Jony Ive to guest edit special issue of Financial Times 'How to Spend It' magazine

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Former Apple design chief Jony Ive is set to be the guest editor for an upcoming issue of the "How to Spend It" magazine, a luxury lifestyle publication put out by the Financial Times.

Jony Ive
Jony Ive

The issue, which is slated for publication on Saturday, May 7, will see Ive select content and contributors to showcase the chosen theme of "making and creating."

"Long an obsession of mine, it has always struck me that the process of creating and making finds expression in so many different forms. This is a rather personal issue of 'How To Spend It,' and I have gathered together many of the people, objects and places that I love," Ive said.

Contributors will include famous cellist Yo-Yo Ma, singer-songwriter Lily Allen, and award-winning trombonist and trumpeter Trombone Shorty.

The magazine is also set to include a special feature about Ive and longtime collaborator Marc Newson. Its cover shot will be of Ive and his father Michael.

Ive worked for decades at Apple and was responsible for leading design work on some of the company's most iconic products, including the iPhone, iMac, and more. He left Apple in 2019 -- reportedly because of frustration and culture changes at the Cupertino tech giant -- to work on his own design projects.

Read on AppleInsider
9secondkox2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I suppose that issue of the magazine will be a bit too thin.
    cornchipsbdudebyronlBombdoe9secondkox2ravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 9
    DoodpantsDoodpants Posts: 49member
    The font used in the articles will be very thin and hard to read; "ugly clutter" will be removed, such as the table of contents and page numbers; and the cover will be made from a single sheet of aluminiumininium.
    byronllkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    williamh said:
    I suppose that issue of the magazine will be a bit too thin.
    Only one article.
    byronl
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    No centerfold, as it will lack any expansion capabilities.
    byronl9secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    The publisher will print 5x to 10x the normal number of copies to boost circulation numbers and thus bump up advertising rates.

Most copies will be distributed free in places where the rich congregate: business class airport lounges/private air terminals, 5-star hotels, club-level suites at major sports venues, AMEX Platinum cardholders, waiting rooms at BMW and Mercedes-Benz dealerships, private clubs like Augusta National Golf Club or New York Athletic Club, high-end food & wine events like Aspen, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance auto show, certain luxury cruise lines (not Carnival or Disney Cruises), etc.

You won't find this magazine at the check-out line of your local Walmart.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 6 of 9
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    Doodpants said:
    The font used in the articles will be very thin and hard to read; "ugly clutter" will be removed, such as the table of contents and page numbers; and the cover will be made from a single sheet of aluminiumininium.
    If you can't read it, it's because you're holding it wrong. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    Ive Castle

Dogperson9secondkox2ravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 9
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Can't wait to see his take on a publication. His hardware designs transformed the computing industry much for the better. It took his radical vision to get iOS out of the old looking skeuomorphic designs and into the minimalist style - much more readable and efficient. the entire design world followed suit and design is better for it. Of course, there have been improvements since the first launch. It's always like that. He improved his iMac designs, Mac OS UI, iOS UI, etc.  over the years and did an incredible job.

The disrespect he gets here is ridiculous. If not for him, there may not even be an Apple today.
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 9
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    A brilliant, unparalleled industrial designer, but clearly grasping at straws here.