Apple's iPhone repair tool kit that it rents is wheeled and weighs 79 pounds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Trust Apple to make it way more complicated than it needs to be.
    When is the last time you performed ignition timing on your vehicle.  Or swapped out a bad wrist pin on a piston?  Some folks have the tools to do these jobs at home, but they aren’t free or cheap.  Nor are the instructions simple. 
    Do those folks rent them a week at a time, with the replacement cost up front, and “a fee and a tax” if they need them any longer than a week?

As I said, more complicated than it needs to be, to fuel Apple’s control freakery and Nicole and diming.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    When is the last time you performed ignition timing on your vehicle.  Or swapped out a bad wrist pin on a piston?  Some folks have the tools to do these jobs at home, but they aren’t free or cheap.  Nor are the instructions simple. 
    Do those folks rent them a week at a time, with the replacement cost up front, and “a fee and a tax” if they need them any longer than a week?

As I said, more complicated than it needs to be, to fuel Apple’s control freakery and Nicole and diming.
    Nicole? Yes, that's pretty much how it goes if you rent automotive repair tools… Checks a few sites… deposit = purchase price.
    radarthekatstompyjony0
  • Reply 23 of 46
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    LOL What a freak show  :D
  • Reply 24 of 46
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Nicole? Yes, that's pretty much how it goes if you rent automotive repair tools… Checks a few sites… deposit = purchase price.
    A 1 ton piece of complicated equipment with an internal combustion engine vs. a 10 oz. handheld device.
    Yep, totally apples and apples comparison.
    darkvader
  • Reply 25 of 46
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    So is the "superscrew" bit the pentalobe screw? (and what's super about it?)

The big thing I notice is you can get a complete kit from fixit that includes everything you need weighs about 1/10th as much and includes the battery for less than it costs to rent this kit for a week. 

My assumption is that Apple simply put all the tools used by their authorized repair centers because, unlike iFixit, they have absolutely no incentive to develop any sort of cheaper, smaller alternative methods, and for those who want to they can use the 'professional' tools.
    darkvader
  • Reply 26 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    tyler82 said:
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

A 1 ton piece of complicated equipment with an internal combustion engine vs. a 10 oz. handheld device.
    Yep, totally apples and apples comparison.
    Question is, which side is the comparison biased against?  Your argument might not be the one you think you’re making.  
    stompy
  • Reply 27 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    MplsP said:

The big thing I notice is you can get a complete kit from fixit that includes everything you need weighs about 1/10th as much and includes the battery for less than it costs to rent this kit for a week. 

My assumption is that Apple simply put all the tools used by their authorized repair centers because, unlike iFixit, they have absolutely no incentive to develop any sort of cheaper, smaller alternative methods, and for those who want to they can use the 'professional' tools.
    If your assumption is correct, and it may be, then that just suggests Apple isn’t targeting the one-off individuals who want to replace their own battery.  It’s available to them if they want to go that route, but It would seem a better choice to go with iFixit’s solution.  So what does this suggest?  It suggests, counter to some language in the article and assumptions made by some commenters, that Apple is targeting this as a trial for those who want to do repairs on a regular basis; those who would charge for their repair service.  Rent it for a week, compare to any alternatives and keep it if it suits your needs.  The full price has already been authorized against your credit card.  Sounds pretty convenient to me.  
    thtMplsP
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Who Rents Automotive repair tools?  You either own them and don't need a manual to fix the automobile, because you've either been taught, or a mechanic friend helps.  I don't know of a single place that rents a lift, and you have to be a ticketed mechanic to buy the diagnostic computer or get one on the black market.  My brakes on my Challenger Skat Pack are worth more that 4 iPhones, my Bridgestone tires are worth 2 iPhones.  iPhones are pennies compared to most useful products.  My Tenor Selmar Sax is worth six iPhones.  Are we talking pennies or Dollars?
  • Reply 29 of 46
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    crowley said:

You're arguing with someone who had admitted to never having repaired, or attempted to repair anything.  Has never walked the walk, but tries to talk the talk.  Waste of time.
    stompy
  • Reply 30 of 46
    tobiantobian Posts: 148member
    MplsP said:

this kit contains exactly all the tools required for excellent iphone repair, and when you use them properly, following apples own guide, you can be sure that resulting iphone will keep it’s IP68 properties, drop resistance, SAR levels, camera capture quality (alignment), etc..

for example this heavy Display press thingy distributes the pressure over all the surface evenly (it wont allow you pressing too hard, making damage), for exact time (it counts seconds and beeps for finish), it’s positioning the display precisely using proper fixture, etc..

give me a break with iFixit amateur toolkit.
    AppleSince1976stompy
  • Reply 31 of 46
    citpeks said:
    crowley said:

You're arguing with someone who had admitted to never having repaired, or attempted to repair anything.  Has never walked the walk, but tries to talk the talk.  Waste of time.
    Huh? I repair things all the time. Where are you imagining I “admitted” any such thing?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Lol, nickel.

Ok, if there are areas of automotive repair that also having this mandatory rental arrangement then that’s equally shitty.  I never said Apple had a monopoly on thickheadedness. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Graeme000 said:
    amar99 said:
    One complaint leads to another, what's new? It's a high-precision product, requiring specialized tools to repair.
    I agree. This article seems very whiny. The cost of the parts seems very reasonable and if you don’t have the tools, then you rent them. I don’t see an issue with the setup. 
    Exactly.

I don't think they require you to rent the toolkits.

My local AutoZone Grabs a Deposit equal to the sales price of whatever specialty tools you need to borrow. This seems reasonable.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    MplsP said:

I guess you missed the part about the toolkitS being Device, and sometimes even Repair-Specific; and that some models/repairs requiring more than one Kit?

Reading is FUNdamental!
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Paul_B said:
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Who Rents Automotive repair tools?  You either own them and don't need a manual to fix the automobile, because you've either been taught, or a mechanic friend helps.  I don't know of a single place that rents a lift, and you have to be a ticketed mechanic to buy the diagnostic computer or get one on the black market.  My brakes on my Challenger Skat Pack are worth more that 4 iPhones, my Bridgestone tires are worth 2 iPhones.  iPhones are pennies compared to most useful products.  My Tenor Selmar Sax is worth six iPhones.  Are we talking pennies or Dollars?
    Who rents automotive tools?

Me, from my local AutoZone; when I have to pull a Flywheel or Main Pulley once every 20 years.

And I don't even play Sax; but I know it's Selmer; not Selmar!
    jcs2305stompy
  • Reply 36 of 46
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Obviously no one works on their own cars where you can:

1) whip up a tool from what you have around the garage for free
    2) buy/rent the off-brand gadget that handles a few different situations on various similar cars
    3) pay hundreds/thousands for the specific tool listed in the manufacturer's official repair manual for one specific step in one specific procedure. The tool has been third-party certified under 9 different engineering standards.
    See: John Deere vs farmers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor
    darkvader
  • Reply 37 of 46
    tobian said:
    MplsP said:

this kit contains exactly all the tools required for excellent iphone repair, and when you use them properly, following apples own guide, you can be sure that resulting iphone will keep it’s IP68 properties, drop resistance, SAR levels, camera capture quality (alignment), etc..

for example this heavy Display press thingy distributes the pressure over all the surface evenly (it wont allow you pressing too hard, making damage), for exact time (it counts seconds and beeps for finish), it’s positioning the display precisely using proper fixture, etc..

give me a break with iFixit amateur toolkit.
    And yet how many people have successfully used the iFixit toolkit and been totally happy? It's like saying you have to have the $100 Snap On wrench to do a good job changing the oil in your car. I'm not arguing that they are the same, just that they can do the same job.

MplsP said:

I guess you missed the part about the toolkitS being Device, and sometimes even Repair-Specific; and that some models/repairs requiring more than one Kit?

Reading is FUNdamental!
    Nope. Did you miss that part about the iFixit kit being repair specific? How does your comment change or even relate to mine?
    darkvader
  • Reply 38 of 46
    MplsP said:

If your assumption is correct, and it may be, then that just suggests Apple isn’t targeting the one-off individuals who want to replace their own battery.  It’s available to them if they want to go that route, but It would seem a better choice to go with iFixit’s solution.  So what does this suggest?  It suggests, counter to some language in the article and assumptions made by some commenters, that Apple is targeting this as a trial for those who want to do repairs on a regular basis; those who would charge for their repair service.  Rent it for a week, compare to any alternatives and keep it if it suits your needs.  The full price has already been authorized against your credit card.  Sounds pretty convenient to me.  
    Yeah, I think you're right about the real target in this. Interestingly, it may also allow outfits like iFixit to make better tools, too. 

Overall, I think it's a win. People can access the official repair guide and tools if they like. If it's not worth it to them the other routes are still available and are probably better than they were before.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    You want professional tools? Prepare to lug them around. That’s the way it works. 

• Reply 40 of 46
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    hexclock said:
    You want professional tools? Prepare to lug them around. That’s the way it works. 

but a hammer drill that will make an 8 mm hole through three courses of brick is useless for undoing pentalobe screws!

And, honestly, when it comes to construction equipment, professional =  bigger = better cooling, so you can run it 8 hours straight w/o burning out. 

Professional doesn't have to mean outlandishly big & powerful, it is simply about having the correct tools for the job.
    edited April 2022 williamlondonPaul_BMplsPdarkvader