 mini, accounted for almost three-quarters of sales in the March quarter. Last year at this time the then-new iPhone 12 models had 61% of sales."

However, the data suggests one model isn't as popular with customers as its stablemates. During the March quarter, the iPhone 13 mini accounted for only 3% of total sales.

Along with the model breakdown, CIRP also notes that its March quarter data indicates that buyers are now keeping their previous devices for a shorter period of time before upgrading -- marking a reversal of a long-time trend.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    So, the news continues about how awful sales were for the mini…. That makes it seems so exclusive to have one LOL.   I really enjoy mine and don’t care.   When I got rid of my 8 plus, I looked at the current iPhone pro max and how big and heavy they are.  They are even bigger and heavier than the 8 plus.  If you want to walk around with a “brick” go ahead.  Phones just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier,  at what point does it stop?   Then,  add the weight of case onto it..  could the name “mini” been a bad choice or matter that much?  What if they called it iPhone Stealth for example or something much cooler than “mini”,  would that have helped sales?  The screen on the mini is plenty big enough,  perhaps the 5.8 sized screen was the best size yet, which they did on the iPhone X.   But the
    mini remains a great phone that nobody wants. I wonder what Jobs would think of the ever increasing phone sizes that are the norm today.
    edited April 2022 williamlondonAlex1Nspock1234baconstangentropysretrogustoBeatsopinion
  • Reply 2 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Poor iPhone mini.  We (apparently a vocal minority) asked for one and Apple delivered.  No one can complain.  I got an iPhone 12 mini.  Love it.  Will be sad to see it go.

Although my wife and my mother complain about the size of the iPhone Max, they still prefer the large size because they like to read books on their iPhones.  I ask why they don't use their perfectly good iPads for reading and they shrug their shoulders.  I don't get it.
    M68000Alex1Nspock1234baconstangentropyspulseimagesretrogustodewmeopinion
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Me too. The mini is the size of the 7, but with a full screen. Fits perfectly in my pocket, and can go Mtb biking without falling out! I have an iPad and a watch, so a bigger iPhone doesn’t make sense. Plus when it falls, it’s much lighter so doesn’t break. Best iPhone size ever. I’ll get the 13 mini, and enjoy it as long as it lasts!
    M68000Alex1Nspock1234baconstangsandoropinion
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The mini form factor will become the next SE
    M68000
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Yet you see lots of minis around in the wild. At least I do. 
    What was it SJ said at launch they hope to sell 10mill a year.  At 3% of sales would still be well over that target. 
    Alex1Nspock1234JWSCsandorpulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I took a deep look at the phones recently when buying for family members 

I eliminated the mini because of battery capacity. My reasoning was an iphone 13 with 80% battery health will probably outlast (in terms of usage minutes and charge cycles) an iPhone 13 mini with an 80% battery health 

We keep our phones for several years 
    Alex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 22
    The mini form factor will become the next SE
    From your mouth to Tim’s ears. I would be so happy if that happened! I love my iPhone 13 mini and desperately want this form factor to survive.

I have been a fan since the days of the first SE. The last iPhone of the Steve Jobs era! I consider it the most beautiful iPhone ever made. Still have one in pristine condition as a keepsake. 
    edited April 2022 baconstangsandoropinion
  • Reply 8 of 22
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Me too. The mini is the size of the 7, but with a full screen. Fits perfectly in my pocket, and can go Mtb biking without falling out! I have an iPad and a watch, so a bigger iPhone doesn’t make sense. Plus when it falls, it’s much lighter so doesn’t break. Best iPhone size ever. I’ll get the 13 mini, and enjoy it as long as it lasts!
    I’m glad there is a Mini form factor out there for those who want it.  
    But I have to point out that my 12 Pro absolutely loves riding on my MTB and and my roadie. Never had a problem even on the biggest jumps or the sickest gnar. 🏔🚴📱
    Japheymarc g
  • Reply 9 of 22
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    cndgoose said:
    I took a deep look at the phones recently when buying for family members 

I eliminated the mini because of battery capacity. My reasoning was an iphone 13 with 80% battery health will probably outlast (in terms of usage minutes and charge cycles) an iPhone 13 mini with an 80% battery health 

We keep our phones for several years 
    Completely understand the battery concern…. I thought about that too but it’s been a non issue, at least for me.  
    spock1234
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Given that carriers don’t subsidize phones anymore, I now buy my iPhone with the expectation that it’s going to get handed down to one of my parents as a gift when I upgrade mine. (My parents are both of the mindset that they’ll use a device until it flat out dies, and just whine to me if the screen isn’t sensitive enough anymore, or if it’s too slow.) 

So when I upgraded my XR I ended up with a 13 as both parents would probably be fine with that screen size. If it were only for me I would have gotten a 13 mini though. 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I've got a 12 mini and am very happy with it. I wish it had a slightly bigger battery, but I have chargers wherever I need to be, so I can always give it a sip of juice if needed.

For those in between charging station times, I have a MagSafe battery pack. I've never needed it but it's still nice to keep nearby. I've not felt the need to upgrade to a 13. But if Apple decided to cancel the mini, I'll grab whatever series the last mini is, and keep that for when my mini gives up. $49 gets me a new battery installed, and that will probably last me longer than iOS support.
    M68000
  • Reply 12 of 22
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    The 13 mini will be the upgrade path i take from my 128 GB (original model) SE.
    I would have gone with a 14 mini if i thought it would exist & bring the macro function to the mini (the single feature that made me consider a non-small form factor phone)

There is quite a bit of overlap with the newest SE & the 13 mini - the tech advantage is slim & the buyers will be more split, segmenting the small form factor market.

• Reply 13 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    People who wanted that size already got the 12 mini, like me. I might get a 14 mini only if this one suddenly has a terrible terrible accident. Otherwise it would be the 15 mini
    sandor
  • Reply 14 of 22
    kiowawakiowawa Posts: 17member
    M68000 said:
    So, the news continues about how awful sales were for the mini…. That makes it seems so exclusive to have one LOL.   I really enjoy mine and don’t care.   When I got rid of my 8 plus, I looked at the current iPhone pro max and how big and heavy they are.  They are even bigger and heavier than the 8 plus.  If you want to walk around with a “brick” go ahead.  Phones just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier,  at what point does it stop?   Then,  add the weight of case onto it..  could the name “mini” been a bad choice or matter that much?  What if they called it iPhone Stealth for example or something much cooler than “mini”,  would that have helped sales?  The screen on the mini is plenty big enough,  perhaps the 5.8 sized screen was the best size yet, which they did on the iPhone X.   But the
    mini remains a great phone that nobody wants. I wonder what Jobs would think of the ever increasing phone sizes that are the norm today.
    Exactly the same experience. Had the 8 plus. In my 60s, issues seeing the 8 plus growing,  worried about a tiny screen of the mini.  Decided since it might phase out I would be able to sell it if it did not work for me. But it’s sooooo much better on my eyes than the 8 plus was.  I have a small and amazing phone that I can see better than my old phone, by far, and I cannot believe others are not buying them in droves. But then I almost did not. The 13 mini is a gem!  Will keep it until it loses function. Or until (and if) they update it and I stay with the mini on and on. 
    M68000
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I had the original SE, upgraded to the 12 Mini and love it. If Apple keeps the SE in its lineup, hopefully the design will improve when I need to replace my Mini in 4-5 years. Using the 8’s design is getting old. 
    opinion
  • Reply 16 of 22
    If i were younger, I'd prefer the mini as well.  But I'm not... I'm old.  My eyes don't focus as well as they used to and the larger screen makes it much easier to use without having to whip out reading spectacles all the time.

... Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

edited April 2022 JWSCdewme
  • Reply 17 of 22
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I’m hoping that at a certain point when they start feeling like most of the technologies have reached a sufficient level of maturity they will refocus their efforts towards making the high-end phones sleeker again. If they could make something the size of an iPhone 6 but with a full-face screen and high-end everything, I think it would blow a lot of minds. People have forgotten how thin, light and elegant that thing was. There will always be those who must have a bigger screen, but one-handed operability is a killer feature for me.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    JWSC said:
    Poor iPhone mini.  We (apparently a vocal minority) asked for one and Apple delivered.  No one can complain.  I got an iPhone 12 mini.  Love it.  Will be sad to see it go.

Although my wife and my mother complain about the size of the iPhone Max, they still prefer the large size because they like to read books on their iPhones.  I ask why they don't use their perfectly good iPads for reading and they shrug their shoulders.  I don't get it.
    FWIW, I actually enjoy ready text-only articles and books on my iPhone XS Max. I actually find it somewhat more immersive and focusing than reading text on a Mac or iPad. The experience isn’t terribly different than reading a narrow column newspaper or magazine article, without the snaking. For web content the Reader mode in Safari also provides a very pleasant reading experience on iPhone (and iPad and Mac). For mixed media, the iPad mini is my first choice due to its light weight and super crisp display.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The most used app on my 12 mini is kindle.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The “mini” is freaking huge. Why would I want something a few centimeters smaller than the 13 and the same size as the SE? Stupid. 
    williamlondon