Faster, redesigned 1Password 8 for Mac launches with catalogs, improved autofill

Posted:
in Mac Software
Password manager app 1Password has been updated to version 8 for the Mac, bringing a refreshed design intended to speed up use by quicker access to wanted passwords.

The 1Password company's announcement in August 2021 that it would be overhauling its app, became controversial. It was effectively abandoning the original 1Password Mac app, and instead making an iOS one that would run on macOS as an Electron app.

Now that 1Password 8 for Mac has officially been launched -- it is presently rolling out to users -- the company does not mention its Electron base. Instead, it concentrates on how it brings consistency across all platforms it supports.

"1Password for Mac has come a long way since its first iteration in 2006," said Dave Teare, co-founder of 1Password in a statement, "and with each release, we've pushed the envelope of the user experience our customers have come to expect from us."

"I'm eager for our customers to engage firsthand with all of the new and enhanced features that 1Password 8 for Mac delivers;" he continued, "my hope is that they'll love it as much as we loved creating it."

"1Password is creating the future of human-centric security by designing closer to the user," said Matt Davey, Chief Experience Officer at 1Password in the same statement, "making it an easy choice to be secure."

"1Password 8 for Mac provides a consistent and powerful user experience from any device across desktop, including in your browser," continued Davey. "We are aiming to make staying safe online feel seamless, intuitive and believe it or not -- enjoyable."

Called Knox, the new 1Password design language "improves clarity, accessibility and consistency." That consistency includes a new icon on the lock screen, which resembles an iOS toggle.

Icons within the app have been revamped, with the aim of "making it easier to identify items at a glance." Items in 1Password can range from regular logins to credit card details and more, and the new version adds an Item Catalog to help with adding different types of passwords.

The new 1Password 8 for Mac includes more guided help
The new 1Password 8 for Mac includes more guided help

"[It provides] guided experiences to help users easily search for, view the most popular item types (passwords, credit cards, documents, etc.), create and categorize new items," says the company.

The makers stress that the new 1Password 8 for Mac will "feel right at home on your Mac," as it incorporates macOS-inspired design touches, plus light and dark modes.

The new 1Password 8 for Mac is a subscription app, which starts from $35.88 per year. There's a free 14-day trial, and the subscription also gets users 1Password for iOS, Windows, Android, Linux, and Chrome OS.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    I love 1Password, but the near-abandonment of local vaults and, to a lesser extent, the subscription model blows.  But they've actively countered a large amount of feedback to that effect, so no point barking up that tree at this point...

So will v8 also have a version you can straight-up buy?  v7 did, but it was super hard to get to - the website steers you hard into the subscription.  What about local and/or Dropbox-synced vaults?

MplsP
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dbendixendbendixen Posts: 27member
    I dumped 1Password a year ago in favor of the free, built-in password manager in mac/iOS and haven’t looked back since. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    No thanks. With a local vault and not being a fan of subscriptions I’ll stick at 7 for the foreseeable.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 125member
    With the latest Chromium CVEs, this does not seem like a smart move
  • Reply 5 of 10
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    dbendixen said:
    I dumped 1Password a year ago in favor of the free, built-in password manager in mac/iOS and haven’t looked back since. 
    Would love it if AI would do a piece on how to convert from 1Password to built-in. Is it possible to share passwords between family members the way we use Family Share for other Apple related things? Or is built in one limited to one Apple ID?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 241member
    I refuse to pay a perpetual subscription for software. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    I am a very early adopter of 1Password, and bought each version until version 6, and recommended it all around me, but I feel the obligation to use their cloud is a complete betrayal !

Many people complain about the subscription model, but for me it’s not that, I don’t mind paying a subscription for good software, developers need to earn a living.  Any software needs maintenance which is hard work, to be compensated for…
    BUT the inability too use iCloud synching, or local vaults, i.e., removing existing important features, crucial features… this is totally unacceptable! 
    Now I can no longer upgrade 1Password. I invested myself in it and I really feel betrayed. 

I am not going to send my most private information to any private company… (except Apple). 

So I’m hanging on to version 6 for now, but looking to move away from 1Password as soon as I find the time to study alternatives. 

Shame on you, Agilebits !!!
    edited May 2022 jony0
  • Reply 8 of 10
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    dbendixen said:
    Would love it if AI would do a piece on how to convert from 1Password to built-in. Is it possible to share passwords between family members the way we use Family Share for other Apple related things? Or is built in one limited to one Apple ID?
    Problem is… it’s not just passwords, it’s also secured free form notes, it’s password history, it’s free form comments on everything, etc… the Apple  keychain is too limited! I just cannot migrate everything I have in 1Password to Apple keychain, it won’t fit !

Also, the ability to access the keychain just with the Mac session password, for instance, is troubling for me, not secure enough, because I don’t want the Mac password to be complicated (I feel this is OK because physical access to the machine is also necessary to get into it, except for password database). 
    If some elements of keychain could be made to require an extra protection with a complex password, I would feel much better with Apple keychain. 

I make a strong distinction between the “casual” passwords, and the important ones for strictly confidential information. 
    edited May 2022 MplsP
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    dbendixen said:
    The problem is the UI of Apple's Keychain App sucks on the Mac and it's worse on iOS. It's also not cross platform compatible.

I also haven't found any way to export or move passwords either to or from Keychain. I remember reading a post some time ago (I think it was in regards to 1password) that said the file format and security made it impossible.

With the last version of 1Password I actively looked at switching to another program. Quite honestly, they've all gotten pretty crappy and 1P was still the best. Most also didn't migrate well from 1Password so I would have spent a large amount of effort moving passwords over and manually cleaning up the password vault just to get something that wasn't really any better. 

I completely agree with what others have written - I'd love the ability to have either a local vault or just an iCloud vault.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    JustSomeGuy1JustSomeGuy1 Posts: 316member
    evolut said:
    Also, the ability to access the keychain just with the Mac session password, for instance, is troubling for me, not secure enough, because I don’t want the Mac password to be complicated (I feel this is OK because physical access to the machine is also necessary to get into it, except for password database). 
    If some elements of keychain could be made to require an extra protection with a complex password, I would feel much better with Apple keychain.
    This is easy. Just make a new keychain (in the Keychain Access app), and put the important keys in there. That keychain won't be opened when you log in, by default, but you can easily open it.

Of course, Apple Keychains are utterly inadequate for a zillion other reasons.