Android loses 8% market share while iOS grows

Posted:
in iPhone
New research shows that over the last five years, Android's market share has declined by 8%, while Apple iOS has grown by around 6%.

Apple dominates worldwide with the Apple Watch, and has taken a majority share of US headphone sales, but the iPhone is dramatically outnumbered by Android phones.

There are countless Android manufacturers, but they all use Google's OS and research firm StockApps has been examining the prevalence of Android OS versus iOS.

It reports that in 2018, at Android's highest ever share, the OS had 77.32% of the market. As of January 2022, that share was down to 69.74%.

"Android's loss of market share boils down to heightened competition within the OS space," says StockApps finance expert Edith Reads. "A look at the data shows that iOS gained 6% between July 2018 and January 2022."

"From 19.4% then, Apple has grown its OS market share to 25.49%," she continued. "Other small scale OS developers account for the remaining 1.58% that Google shed."

So iOS has increased its share by 6.09% as Android has shrunk. It doesn't materially change that Android has the greater number of phones in the market.

Percentage shares also take no account of whether a market has grown or not in these last five years. So it can't be extrapolated either that Apple is able to attract more new users, nor that the maturing market is coming to prefer iOS.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So why are governments going after the minority phone manufacturer? Shouldn’t they be going after Google? 

Of course it all has to do with money. Apple makes it on their hardware, Google makes it on ads. 
    Beatsqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rob53 said:
    So why are governments going after the minority phone manufacturer? Shouldn’t they be going after Google? 

Of course it all has to do with money. Apple makes it on their hardware, Google makes it on ads. 
    is it just me or did all this ramp up dramatically when Apple put more privacy controls into iOS that negatively impacted Google and Facebook?  probably is.. I'm sure the Epic lawsuit predates that.. but still.
    lkrupprob53Beatsqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    rob53 said:

is it just me or did all this ramp up dramatically when Apple put more privacy controls into iOS that negatively impacted Google and Facebook?  probably is.. I'm sure the Epic lawsuit predates that.. but still.
    Absolutely correct. Follow the money. 
    Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Apple just stated on its last earnings call that they are adding more new iPhone users this iPhone 13 cycle then they have in the last 5 years 

You don’t have to try to extrapolate that from this report 
    Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    but..but..but.... I want politicians to force Apple to work like Android!  I know iOS is more secure than Android and works much better but I don't care!  Wah....
    edited April 2022 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 10
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    rob53 said:

Maybe because Apple would not the governments monitor iOS? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Uh oh. That means the EU will start forcing Apple to use cheap parts in order for Android to compete. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    "Other small scale OS developers account for the remaining 1.58% that Google shed."

Any idea what the 'small scale OS's are?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    bala1234 said:
    "Other small scale OS developers account for the remaining 1.58% that Google shed."

Any idea what the 'small scale OS's are?

A bunch of knockoffs of Apple’s technology. KaiOS is the only different one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    This must really irk the choice-monkeys & as people elect quality over the superficial inclusion of choice-based marketing. It’s almost as if people are waking up. Watch how various governments push to break up Apple’s ‘oppressive’ integrated model with increasing  desperation as the illusion of Liberty fails.
    watto_cobra