Everything we know about the redesigned MacBook Air with M2 processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    DuhSesame said:
    Ports look odd, there's no gap between the Magsafe and the Type-C. Did they render correctly?
    Does not look like they attempted to properly size everything. So, rendered correctly, but they didn't bother to do it correctly. Just look at the right side with the 3.5 mm audio port and USBC port. Last I checked, the audio port is a lot bigger than that.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    tht said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Ports look odd, there's no gap between the Magsafe and the Type-C. Did they render correctly?
    Does not look like they attempted to properly size everything. So, rendered correctly, but they didn't bother to do it correctly. Just look at the right side with the 3.5 mm audio port and USBC port. Last I checked, the audio port is a lot bigger than that.
    I almost mistaken that with a microphone.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Yes. I like. 
  • Reply 24 of 45
    All I want is a 14" M2 (base processor) with MagSafe, 2-Thunderbolt ports,  32-GB RAM and support for 2-monitors. A few extra cores, the media engine and real function keys will round things out well, provided it has a black bezel and keys. Love to have colors but not with white anything.
    docno42
  • Reply 25 of 45
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 832member
    I would be interested in what Apple feels is the current and future audience for the MBAirs.  Is it evolving?  
    Yes, it is evolving, because the M-chip has made the Air more than powerful enough for most users--at least 85% and perhaps higher. If you want to get a real world sense of the current M Air capabilities, read Mark Ellis on Medium, who actually uses one for the creation of video content on his YouTube channel. Honestly, unless you work professionally in a field with apps that demand full-time high horsepower--in which case you need the MB Pro--the current Air is likely good enough and the next gen will only be better. 

BUT... I do feel the Air has lost the magic of its original intention along the way. This was the laptop that Steve pulled out of a mailing envelope to the astonishment of everyone--and if you haven't seen that video recently, it's worth re-watching... someone in the audience actually gasps, "Oh, my god!" It was UNBELIEVABLY thin and light-weight compared to anything else available. And now? It's still thinner than an MB Pro, but just a few ounces lighter (than the entry MB Pro) and about the same dimensions. 

A true heir to the Air's intention would be an M-series MacBook 12", with the same number of ports as the current M-Air. At a weight of just two pounds, and a slightly smaller form factor, I think it was the best general-use laptop that Apple ever created, and now it could finally have the horsepower and ports it was lacking. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and what we'll get is a great general use laptop that carries on the magic and intention of the Air in name only. 
    TRAG
  • Reply 26 of 45
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    The M2 will beat the M1. 

Comparing M2 to M1 Max or M1 Ultra is comparing single to multi-core.  
  • Reply 27 of 45
    …Sorry, but a white notch looks like crap...
    You seriously need to change your diet. Or are you a bird?
    williamlondonspock1234
  • Reply 28 of 45
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Hope it looks NOTHING like those renders. Looks like a cheap chrome book made by fisher price. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 45
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I would be interested in what Apple feels is the current and future audience for the MBAirs.  Is it evolving?  
    If the new MBA could have at least 32GB of RAM my 16” MacBook Pro will be come a desktop computer and I’d switch back to the MBA as my full time computer in a heartbeat.  

I love everything about the MacBook Pro except for the size/weight.  Once you get used to an MBA it’s hard to go back. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Hope it looks NOTHING like those renders. Looks like a cheap chrome book made by fisher price. 
    Hehe, you have not seen some of the feet in other renders with the skids? Kind of mysterious as the sled-feet are going be on the new Mac mini too, or so say the renders for the rumored devices.

Considering the rumors and the hardware so far, the MBA will have a 13.6" display with a notch and thinner bezels, a keyboard with a full height function row, will have its name embossed on the bottom, will be a rounded rectangle design like the MBP14/16 but will be about 0.5" thick, will come in iMac colors, and will come with the M2. It's going to look really nice imo.

If the M2 will have a 32 GB RAM option and be able to support 2 external monitors, who knows. Wouldn't count on it. If it has a miniLED, it's starting price will be $1300, or maybe $1500. The $1000 SKU will likely be the existing 2020 MBA, but with 8 GPU cores. Either this, or the $1000 SKU will not have a miniLED.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    charlesn said:
    A true heir to the Air's intention would be an M-series MacBook 12", with the same number of ports as the current M-Air. At a weight of just two pounds, and a slightly smaller form factor, I think it was the best general-use laptop that Apple ever created, and now it could finally have the horsepower and ports it was lacking. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and what we'll get is a great general use laptop that carries on the magic and intention of the Air in name only. 
    I'm not sure what a good use case would be for the 12" laptop other than being cute and, of course, being able to slip into and out of a mailing envelop.  I don't think anyone misses the 12" but I suppose there are a few fans such as yourself.  I have the 2020 Macbook Air and it is quite honestly the most gorgeous piece of hardware I have ever owned.  It is the perfect size.  I'm not a fan of macOS because I'm a Windows guy...but still I can't stop using it and it is my daily "going-to-bed-with" driver (ha ha...I watch Netflix and Disney Plus on it mostly before going to sleep).  Again, not too big or too small...just perfect in size and weight. 

Anyway, for you and other MacBook 12" fans I will hope Apple will add that form factor to their line up...who knows it may be saved for a future "Just One more Thing" reveal.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    amarkap said:
    charlesn said:
    I'm not sure what a good use case would be for the 12" laptop other than being cute and, of course, being able to slip into and out of a mailing envelop.  I don't think anyone misses the 12" but I suppose there are a few fans such as yourself.  I have the 2020 Macbook Air and it is quite honestly the most gorgeous piece of hardware I have ever owned.  It is the perfect size.  I'm not a fan of macOS because I'm a Windows guy...but still I can't stop using it and it is my daily "going-to-bed-with" driver (ha ha...I watch Netflix and Disney Plus on it mostly before going to sleep).  Again, not too big or too small...just perfect in size and weight. 

Anyway, for you and other MacBook 12" fans I will hope Apple will add that form factor to their line up...who knows it may be saved for a future "Just One more Thing" reveal.
    I loved my 12" PowerBook Pro, but that was back when the 4:3 aspect ratio was in use. That was over 70 sq inches of display area. To move to 12.1" with a 16:10 display would be knocking 7% off the display area, which is significant.
    amarkap
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Xed said:
    amarkap said:
    charlesn said:

I loved my 12" PowerBook Pro, but that was back when the 4:3 aspect ratio was in use. That was over 70 sq inches of display area. To move to 12.1" with a 16:10 display would be knocking 7% off the display area, which is significant.
    I think modern office automation apps, web browsers and multitasking workflows have made 12" laptops untenable. Eg, MS Outlook makes full use of my MBP15, and I wish it is bigger sometimes. Can't imagine what it would be like on a 12" display. There are niche users, like niche users for an iPhone mini, but a 12" display size can not serve as a mass market entrant in Apple's lineup.

I had an iBook 12.1" dual USB. It was a great laptop. Played many many hours of Age of Empires on it, used web browsers of the day, but today, it just wouldn't work out. Just have a hard time thinking that it would make a good laptop for today's mass market software. If anything, Apple has to try to get to 14" display sizes for their low end entrant. Rumors are saying 13.6", likely with a notch, so that's good news imo.

It's not the thinness, it's the lightness. Having it be 0.5" thick isn't as important as having it be 2 lbs. Having it thin is the number 1 way to keep the weight down, but if it was 0.6" thick and 2 lb with a 13.6" display, I think that is a big win.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    PowerBook Pro?  Was that ever a thing?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    crowley said:
    PowerBook Pro?  Was that ever a thing?
    Just a PowerBook.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Xed said:
    amarkap said:
    charlesn said:

Now 12 inch Powerbook  teamed with rumour of folding screen Mac-alike thing. Get an M2 Pro in something like that sort of device so it can drive an external screen and Apple could have a Mac/iPad killer.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    If they gave me an M1 in green, I would buy it FAST.

I just want a green MacBook to match my AirPods is that too much to ask?

=/
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 45
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    You know one thing.  The analysts who feed you info, know nothing.  They do know how to sucker sites like this for attention though.  You gullible fools, I hope they pay you.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 45
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Everything we know about the redesigned MacBook Air with M2 processor
    “Everything we don’t know”. 

Just fixing your clickbaitey headline for you.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I always keep in context this is an Apple rumor site, at least until they have actual hardware and software to test that the rest of us can buy.

What can be said that Apple Insider knows is they need to keep fresh content to pay the bills 😏
    williamlondon