New iMac Pro and M3 iMac coming, but not in 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
While Mac users wait for Apple to launch M2 models in 2022, it seems the company may already be working on the generation after that, with M3 and an iMac Pro possibly arriving in 2023.

Apple is expected to bring out new Macs sporting M2 chips, with a variety of launches anticipated for 2022. However, Apple is apparently already testing out what could be its third generation of Apple Silicon.

According to Mark Gurman in the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, an M3 chip is "already in the works" and currently undergoing testing. Though Gurman doesn't offer details of what the chip will offer, he expects it won't launch "until the end of next year at the earliest," referring to late 2023.

Gurman adds that he still thinks "an iMac Pro is coming. It just won't be anytime soon." The iMac Pro offered a high-performance alternative to the iMac, and a revival of the model was rumored to arrive in 2022 complete with a mini LED backlit display.

As for the M2 roadmap, Gurman outlines the plan as an M2 release in a new MacBook Air, entry-level MacBook Pro and Mac mini. M2 Pro and M2 Max chips are expected for updated 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro, and a dual M2 Ultra chip is touted for the Mac Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    As I said. 

Much to the chagrin of some a month ago who were riding “the iMac is discontinued” line hard. A hiatus is not discontinued. 

The m1 series just wasn’t ready for a true modern iMac Pro. The Studio is a nice stopgap like the old iMac Pro was. The ultra chip has been revealed to need some design review in order to unleash its full potential. More forgivable in something like the Studio vs a Mac Pro or iMac Pro. 

It’s an amazing machine that fills in the gap while we wait for the high end iMac. The coming Mac Pro makes the Studio somewhat redundant, though on a lower tier. It could stick around between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, but it would make iMac pricing strategies a bit problematic. 

While the m3 is “in the works,” it doesn’t equate to availability. With m2 launching in the fall this year, we could see m3 one year later. So this timeline sounds right. M1 went on a bit long, but that’s due to apple expanding the lineup and getting processes right. They have a path to follow now so things will speed up. 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 2 of 34
    The lack of a better chip option for the 24" iMac is a mystery.  A maxed-out current model iMac does not match the graphics of a maxed-out 21.5-incher from the previous generation.  Please Apple, just offer an M1 or M2 Pro (when they come out) in the 24" iMac!
    lkruppwilliamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    As I said. 

Much to the chagrin of some a month ago who were riding “the iMac is discontinued” line hard. A hiatus is not discontinued. 

The m1 series just wasn’t ready for a true modern iMac Pro. The Studio is a nice stopgap like the old iMac Pro was. The ultra chip has been revealed to need some design review in order to unleash its full potential. More forgivable in something like the Studio vs a Mac Pro or iMac Pro. 

It’s an amazing machine that fills in the gap while we wait for the high end iMac. The coming Mac Pro makes the Studio somewhat redundant, though on a lower tier. It could stick around between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, but it would make iMac pricing strategies a bit problematic. 

While the m3 is “in the works,” it doesn’t equate to availability. With m2 launching in the fall this year, we could see m3 one year later. So this timeline sounds right. M1 went on a bit long, but that’s due to apple expanding the lineup and getting processes right. They have a path to follow now so things will speed up. 
    There's no reason for a hiatus when they managed both an M1 iMac and a Studio display. Gurman is just doing what all analysts do when they have wrong predictions. To avoid it being a stain on their record, they try to spin it into a later timeline and eventually they stop mentioning it until people forget they said it. One of them kept going on about Apple making a TV for years. Gurman said an iMac Pro was coming this year:

https://www.imore.com/gurman-next-imac-pro-likely-look-bigger-imac-better-chips

He was wrong. Permanent stain on record. Remember it every time he says something and pretends it's inside info.

The 27" Studio display costs $1600, the entry Mac Studio is $2000, that would make the entry non-XDR iMac Pro $3600 unless they had M1 Pro at the entry level. Either way, it would leave a significant gap between it and the M1 iMac and wouldn't offer anything over a Mac Studio + Studio display.
    badmonkAlex1Ndewmedocno42roundaboutnow
  • Reply 4 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:
    As I said. 

There's no reason for a hiatus when they managed both an M1 iMac and a Studio display. Gurman is just doing what all analysts do when they have wrong predictions. To avoid it being a stain on their record, they try to spin it into a later timeline and eventually they stop mentioning it until people forget they said it. One of them kept going on about Apple making a TV for years. Gurman said an iMac Pro was coming this year:

He was wrong. Permanent stain on record. Remember it every time he says something and pretends it's inside info.

The 27" Studio display costs $1600, the entry Mac Studio is $2000, that would make the entry non-XDR iMac Pro $3600 unless they had M1 Pro at the entry level. Either way, it would leave a significant gap between it and the M1 iMac and wouldn't offer anything over a Mac Studio + Studio display.
    Did he claim any insider source for the iMac Pro expectation?  You haven't linked to a Gurman article there, just an article re-reporting him.,
    slow n easy
  • Reply 5 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Most consumers don’t read AI so this information generally won’t stop them from buying when they want to. 

Of course, all of us care and we know new products are always on the horizon. Problem is I want to replace my iMac 2015 one more time while I still have an interest in computers and the constant new products give me heartburn trying to decide when to spend money on one last, almost full-blown Mac. Please tell me the M1 Max will not be EOL’d in the next 10 years (software wise) and I would be comfortable with the new, base model Mac Studio (of course with more storage and maybe memory) and the Studio Display. 
  • Reply 6 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:
    Most consumers don’t read AI so this information generally won’t stop them from buying when they want to. 

Of course, all of us care and we know new products are always on the horizon. Problem is I want to replace my iMac 2015 one more time while I still have an interest in computers and the constant new products give me heartburn trying to decide when to spend money on one last, almost full-blown Mac. Please tell me the M1 Max will not be EOL’d in the next 10 years (software wise) and I would be comfortable with the new, base model Mac Studio (of course with more storage and maybe memory) and the Studio Display. 
    Rumors should never enter in to a buyer’s calculations. You buy what you need when you need it. There is no point in waiting, waiting, waiting for the next big thing. People like me fell into this trap waiting for the M1 27” iMac that never happened. I will wait one more time for WWDC, this time for an updated Mini, and that’s it. If that doesn’t materialize then it’s either a 24” iMac or tricked out Mini and display. My 2013 27” iMac is still performing flawlessly but I’m stuck three generations of macOS behind. And no way will I patch Monterey to run on my almost ten year old machine.
    danoxbandits1iqatedod_2Alex1Ndewmedocno42argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,851member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:

Rumors should never enter in to a buyer’s calculations. You buy what you need when you need it. There is no point in waiting, waiting, waiting for the next big thing. People like me fell into this trap waiting for the M1 27” iMac that never happened. I will wait one more time for WWDC, this time for an updated Mini, and that’s it. If that doesn’t materialize then it’s either a 24” iMac or tricked out Mini and display. My 2013 27” iMac is still performing flawlessly but I’m stuck three generations of macOS behind. And no way will I patch Monterey to run on my almost ten year old machine.

But you should wait until the developers conference (just around the corner) to make a final decision.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    I still argue that they’ll bring out a larger iMac for two simple reasons: there’s a price gap in their current lineup and just the simple fact they refer to the new iMac as iMac 24” on the online shop!
    d_2
  • Reply 9 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,851member
    As I said. 

Apple marketing/bean counters weren’t ready, inexcusable that a big/little screen iMac were not released at the same time, also a half size and large size Mac Pro tower should   also in the cards, but the Gemini company will just continue on with two steps forward one step back…..
    williamlondon9secondkox2jesusfreak
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Looking forward to aggressive updates cycles now that apple doesn’t haven’t to wait on significant delay after delay from Intel
    edited April 2022 lkruppwilliamlondondoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Definitely a prosumer gap at the moment. No 27 inch iMac, and a base studio and studio display costs a lot more!

I would settle for an Mx Pro Mac mini but it should be a lot less than a 5K iMac.
    doozydozensandyman18d_2argonautAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 34
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    rob53 said:

Why is the M1 Max special? As long as Apple Silicon-based software is available, the M42 SupraMegaWonderful will run the same code the M1's did. While only you can predict if something wonderful™ in the future could convince you to replace your 2022 iMac with a newer model, you can pretty safely predict that neither Intel nor Apple will be selling the exact same CPUs in 2032 that they're selling this year. In case you missed it, when Apple introduced the original M1 lineup, they introduced a compatibility mode for apps that had not been rewritten/recompiled for Apple Silicon — and everything I've heard about it has been good. Why worry? Buy when you need a new machine, or can't help the money flying out of your pocket. (Disclaimer: I own some shares in Apple but not enough to send even one kid to a private college. Even for a year.)
    docno42williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 34
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    As I said. 

Apparently Apple did not receive your memo.

Apple confirmed to Ars that the 27-inch iMac has reached end of life.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/apples-27-inch-intel-imac-disappears-from-its-online-store-with-no-replacement/
    9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    The Intel iMac 27” has been discontinued.   That doesn’t mean that there will not ever be a larger screened iMac in the future, 27 or otherwise.

Unless Apple changes the laws of physics, I cannot conceive of how they will squeeze enough heat sink into an iMac as thin as the 24” for an M1/2/3 Max or Ultra.  Maybe some crazy heat spreader?  Maybe make the entire back of the iMac a heat sink?   No clue. 

However, I do see them offering an M1/2/3 Pro processor in an iMac of 27+ inches and calling it Pro.  They did it for the laptops.   It will likely have a $2500+ price tag.  

The next Mac to be released is the Mac Pro.   I’ve heard double stacked M1 Ultras with 20 to 40 cores.  I guess it’s in a patent.  Think double Mac Studios.

what’s really unknown is if Apple will ever offer any kinds of “Slots”.  Memory will likely never ever be expandable to keep the bandwidth speeds up.   SSDs can have slots like the Studio, but no one has cracked how to upgrade a studio AFAIK.   

There’s some good products coming.  The M2 will be amazing.  I imagine nearly annual improvements just like we get with the iPhone.  Some may be for speed, other may be for energy (battery life for portables).   Expect the new form factors for the iMac, Studio, and new Macbooks to be used for at least 5-10 years.  
  • Reply 15 of 34
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Wow, an M3!? Some time in the next couple of years, or later?!

Talk about forecasting the obvious.
    mike1
  • Reply 16 of 34
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    flydog said:
    As I said. 

Apparently Apple did not receive your memo.

Apple confirmed to Ars that the 27-inch iMac has reached end of life.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/apples-27-inch-intel-imac-disappears-from-its-online-store-with-no-replacement/

Marvin said:
    As I said. 

While I hear what you are saying, 

it’s also a fact that the previous iMac 5k was a much better deal than the apple studio plus studio display. And it was packing some great Intel performance for it’s day. 

Apple is milking a setup they created in order to do exactly that. I do believe the ultra does not run as cool as they’d like without handicapping it a bit as shown in various testing. That makes sense to not force it into an iMac chassis. The m2 version will be more efficient and the m3 will likely hecc be where it all comes together. 

I do remember the 32” info. Then it gave way to the 27”. That makes all the sense in the world given the iMac was delayed and the studio was given the green light. 

Going to make one heck of a “one more thing” when it’s ready. 
    jesusfreakwilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 131member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:

I pretty well fall into your category two. I just want a 27” imac, and had just concluded that a decent mini and a display would be the the way to go. It’s not exactly that Apple’s going to lose out on the deal, and may be my only suitable. short-term option. Like you, I’m waiting to see what does or doesn’t pop up at WWDC this year. I’ve been putting replacing my mid-2010 27” since ‘Apple Silicon’ was mooted - but wait another 12-18 months? I’m not going to do that. And I’m even further behind in OS versions, which is starting to become frustrating.
    jesusfreak
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Please, tell us something we don’t know.
    With just basic knowledge of how the semiconductor industry work, we know, assuming a given product cycle (let’s say 18 months) that M2 chpisbate finalised, M3 are in testing, M4 are in an advanced design stage, and M5 in conception, and M6 in inception.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Would be interesting see someone compute the “batting average” of analysts like Gurman, without any benefit of late stage revisionism. I guess a lot of folks listen to these cyber soothsayers as if they are product managers working at Apple because they say what some people want to hear and have no points deducted from their cred score for being flat ass wrong.

Of course Apple is working on later generations of Apple Silicon chips. That’s what product companies that plan on being in business beyond the next quarter do to survive - continuous product improvement. Making up names for chips that aren’t coming from Apple announcements, like M2, M3, … M16, etc., is simply play acting, especially when doing so implies some imaginary fantastical leap in performance simply by virtue of incrementing the numerical suffix. We have no idea what is coming or what it means until Apple tells us directly our some lowlife internal mole leaks it from the inside. Until it’s something you can order and slap down your credit card to bring into your life, it’s all just fantasy. 

Analyst? Nah, more like a story teller. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Could we just get a new M based 27" iMac with upgradable RAM?  Come on Apple?!  I'm a stock holder, and love the profits, but forcing customers to buy outdated equipment and to no degree of upgradability is really not cool.
    williamlondonAlex1N