iPhone 14 could sport upgraded front cameras for selfies, FaceTime calls

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2022
Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting that Apple may upgrade the front-facing cameras on all four of its iPhone 14 models to provide a better shallow depth-of-field for selfies and video calls.

iPhone 14 Pro
iPhone 14 Pro

In a tweet on Tuesday, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple could upgrade the front camera of its iPhone 14 models to autofocus (AF) and an aperture of about f/1.9. That would be a step-up from the fixed-focus (FF) and f/2.2 aperture on the iPhone 13.

(1/2)
The front camera of four new iPhone 14 models in 2H22 would likely upgrade to AF (autofocus) & about f/1.9 aperture (vs. iPhone 13's FF (fixed-focus) and f/2.2).

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Kuo says that autofocus support and a lower f-number can provide a better shallow depth-of-field for Portrait Mode and selfies. Additionally, it can also enhance the focus quality on both FaceTime or video calls and live-streaming, he adds.

At this point, it doesn't appear that the forecast is based on substantial information from the supply chain. Instead, Kuo's prediction here seems mostly based on market trends.

While Kuo's prediction focuses on the hardware of the iPhone 14 camera setup, other rumors have suggested that Apple would ditch the notch the camera is housed in for a design that includes both a pill-shaped and hole-punch cutout -- at least on the iPhone 14 Pro.

Additionally, other rumors have focused on the rear-facing camera on the new iPhone 14 models. According to reports and analyst predictions, the devices will have an upgraded 48-megapixel sensor.

Some reports have suggested that the device could also have a periscope or folded lens camera, which could enhance the zoom function. However, more recent rumors suggest that the new camera system won't arrive until 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    There is only one upgrade I care about for the next iPhone and its the reason I skipped the 13.  Please just make it USB C.  That's it.  Every other device I travel with is USB-C, just make it happen Apple!
    Japhey
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    There is only one upgrade I care about for the next iPhone and its the reason I skipped the 13.  Please just make it USB C.  That's it.  Every other device I travel with is USB-C, just make it happen Apple!

You know you can get a Lightning cable or MagSafe with a USB C connector on the other end.
    tokyojimudoozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1 said:

You know you can get a Lightning cable or MagSafe with a USB C connector on the other end.
    Well aware and I could say that about any cable format.  Doesn't mean I want to go back to old PS/2 or Serial ports for mouse/keyboard and other peripherals.  At this point, lightening isn't just inconvenient, its also outdated at usb 2.0 data transfer speeds.  Its a great physical connector design, in that regards its superior to USB C.  However, they moved every other item they make to USB C, it would make sense to do the same with the iphone.  
    doozydozenJaphey
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I disagreed. I don’t really like USB-C because the “tongue” inside that USB-C port can break easily unlike Lightning port. 
    doozydozenigorskyStrangeDaysdewme
  • Reply 5 of 14
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    In that case you probably won't get another iPhone ever again.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    As has been happening in recent years, it seems that the 14 will again be mainly about the camera upgrades--which I personally love as a prosumer photographer, but I have to think I'm in an increasingly small minority of buyers for whom any of these improvements matter. With all of Apple's emphasis on music, when was the last time you heard Apple talk about audio quality on the iPhone? Apple Music is now filled with lossless tracks and Apple Digital Masters, but we're still stuck with lossy AAC as the only option for Bluetooth playback. HELLO, TIM!

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Pro model iPhone offered in a color that wasn't the equivalent of a boring gray flannel suit. 
    napoleon_phoneapartdewme
  • Reply 7 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m with you. Not counting my iPhone (which I charge wirelessly) I’m down to only 2 products that still use Lightning. AirPods Max and Apple TV Remote, both of which are new(ish) and should have come with USB-C also. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    charlesn said:
    As has been happening in recent years, it seems that the 14 will again be mainly about the camera upgrades--which I personally love as a prosumer photographer, but I have to think I'm in an increasingly small minority of buyers for whom any of these improvements matter. With all of Apple's emphasis on music, when was the last time you heard Apple talk about audio quality on the iPhone? Apple Music is now filled with lossless tracks and Apple Digital Masters, but we're still stuck with lossy AAC as the only option for Bluetooth playback. HELLO, TIM!

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Pro model iPhone offered in a color that wasn't the equivalent of a boring gray flannel suit. 
    Is there a non lossy bluetooth standard currently? I know Qualcomm is working on a couple of chips but they aren't release yet.

dewme
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Take my money.  My 12 Pro Max is now getting long in the tooth.  Battery life is degrading (normally) and somehow the back glass cracked, even though it had a case on the whole time.  I would like to see a better front camera, USB-C, the pill and punch design, flush camera, better optical zoom, and the vapor chamber cooling.  Hopefully we can get rid of the dimming "feature."  A titanium case sounds great, too.  
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    mike1 said:

Well aware and I could say that about any cable format.  Doesn't mean I want to go back to old PS/2 or Serial ports for mouse/keyboard and other peripherals.  At this point, lightening isn't just inconvenient, its also outdated at usb 2.0 data transfer speeds.  Its a great physical connector design, in that regards its superior to USB C.  However, they moved every other item they make to USB C, it would make sense to do the same with the iPhone.  
    Lightning had its day.  But it's literally a decade old.  The data speeds suck, and it's prone to issues with dirt and debris.  Their physical cables are also perpetually terrible and do not hold up. I have an iPad Air 4, and the USB connection is far superior.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I full on support the USB C connection, BUT, someone needs to figure out a way identify what a cable is capable of doing after you take it out of it's package. Simply standardizing the connection is only half the battle. The USB C plug poking out of the side of my MacBook has "Anker" printed on one side and nothing printed on the other. I only use it for power and I know it can handle what I need. What else can it do? I don't know. Maybe they could have printed the specifications on the other side. I expect the casual user has no idea the wide variation of capabilities of a cable with a USB C connection on both ends. But, OK, let's standardize on it.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewme
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kbeekbee Posts: 25member
    igorsky said:
    In that case you probably won't get another iPhone ever again.
    The EU Anti Apple law will go live rhis summer. Lightning is EOL. Apple forced the EU to create a specification which port the industry has to use. It is USB-C. I don’t like this law, but it is Apples fault that no indistry standard for charging mobile devices could be found.

Count the days, lightning is dead.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Right now instead of making the physical cameras better they should focus on the camera software. This HDR-function that you can’t turn off ruins a lot of photos. It really doesn’t matter how good the physical camera is if the forced after processing does a bad job.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    jcs2305 said:
    charlesn said:

Is there a non lossy bluetooth standard currently? I know Qualcomm is working on a couple of chips but they aren't release yet.

There is not, but geez, shouldn't Apple be taking the lead here?! No one can match Apple's end-to-end control of audio: they can design and manufacture their own chips, they manufacture their own storage/playback devices, they're the world's top manufacturer of earphones/headphones, they design and release their own software, they own the world's second largest music service which now streams both lossless and "Apple Digital Masters." And we're waiting on Qualcomm because why? This could easily be an Apple-only lossless standard for Bluetooth transmission and so what? It's not like the size of their user-base wouldn't make that worthwhile. 
    edited April 2022