Apple has another record-breaking quarter, reporting $97.28B in revenue for Q2 2022

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited April 2022
Apple has confirmed it has raked in $97.28 billion in revenue in the second quarter of 2022, again breaking its year-over-year figures in a still challenging environment.

Announced by the iPhone maker on Thursday ahead of the usually-scheduled conference call with analysts, the revenue for the quarter ending March 2022 is an increase year-over-year from the $89 billion reported in Q2 2021.

The quarter's gross margin reached 43.7%, up from the year-ago quarter's 42.5% figure. Operating expenses shifted from $10.6 billion in Q2 2021 to $12.6 billion in Q2 2022. The diluted earnings per share is set at $1.52.

The period was the first full quarter of sales for the third-gen AirPods, the Apple Silicon 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro, and the Apple Polishing Cloth.

During the period, Apple also introduced new products, including the Studio Display, fifth-generation iPad Air, the third-gen iPhone SE, and the Mac Studio.

Revenue from iPhone in the quarter was $50.57 billion, a jump from Q1 2021's $47.9 billion, while iPad is down to $7.65 from $7.8 billion.

Mac revenue grew to $10.44 billion from $9.1 billion one year ago, and Wearables, Home, and Accessories rose to $8.8 billion from $7.8 billion.

Services, an ever-reliable growth arm for Apple, brought in $19.8 billion, up 17.26% from $16.9 billion last year.

"This quarter's record results are a testament to Apple's relentless focus on innovation and our ability to create the best products and services in the world," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We are delighted to see the strong customer response to our new products, as well as the progress we're making to become carbon neutral across our supply chain and our products by 2030."

As usual, Apple hasn't provided a public forecast for what it expected its results to be, a policy it has adopted throughout the pandemic.

"Continued strong customer demand for our products helped us achieve an all-time high for our installed base of active devices," said Luca Maestri, Apple's chief financial offier. "Our strong operating performance generated over $28 billion in operating cash flow, and allowed us to return nearly $27 billion to our shareholders during the quarter."

Apple's board of directors declared a cash dividend of $0.23 per share, an increase of 5%. The dividend will be payable to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 9, 2022. Apple also authorized another $90 billion in share repurchases.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,067member
    That's one metric fuckton of money.
    hummerchineradarthekattobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    A hundred bucks huh? I mean it’s better than my company…
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Thank you Apple!
    lavanderfieldslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    cornchip said:
    A hundred bucks huh? I mean it’s better than my company…
    That’s how I read the tweet as well… Came here to see if the article title on the site had the Billion in it, but nope. Pretty funny! 

But in reality, Apple: Wow!!! Big numbers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Welp, I guess we should start the death spiral clock, eh? Can’t wait to be told this is actually bad news by the usual crowd here, and why can’t Apple pay its retail workers $100K per week. You know, the usual backhanded slap-in-the-face kind of bullshit. /s
    edited April 2022 scstrrfjony0radarthekatdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    Welp, I guess we should start the death spiral clock, eh? Can’t wait to be told this is actually bad news by the usual crowd here, and why can’t Apple pay its retail workers $100K per week. You know, the usual backhanded slap-in-the-face kind of bullshit. /s
    Apple can’t pay their employees! They have to save their money to defend themselves from the EU!

This is great they made so much. I’m curious how much of this is profit. Im happy to see the mac doing so well!

I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt them to go up a bit on the pay.
    edited April 2022 baconstanglkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 32
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,255member
    How dare they take in profits and give me a 5% raise in dividends. /s
    scstrrfdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    lkrupp said:
    It's all great news, but the gross margin was obscene. Why not take the cash used to hire vulture lawyers to lie to employees about unionization, welcome unions, and negotiate some of that pile o' cash in wage and benefit improvements? If Apple can afford sizable wads of stock options for critical personnel in their engineering and design groups, why not a few $K a year for the folks who actually sell the stuff?
    scstrrfbaconstangronnmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Meanwhile, in after-hours trading, the stock takes a complete nosedive. Go figure...
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Truly one of the best managed companies on the planet.  I remember the dark days in the 90s when it was far from certain if they'd make it.  Bravo!
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Meanwhile, in after-hours trading, the stock takes a complete nosedive. Go figure...
    Yep, the old Apple Slingshot, build it up 4.5% on the day of their earnings, scramble to be first to cash out your earnings before the stock plummets back down the whole 4% within the hour !
    Once it bottoms out, some might want to get back on but of course, as always … the trick is to guess the nadir correctly !
    edited April 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple can’t pay their employees! They have to save their money to defend themselves from the EU!

This is great they made so much. I’m curious how much of this is profit. Im happy to see the mac doing so well!

Profits were approx $25 Billion
    danox
  • Reply 13 of 32
    hexclock said:
    Then sell your shares and go buy something else.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    It's all great news, but the gross margin was obscene. Why not take the cash used to hire vulture lawyers to lie to employees about unionization, welcome unions, and negotiate some of that pile o' cash in wage and benefit improvements? If Apple can afford sizable wads of stock options for critical personnel in their engineering and design groups, why not a few $K a year for the folks who actually sell the stuff?
    The folks in the software engineering roles, by building and maintaining the online Apple store, sell more than the folks in the actual stores.  And the ones who build and maintain the App Store sell all the apps and subscriptions and in-app purchases, compared to none of that being sold in the physical stores.  Plus Apple Music and Apple TV+ and iCloud storage, etc.  None of that sold by the physical store employees.  So maybe Apple is paying the various employees equitably.  It takes a lot more talent, knowledge and skills to code than it does to great customers and direct them through a physical purchase.  
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:

Profits were approx $25 Billion

Only 4 billion of that would pay the salaries of all 66,000 thousand retail employees in the USA for one year (union salary that is) and same amount would have come close to raising the dividend to a symbolic .25 a share…..Great quarter no surprise.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    But but but but but but……………. /s
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    We’re really starting to see the impact on the bottom line from those aggressively priced polishing cloths.
    equality72521
  • Reply 18 of 32
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Tell me you don’t understand economics without telling me you don’t understand economics. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Tell me you don’t understand economics without telling me you don’t understand economics. 
    You can understand economics without subscribing to ruthless profit maximisation.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPlkrupp
  • Reply 20 of 32
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,255member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    hexclock said:
    Then sell your shares and go buy something else.
    Surely you are familiar with sarcasm? Perhaps I overestimated your sense of humor. 
    MplsPtobianDAalsethwatto_cobra