Apple is switching its virtual Apple Cash cards to the Visa network

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is in the midst of switching its Apple Cash virtual debit cards to the Visa network, just days after the company rolled out new fraud protections for Apple Pay transactions.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The transition is being hinted at by updated images on the Apple Cash webpage, as well as in support documents. Some of the images have been swapped to reflect Apple Cash cards that are now Visa debit cards. The switchover, which apparently took place on April 19, was first spotted by Twitter user Kanjo.

Current cards stored in Wallet don't display the Visa logo, so it's likely that the changeover hasn't rolled out to all users yet. It isn't clear exactly when existing users will get their cards switched, but new Apple Cash accounts appear to be on the Visa network.

Since all new Apple Cash cards are being created on the Visa network, users can force a change to the Visa network by deactivating the Apple Cash card in Settings and reactivating it.

Previously, the Apple Cash card operated on the Discover network through a partnership with Green Dot Bank. Discover is a much smaller network than Visa or MasterCard.

The change in network comes just a couple of days after Apple began quietly notifying Apple Wallet users of enhanced fraud protection features on Visa cards. The new mechanisms include data with sharing with card networks to ensure transactions aren't fraudulent.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Believe it or not there are some retailers who don’t accept Discover so I can understand the switch to Visa.
    doozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    My Card is labeled MasterCard, so this story seems to be missing something.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    SabreGuy said:

The Apple Cash card is labeled MasterCard, or your Apple credit card is?

The credit card has always been MasterCard, and that's not changing.
    twokatmewdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 21
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    SabreGuy said:
    The AppleCard credit card is a MasterCard from Goldman Sachs. But the Applepay Cash debit card (which is what this article is about) is on Discover, now changing to Visa. 
    edited April 2022 williamlondontwokatmewdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Interesting in that last night at MIA airport I tried to pay for food with my Apple Cash card and it would not work even tho my balance on hand was over $120. Had to use a Chase Visa card
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I don't even know what I can use Apple Cash Card for beside Apple Store. It's an odd card that positioned oddly. I assume it acts like a gift that that you can refill. 
    jamnap
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Converting the Apple Cash card from Discover to VISA took mere seconds, once I saw how to do it. It's not a setting within the Apple Cash card itself. At the top level of Settings>Wallet & Apple Pay, just turn off the "Apple Cash" toggle and toggle it back on. Afterward, when you drill down into the Apple Cash card, you should then see it's on the VISA network.
    edited April 2022 igorskytwokatmewjamnapbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    I don't even know what I can use Apple Cash Card for beside Apple Store. It's an odd card that positioned oddly. I assume it acts like a gift that that you can refill. 
    It's like a pre-paid debit card. You can use it for anything.
    edited April 2022 jas99StrangeDayswatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Sweet, international rollout is coming.
    noelosAlex_Vwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 21
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    That was my thought too. Does this mean peer-to-peer payments are coming internationally too, I wonder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    You can use it just about anywhere that has an NFC reader. Many retailers also let you use multiple cards, so you can use up your Apple Cash balance then use another for the remainder.
    watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 12 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    cpsro said:
    Converting the Apple Cash card from Discover to VISA took mere seconds, once I saw how to do it. It's not a setting within the Apple Cash card itself. At the top level of Settings>Wallet & Apple Pay, just turn off the "Apple Cash" toggle and toggle it back on. Afterward, when you drill down into the Apple Cash card, you should then see it's on the VISA network.
    I used that procedure. In the Apple Cash settings I see it says its using the Visa network now, but FYI the card in the UI never updated to show "Visa" anywhere that I can see.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    igorsky said:
    It might be similar to a pre-paid debit card, but it is actually a (virtual) debit card tied to a bank account.
    edited April 2022 Alex_Vsphericwatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 14 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I wish the Apple Card would be switched to VISA. Costco doesn't take MasterCard.

cpsro said:
    Converting the Apple Cash card from Discover to VISA took mere seconds, once I saw how to do it. 
    Thank you! I just did this base on your post. Worked like charm. I'll that an Apple ID password is needed and the card will have to be Set Up, but again, mere seconds. Thanks!

lkrupp said:
    Believe it or not there are some retailers who don’t accept Discover so I can understand the switch to Visa.
    I had no idea. I had a Discover card eons ago and never had a problem, but I didn't use it all that much. But it's good to be on the VISA network, which is arguably bigger than MasterCard. I've used Apple Cash twice with no issue, but I hate to be that guy at the POS sayin "I've got money, don't know why it isn't working."

I used that procedure. In the Apple Cash settings I see it says its using the Visa network now, but FYI the card in the UI never updated to show "Visa" anywhere that I can see.
    Scroll down and look under CARD DETAILS > Network > Visa Debit

bonobob said:
    igorsky said:
    It might be similar to a pre-paid debit card, but it is actually a (virtual) debit card tied to a bank account.
    He said it's like a pre-paid debit card. You've made a distinction without of difference, in the scheme of things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    GS is paying me more than a thousand dollars per year to use my AppleCard. I use it for absolutely everything, except Costco of course. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Scroll down and look under CARD DETAILS > Network > Visa Debit
    I think he meant in the card image. On the main one there is no logo, but when you ope it up for settings, at the top there is a small card image with a discernible visa logo.
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    AlinAlin Posts: 16member
    I can also Confirm u
    You can use it now internationally with no fee just like the apple card. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    That was my thought too... gearing up for an international roll out of Apple Cash and Apple Card is my guess this coming Autumn / Fall... and not before time!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    notcbnotcb Posts: 4member
    Good news: They have apparently also removed any mention of an international transaction fee from the Terms and Conditions. IIRC the Discover card used to charge a heinous 3% fee for international purchases — that is, if you could find a merchant that accepted Discover/Diners Club at all.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    bonobob said:
    igorsky said:
    That's incorrect.  Apple Cash is tied to your Apple Cash balance, not to your bank account.  Yes you need a bank account to move money to and from Apple Cash, but if you have a zero balance in Apple Cash you cannot use it.
    watto_cobraravnorodom