Elon Musk says Apple's 30% commission rate is 'definitely not ok'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    landcruiserlandcruiser Posts: 218member
    Who cares what a rich hypocrite thinks. He overcharges for his products. Just look at all his price increases and record profits. How is this any different. Like I said just a rich hypocrite. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 65
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Says the guy that charges for software thousands of dollars for software to operate the car you own.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 65
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    cpsro said:
    Elon Musk is definitely not ok.
    He's always been a bit of a loud-mouth egotist but he's gone off the deep-end since the divorce.
    12StrangersAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 65
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    Who cares what a rich hypocrite thinks. He overcharges for his products. Just look at all his price increases and record profits. How is this any different. Like I said just a rich hypocrite. 
    Are you describing Elon Musk or Apple??? Confused...
    MplsPkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Musk is simply deathly afraid of an Apple car. 
    darelrexAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    slurpy said:
    Why the fuck does this guy need to give his opinion on literally everything that doesn’t concern him? Who gives a fuck about what he thinks about Apple’s commission, which by the way is the same as Google’s, Microsoft’s, Sony, Nintendo, FB, etc etc. Jesus. By singling our Apple you’re basically lying by omission, cause you know it will bring you deadlines. 
    just like everyone else on the internet?
    sbdudeAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 65
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 256member
    It's up for debate whether apple needs to continue charging 30% commission on apps when 15% seems to work just fine, and the app store infrastructure has more than been paid for (and continues to be). What I find severely cheeky is the fact that Musk can say Tesla isn't a 'walled garden like apple' when there's no carplay, no android auto, no siriusxm, and no brand-name stereos in any Tesla. Sounds pretty walled-off to me.
    AppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 65
    bvgkbvgk Posts: 16member
    this discussion will continue until Appstore is independent off Apple ( may be multiple independent app stores at that )

Musk is afraid that Twitter may go Parler way soon  ..... that is Google and Apple kick off twitter from App stores at the same time in future on some pretext over his tweet!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 65
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Is Elon about to announce that he's running for congress? 
    His words sound like those of a politician - lots of drivel.

Either that or not content with about to **** twitter he wants to do the same to Apple.
    And to think that I almost bought a Model S in 2018. Now... I will never ever buy anything made by a company that he controls.

I have been thinking, ever since he started trying to by TWITter, that he is going to run for President in 2024.
    He doesn't meeting the legal requirements. To run for POTUS you have to be naturally born citizen, his mother is Canadian and if father is South African and he was born in South Africa. 
    You are correct, but be aware that the constitution doesn't explain what "natural born citizen" means. For example, how many of your parents need to be American? And if you are born to American parents overseas, is that a problem? (e.g., John McCain.) And if you have dual citizenship, is that a problem? (eg, James Buchanan.) And if Canada became part of the US, would Canadians qualify to become President? And, can a non-US citizen become the Vice President?

US Constitution:
    No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President

More interestingly, who would enforce the rule and when would it be enforced? Does the constitution prevent people who aren't naturally born citizens from running for president, (or even running to become leader of a political party) or just from becoming president? Would it be Congress or the US Supreme Court who would try to stop it? And would the attempt to stop it happen before Election Day, after Election Day, before Congress tallied the electoral college votes, after Congress tallied the electoral college votes, before the inauguration, or after the inauguration? I really don't know. The Supreme Court tends to avoid making judicial rulings on such political things, and usually wants Congress to resolve them. Congress does not usually act swiftly.

I think someone should write a book which tells a story of how a non-qualified person runs to become US President, and makes it all the way up to the inauguration platform, and then someone steps in to stop it. The Secret Service? The Military? The Supreme Court justices? All of the above? Perhaps then the Vice President elect would be sworn in, on the spot. But what if the VP didn't meet the requirements either?
  • Reply 50 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    sbdude said:
    It's up for debate whether apple needs to continue charging 30% commission on apps when 15% seems to work just fine, and the app store infrastructure has more than been paid for (and continues to be). What I find severely cheeky is the fact that Musk can say Tesla isn't a 'walled garden like apple' when there's no carplay, no android auto, no siriusxm, and no brand-name stereos in any Tesla. Sounds pretty walled-off to me.
    Tesla does have XM radio, and many cars do not allow for 3rd party stereos these days, but you're right about it being a walled garden. Actually, the walls are higher and thicker than Apple's - Tesla does not allow any 3rd party apps at all. No Car Play or Android Auto and the only apps you can use are the ones that Tesla itself provides. Of course, they also don't charge for the apps but I'd be willing to bet there's some sort of arrangement between Tesla and the services that are supported (Spotify, Tidal, etc)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 65
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    But Musk charging $10,000 for a non-functioning FSD (Full Self Driving) mode that he's been promising for over 5 years saying repeatedly it's coming "soon" being a complete scam is OK. Besides being a petulant child who takes swipes at anyone who is a threat to him, he is a mendacious danger.
    ‘Mendacious’ We’ll, looks like somebody is well prepared for their SATs!! 😆
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 65

Either that or not content with about to **** twitter he wants to do the same to Apple.
    And to think that I almost bought a Model S in 2018. Now... I will never ever buy anything made by a company that he controls.

I have been thinking, ever since he started trying to by TWITter, that he is going to run for President in 2024.
    He doesn't meeting the legal requirements. To run for POTUS you have to be naturally born citizen, his mother is Canadian and if father is South African and he was born in South Africa. 
    You are correct, but be aware that the constitution doesn't explain what "natural born citizen" means. For example, how many of your parents need to be American? And if you are born to American parents overseas, is that a problem? (e.g., John McCain.) And if you have dual citizenship, is that a problem? (eg, James Buchanan.) And if Canada became part of the US, would Canadians qualify to become President? And, can a non-US citizen become the Vice President?

US Constitution:
    No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President

More interestingly, who would enforce the rule and when would it be enforced? Does the constitution prevent people who aren't naturally born citizens from running for president, (or even running to become leader of a political party) or just from becoming president? Would it be Congress or the US Supreme Court who would try to stop it? And would the attempt to stop it happen before Election Day, after Election Day, before Congress tallied the electoral college votes, after Congress tallied the electoral college votes, before the inauguration, or after the inauguration? I really don't know. The Supreme Court tends to avoid making judicial rulings on such political things, and usually wants Congress to resolve them. Congress does not usually act swiftly.

I think someone should write a book which tells a story of how a non-qualified person runs to become US President, and makes it all the way up to the inauguration platform, and then someone steps in to stop it. The Secret Service? The Military? The Supreme Court justices? All of the above? Perhaps then the Vice President elect would be sworn in, on the spot. But what if the VP didn't meet the requirements either?
    I am aware the U.S. Constitution doesn't explain what a natural born citizen is. Section 8 enumerates the the powers of the legislature and one of those powers is to establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization. Our legislature had done this and defined a natural born citizen as someone born on U.S. soil and defines, depending on year of birth, the requirements for someone to be a considered a U.S. citizen. 

Elon Musk was born in 1971 so he would need to have at least one parent that was born was a U.S. citizen and also lived in the U.S for at least 10 years. Neither of these apply. He isn't a natural born citizen. 

John McCain was born in 1936, for him to have been considered a natural born citizen he had to have a parent that was a U.S. citizen and lived in the U.S for 10 years with five of them being after they turn 14. Both of John McCain's parents meet those requirements. 

Based on the definition at the Bureau of Consular Affairs a dual citizen would be a natural born citizen if their U.S citizenship was established at birth vs. their citizenship coming via naturalization. Several have given it whirl with Ted Cruz being the most recent. In his case he renounced his Canadian citizenship while running. That sad this one would probably get some sort of legal challenge. I think challenge would be more about them retaining their citizenship from another country vs. if they were a U.S. citizen. 

Can a non-US Citizen be VP? No, the U.S Constitution has the same requirement for both POTUS and VPOUTS. The requirement is in Article II Clause 5. 

"More interestingly, who would enforce the rule and when would it be enforced?"
    There are several steps where this is enforced or could be enforced. To get on a ballot you have to prove you are eligible for whatever position you are running for. So the first level of enforcement would be by the sates and it would be done when a person applies to be a candidate in that state. Should someone that doesn't qualify get on the ballot the judiciary would decide if the person is legally qualified and the executive branch is tasked with enforcement. If someone who wasn't qualified managed to get on enough state ballots to win the electoral college and somehow won the federal judiciary would hear any challenges and the executive branch would be responsible for enforcement. 

"Does the constitution prevent people who aren't naturally born citizens from running for president"
    This really depends on what you mean by "running for president". Anyone can say they are running for president at any time. No one is going to bother challenging that. A person who isn't a natural born citizen would be prevented from ever being put on a ballot. 

".....
    or even running to become leader of a political party"
    How political parties are run isn't covered by the constitution. They are considered private entities, and can do whatever they want within the context of the law. 

"Would it be Congress or the US Supreme Court who would try to stop it? And would the attempt to stop it happen before Election Day, after Election Day, before Congress tallied the electoral college votes, after Congress tallied the electoral college votes, before the inauguration, or after the inauguration?"

I feel like I answered this one above. 

"The Supreme Court tends to avoid making judicial rulings on such political things, and usually wants Congress to resolve them. Congress does not usually act swiftly."

Not really, people's eligibility to run for office is challenged regularly (there are several that have happened this year). Elections are run at the state level and so these issues are generally adjudicated at the state level and wouldn't ever end up in the SCOTUS. The two elections I can remember going to the SCOTUS were 2000 and 2020. In neither instance was it referred to congress to remedy. In the case of 2000 they ruled in favor of the Florida and in 2020 they declined to hear any challenges and let the lower courts ruling stand. 

I don't know why but people tend to think the whole citizenship requirement isn't clear, it is. Or they think that there is no mechanism to handle challenges, there are. 

As for you book idea, it would be a work of fiction and would really require the suspension of disbelief. I almost feel like the Simpsons covered it with the whole Kang and Kodos thing, that is really the level of absurdity it would take to get there. 

edited May 2022 tht
  • Reply 53 of 65
    tht said:
    You have to hand it to him. He is good at getting people to give him money. They are many Tesla vehicle buyers that paid $5000 to $8000 for Full Self Driving, a feature that has not be available since its inception in 2017. It’s essentially an in-app purchase today or an upgrade option at time of purchase. 

It’s crazy, these buyers were expecting FSD to come to their cars any day now, for up to 5 years. That’s $5000 to $8000 for nothing. Don’t understand why there hasn’t been a shit storm over it yet. 
    FSD is a $200 per month Subscription now. For a Software Only Feature!

Yet, Apple is being greedy...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 65
    bobroo said:
    I hope Musk teams with Berkshire Hathaway and they buy out Apple.
    They couldn't do that, even if they teamed with Bill Gates and the Sultan of Brunai.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 65

You’re right, of course. My apologies for my uninformed post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 65
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Musk is an ass but he's right on this one. 

Apple charges a heavy commission and then had the audacity to implement ads in the App Store.  "Just dig down a bit deeper if you want to get to the front of the line. Never mind that we acquired Chomp to make finding good apps easier in the store" 

Apple is a business that needs to make profits so what they give with the right hand they must take a bit back with the left. 

Aren't all of the ads in the App Store simply for apps in the App Store? I just browsed the store and don't see a single 3rd-party ad.

Surfacing relevant ads should be exactly what the store is all about, and that needs to be based on analysis of the user browsing the store. This is the same type of tech used by online advertising, which makes sense. I fail to see the issue with this.

I'm amazed at the dislike of Musk in this thread. The guy is changing the world, so I thought he'd have a loyal following in the same likes as Steve Jobs did. But yes, he can be an ass, and ignorant. I think he's wrong on this topic. The 30% commission is standard retail practice and not a tax.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 65
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,843member

US Constitution:

Stop being a Cultist, and the current Supreme has no problems with being political…..
  • Reply 58 of 65
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    I'm amazed at the dislike of Musk in this thread. The guy is changing the world, so I thought he'd have a loyal following in the same likes as Steve Jobs did. But yes, he can be an ass, and ignorant. I think he's wrong on this topic. The 30% commission is standard retail practice and not a tax.
    This is an Apple fan forum. It's pretty hard to like a person who insults Apple and Tim Cook at a pretty regular pace. He's knows how to squeeze suppliers and partners just as much as anyone else. He knows exactly the margins he wants to live with, and he really doesn't give a care to developers in the App Store. No, it was in all probability a nice meaty fastball insult to Apple for him to hit, and he doesn't really pass up opportunities to not swing.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 65
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    He's an asshole, but he's not wrong about this.  30% is highway robbery.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    tht said:
    You have to hand it to him. He is good at getting people to give him money. They are many Tesla vehicle buyers that paid $5000 to $8000 for Full Self Driving, a feature that has not be available since its inception in 2017. It’s essentially an in-app purchase today or an upgrade option at time of purchase. 

It’s crazy, these buyers were expecting FSD to come to their cars any day now, for up to 5 years. That’s $5000 to $8000 for nothing. Don’t understand why there hasn’t been a shit storm over it yet. 
    FSD is a $200 per month Subscription now. For a Software Only Feature!

Yet, Apple is being greedy...

Yes.  Just because Musk is a greedy asshole doesn't mean that Cook is not ALSO a greedy asshole.