AT&T plans first price hike in years for older single-line, family plans

Posted:
in General Discussion
AT&T is set to raise prices on some of its older mobile service plans to combat rising inflation, squeeze more revenue from existing customers, and encourage subscribers to switch to unlimited plans.

AT&T logo on a building
AT&T logo on a building

It will be the first increase on the affected plans in three years, Bloomberg has reported. The monthly fees will rise by up to $6 a month for single-line customers and up to $12 a month for those on family plans.

According to AT&T, customers will be able to avoid the price hikes by switching to new unlimited plans.

"We are encouraging our customers to explore our newer plans which offer many additional features, more flexibility for each line on their account and, in many cases, a lower monthly cost," the carrier said Tuesday in an emailed response to questions.

The price hike will mark a reversal for near-term trends in the telecom industry. For the last few years, the companies have been offering discounts, free devices, and other promotions in an effort to compete for customers.

While carriers saw record low churn rates during the pandemic, there's a chance that AT&T's plan could backfire and cause existing subscribers to defect to competitors like T-Mobile and Verizon. It's not clear how many consumers are on the older plans at present.

According to a Recon Analytics mobile customer survey seen by Bloomberg, the rate of customer defections because of the hikes could rise to as much as 1.25% a month, up from 1%. Verizon could be the biggest beneficiary.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    My legacy 30GB / mo w rollover plan is still gold.

Data shared between 5 family members (in 3 households) 2 of the 3 are VERY low data users and unlimited packages would simply be a waste. 5 iPhones and 2 iPads on the package.

I check every couple mos to see if their new plans offer any $$$ benefit - nope.  Over $30 per month more usually.   Even if I fall into the $12 price increase it’s still solid $$ to the good.  

Every once in a while they have a legacy package that is just to good to let go of.  This one has been in that sweet spot for over 5 yrs now.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 2 of 14
    MustSeeUHDTVMustSeeUHDTV Posts: 304member
  • Reply 3 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Not related to this article, but this is seems to be an interesting story that AI still hasn't posed about.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/05/02/researchers-find-flaw-in-apple-silicon-chips-but-its-not-that-bad
    MustSeeUHDTV
  • Reply 4 of 14
    MustSeeUHDTVMustSeeUHDTV Posts: 304member
    Thanks! Odd, still don't see it on the news section, but can access the article from your link so it has to be out there. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    If it's not related, why are you posting it here in a thread about AT&T?  
    edited May 2022 fred1
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Thanks! Odd, still don't see it on the news section, but can access the article from your link so it has to be out there. 
    Yeah it was on the main list of front-page story items. Still was earlier today.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Mint Mobile, ftw. Flat-fee plans starting at $15/mo, no additional charges, no hidden BS, dumb pipes carrier the way they ought to be. My family switched and will never return to AT&T.
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Many countries are offering unlimited plans for the price of AT&T flat-fee plan. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Mint Mobile, ftw. Flat-fee plans starting at $15/mo, no additional charges, no hidden BS, dumb pipes carrier the way they ought to be. My family switched and will never return to AT&T.
    You are still probably using AT&T’s infrastructure. These fly-by-night mobile companies don’t own their own networks, towers, don’t maintain anything, employ no technicians. They piggy back on AT&T, Verizon, and others who are forced to charge them less-than-wholesale for riding their networks. It’s fake competition at its finest.

Hey, it’s cheaper but don't think you left AT&T. And can Mint Mobile add your Apple Watch to your cellular plan? Nope.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    lkrupp said:
    You are still probably using AT&T’s infrastructure. These fly-by-night mobile companies don’t own their own networks, towers, don’t maintain anything, employ no technicians. They piggy back on AT&T, Verizon, and others who are forced to charge them less-than-wholesale for riding their networks. It’s fake competition at its finest.

Hey, it’s cheaper but don't think you left AT&T.
    Nope. Mint Mobile is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile USA's network not AT&T's. So technically StrangeDays did leave AT&T.

Mint Mobile can afford to charge less because they eliminate a lot of benefits (visual voicemail, international roaming, wifi hotspots, etc.) that postpaid T-Mobile subscribers get. There's also no overhead like a bricks-and-mortar store network. From a cellular service perspective it's not much different than T-Mobile's old PAYG prepaid service.

T-Mobile's own prepaid service had some marketing offers: at one point they offered a one-year subscription to MLB At Bat ($20 value) to T-Mobile subscribers. So when you're paying for the premium name-branded T-Mobile service, you're also funding some of those costs.

There are other MVNOs using AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile/Sprint's networks. Some are better known than others: Metro, Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, Xfinity, Tracfone are a few.

Some of these companies aren't "fly-by-night" operations. Both Straight Talk and Tracfone are subsidiaries of Telmex and America Movil, properties of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim (world rank #16 by Bloomberg). 

In the old days, many of these MVNOs didn't have access to the latest cellular networks. Today that has changed and Mint Mobile customers have 5G service where it has been deployed. Also in the old days, there were none or few family plans from prepaid MVNOs so two lines were twice the price as one line.
    lkrupp said:
    And can Mint Mobile add your Apple Watch to the mix?
    No, smartwatches are not currently supported by Mint Mobile.
    edited May 2022 applguy
  • Reply 11 of 14
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:

Hey, it’s cheaper but don't think you left AT&T. And can Mint Mobile add your Apple Watch to the mix?
    Nope. Mint Mobile is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile USA's network not AT&T's.

Mint Mobile can afford to charge less because they eliminate a lot of benefits (visual voicemail, international roaming, wifi hotspots, etc.) that postpaid T-Mobile subscribers get. There's also no overhead like a bricks-and-mortar store network. From a cellular service perspective it's not much different than T-Mobile's old PAYG prepaid service.

There are other MVNOs using AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile/Sprint's networks. Some are better known than others: Metro, Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, Xfinity, Tracfone are a few.

Some of these companies aren't "fly-by-night" operations. Both Straight Talk and Tracfone are subsidiaries of Telmex and America Movil, properties of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim (world rank #16 by Bloomberg). 

In the old days, many of these MVNOs didn't have access to the latest cellular networks. Today that has changed and Mint Mobile customers have 5G service where it has been deployed.
    Except that Verizon now owns Tracfone, StraightTalk and most of the other large MVNOs.  ed typo
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Dogperson said:
    Except that Verizon now owns Tracfone, StraightTalk and most of the other large MVNOs.  ed typo
    Ah, I see that was a recent acquisition (late 2021). My MVNO history stopped a few years ago.  :D

Most of the MVNO brands are actually owned by the Big Three carriers themselves and have been for years. Tracfone/Straight Talk was the main outlier until just recently.

The most important takeaway is the fact that there are alternative plans to the standard postpaid offerings from the Big Three. Some of these MVNOs or prepaid brands are valid alternatives if the usage case works out.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lkrupp said:

Hey, it’s cheaper but don't think you left AT&T. And can Mint Mobile add your Apple Watch to your cellular plan? Nope.
    Mint is a sub carrier on T-Mobile, not AT&T. 

And it’s owned by Ryan Reynolds - talk to me about “fly-by-night” companies. 

I have never added any of my Apple Watches to AT&T, because paying $10/mo to do so seems stupid (watches still get to use 911 services despite not signing them up. Dunno if that’s the case still or not).

And FYI, AT&T wouldn’t let me use the 5G of my later iPhones because they wanted me to upgrade my plan, which I didn’t want to do. No such BS with Mint.

Anyway, it doesn’t sound like you have any idea what you’re talking about on this topic. Feel free to keep flushing your money down the toilet tho.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:

Hey, it’s cheaper but don't think you left AT&T.
    Nope. Mint Mobile is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile USA's network not AT&T's. So technically StrangeDays did leave AT&T.

Mint Mobile can afford to charge less because they eliminate a lot of benefits (visual voicemail, international roaming, wifi hotspots, etc.)

There’s no “technically” about it - I 100% left AT&T. He simply doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

That is incorrect on Mint - it has visual voicemail of course, as well as wifi hotspot at $0 added cost. They are cheaper because they don’t waste a bunch of money on a bunch of BS. They offer a simple service and don’t try to upsell me on cable network packages, landlines, or any other crap. They’re just a cellphone service and keep it as simple as possible. You also pay for the year in advance to get the best price.
    edited May 2022