Apple considered edge-to-edge iPod nano display years before iPhone X

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple considered an all-screen iPad nano more than a decade before it launched an iPhone with an edge-to-edge display -- and years before even the first iPhone was released.

iPod nano mockups via Tony Fadell
iPod nano mockups via Tony Fadell

Tony Fadell, the former senior vice president of Apple's iPod division, posted an image of several different iPod mockups to this Twitter on Monday. Fadell shared the images ahead of the launch of his new book, "Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making."

According to the former Apple SVP, the mockups were 3D printed dummies that allowed staff to have "something to hold in your hand."

These are various mockups of the iPod Nano, we explored every possibility - what if the screen was this big? What if the wheel was that big? What if there was no wheel? #BUILD #BUILDtreasurechest #Buildbook will be officially released tmrw May 3rd! https://t.co/NKMxGjoEgg pic.twitter.com/XMUHztyj2E

— Tony Fadell (@tfadell)

"Creating a model is a way to trick your brain, to jumpstart your imagination - once you make it physical, once you see & feel it, you can start to picture how it will become part of your life or your customers' lives," he wrote.

The team behind the iPod nano explored virtually every possibility, Fadell added -- "what if the screen was this big? What if the wheel was that big? What if there was no wheel?"

Apple released the first iPod nano in 2005, three years before the first iPhone and 13 years before the edge-to-edge iPhone X. Although it never released an edge-to-edge display model of its popular music player, Fadell's images show that it at least considered the possibility.

Fadell said his book contains an entire chapter about the design of the iPod nano. The book goes on sale on May 3.

Read on AppleInsider
mobirdBeats

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I know it’s 2022 but I’ve wanted an all screen square Nano for some time. With iOSlite and it’s own App Store, I think it would be a crazy little gaming device and super popular amongst kids as a holiday hit.

Some fun ideas I have written in my notes:

iPod Nano

A14 chip

2.5x2.5 square screen

FaceID in bezel

iPodOS (mini versions of games and apps)

8MP outer camera for ARKit

MagSafe charging, no lightning port

MagSafe accessories

Taptic Engine

64GB $199

128GB $299

Would be a hit for kids at Christmas time and could launch a new era of mobile gaming.

• Reply 2 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    I know it’s 2022 but I’ve wanted an all screen square Nano for some time. With iOSlite and it’s own App Store, I think it would be a crazy little gaming device and super popular amongst kids as a holiday hit.

iPod Nano

A14 chip

2.5x2.5 square screen

FaceID in bezel

MagSafe accessories

Taptic Engine

64GB $199

128GB $299

Would be a hit for kids at Christmas time and could launch a new era of mobile gaming.

I’d buy that. 
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Japhey said:
    Beats said:

iPod Nano

A14 chip

2.5x2.5 square screen

FaceID in bezel

MagSafe accessories

Taptic Engine

64GB $199

128GB $299

I’d buy that. 

Here’s a cheap drawing. Imagine the cameras hidden and rounded corners like a smooth iPhone 6. 

The iPhone 7 is actual size. The 3.0” square is too big so I crossed it out. 
    edited May 2022 Japheyspiced
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    Japhey said:
    Beats said:

iPod Nano

A14 chip

2.5x2.5 square screen

FaceID in bezel

MagSafe accessories

Taptic Engine

64GB $199

128GB $299

I’d buy that. 

Here’s a cheap drawing. Imagine the cameras hidden and rounded corners like a smooth iPhone 6. 

The iPhone 7 is actual size. The 3.0” square is too big so I crossed it out. 
    All it needs is Bluetooth 5.2 and WiFi 6 so that it can download music faster that my Watch. Then I could take it running with me and leave my iPhone at home. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Call me crazy, but I find the iPad mini 6 to be less comfortable to use than my older iPad mini with its wider bezels. Maybe it’s the added weight coupled with the sharper edges, but the “zero bezel” design of handheld products with screens isn’t necessarily the panacea that most people assume it will be. Your hands will tell you everything you need to know.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kurai_kagekurai_kage Posts: 104member
    iPod nano had a very different OS, one appropriate for the battery size.  We're pretty used to the iOS experience, and if Apple released another RTXC product I think customers would be disappointed.  To release a device with a more modern OS, they would need a truly next gen battery.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 121member
    Let’s hope the book’s editor catches those comma splices.
    watto_cobra