Giga Designs Upgrade card?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

Can I get anyone with a Giga Designs G4/800 processor upgrade card(with the L3 cache) give me a short summary of their results? Just OS-, apps-, compatibility-wise as I'm not a gamer. I'm thinking of upgrading my G4/400(Sawtooth).

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have no idea myself, but a good idea would be to check out the "Rate Your CPU Upgrade Database" at www.xlr8yourmac.com .
  • Reply 2 of 5
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I have no idea myself, but a good idea would be to check out the "Rate Your CPU Upgrade Database" at www.xlr8yourmac.com .

Thanks, Luca. I did look at that and one other, and on 'paper', it looks great, but I'd like to get some real personal experiences.

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I don't have one but I have been personally considering this upgrade. Most people seem to easily overclock it to 900 mhz. My current machine is a 450 so that would pretty much double my performance.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

I don't have one but I have been personally considering this upgrade. Most people seem to easily overclock it to 900 mhz. My current machine is a 450 so that would pretty much double my performance.

If only it worked that way. There are so many factors that tie into overall performance. Doubling clock speed won't double performance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

If only it worked that way. There are so many factors that tie into overall performance. Doubling clock speed won't double performance.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking, folks-don't want to tempt fate. As long as it installs OK and performs almost as advertised.

Steve