BMW temporarily ships cars without Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iOS
Buyers of new BMW vehicles may not be able to enjoy using CarPlay at first, with the global chip crisis forcing the car producer to change its electronics, but an update will re-enable support by June.

The global chip shortage is causing problems in many different areas, with the automotive industry one of the biggest victims of a limited supply of chips. In one of the effects of the shortage, a change in supplier for BMW has led to the company temporarily giving up on support for Apple's in-car platform.

The chips used by BMW for its infotainment system aren't fully compatible with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto at the moment, reports Automotive News Europe, but an update can enable support at a later time.

"The chips built into these cars in the first four months of this year need updated software in order to be fully functional and offer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and Wi-Fi capability," said BMW in a statement. An over-the-air update will be offered "by the end of June at the latest" to reenable support.

Not all BMW cars will be sold without CarPlay, with the company stating cars with "6P1" as part of their production code will be affected. Though BMW didn't say what markets would be impacted, the report adds customers in the U.S., U.K., France, Italy, and Spain have reported a lack of CarPlay in their purchases.

BMW first offered CarPlay as an upgrade to its vehicle systems in 2016, though in 2018 BMW intended to provide it as a subscription feature, a choice that the company backed down from the following year. BMW has also been an early adopter of Apple's newest technology, with it among the first to support Apple's CarKey.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    What? It’s software related so why does the hardware have anything to do with it? If they can update the software later to make AirPlay work they can do it now. 
    sandorravnorodomentropysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 121member
    I’ll be so glad when the Apple car comes out. Cars are a commodity, a dime a dozen. The important thing – the jewel inside — is the software. It will be so nice when Apple controls the whole product, and we no longer have to put up with the garbage software these auto makers force on us. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    rob53 said:
    What? It’s software related so why does the hardware have anything to do with it? If they can update the software later to make AirPlay work they can do it now. 
    100%

Why is the article mentioning a chip shortage when the solution BMW is proffering is an over-the-air software update "at some point in the future"?!?

BMW has an awful track record with 3rd party support & i am sure the only reason these vehicles are not shipping with it enabled is because BMW chose not to do it.
    edited May 2022 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

Why is the article mentioning a chip shortage when the solution BMW is proffering is an over-the-air software update "at some point in the future"?!?

BMW has an awful track record with 3rd party support & i am sure the only reason these vehicles are not shipping with it enabled is because BMW chose not to do it.
    What it said is "The chips used by BMW for its infotainment system aren't fully compatible with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto at the moment". So BMW used chip from a different company like Apple switching from Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon. And BMW software developer is not able to rewrite OS on time. 
    williamlondonhucom2000ravnorodommike1irwinmauricewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    BMW has been shipping cars without working turn signals for years, so this is no surprise. 
    williamlondonxbitalanhStrangeDaysgrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

What it said is "The chips used by BMW for its infotainment system aren't fully compatible with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto at the moment". So BMW used chip from a different company like Apple switching from Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon. And BMW software developer is not able to rewrite OS on time. 
    In other words a lame excuse by BMW. Quoting your quote, the chips aren’t compatible when they actually are. It’s application software that hasn’t been written, not the chips operating system. In other words, they need to quit blaming the chips and start blaming the programmers. On the other hand, who’s infotainment system are they using? I’d blame them since just about every car stereo manufacturer can handle CarPlay (but like normal, BMW can’t get anything to work).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    What the article doesn’t answer and everybody’s speculating about is whether it was bad management that led to this or the actual chip crisis that was unpredictable enough for this to be unavoidable. It will be interesting to see if other car manufactures announce similar things. That would give us a clue as to which version is true. Unless they’re all suffering from bad management… :D
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    itinj24itinj24 Posts: 51member
    BMW has gimped its cars of a few features in the past year or so. Stripping CarPlay is an absolute deal breaker and I’d never buy anything based on a future promise again (ahem Ring and HomeKit)

My wife just got a 2022 X5 about five months ago and it came with Apple CarKey. I fell in love with the feature so much that I started shopping a BMW myself. Turns out that all the cars I was interested in had that feature deleted on the spec sheet (5 Series), presumably because of the chip shortage. 

Another feature on BMWs that I remember I loved was soft close doors and it appears that’s also been removed from builds. My wife’s X5 didn’t even come with fog lights. Funny thing is, prices didn’t go down, they went up. 

These are a few of the top of my head but there’s more. 

I’ll wait…
    hackintoisierwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    How come the luxury cars only are dropping features cause of the chip shortage? Some don't even have blindspot detection and adaptive cruise control anymore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Moral of the story? Don't buy any more cars from these assholes. Ford is shipping F-150s without certain features enabled either. If you are in the market for a new car, don’t buy, sit back and wait. Let the manufacturers twist in the wind, suffer financial loss, maybe even go bankrupt. Don’t shed a tear. They don’t care about you, their customers, or they wouldn’t be trying to sell you non-functioning products. Let 'em eat dirt.
    entropys
  • Reply 11 of 23
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    mr lizard said:
    BMW has been shipping cars without working turn signals for years, so this is no surprise. 
    No wonder when I turn right, the left turn signal blinks
  • Reply 12 of 23
    spaceagespaceage Posts: 21member
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

You don’t know what you’re talking about. BMW was the first manufacturer to support CarPlay over Bluetooth, and now the first to support CarKey. It’s also perfectly believable that they had to switch to different silicon for portions of their audio and console modules given the overall industry situation, and as such need extra time to develop and qualify their code for that change. They obviously “chose” to do this because they aren’t going to stop shipping vehicles entirely because of one software feature like this being delayed. Many other manufacturers are having to make similarly difficult choices right now, including Ford, GM, and others.
    muthuk_vanalingammike1irwinmauricecommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    +1 for Spaceage above. Chip shortages are real, the software to ensure this chip fully and properly supports CarPlay is obviously real, and there are chip shortages for other parts, too. 

The company will have an update soon, and CarPlay will be restored. CarPlay is wonderful, and much better than the built in systems cars normally ship with. 

Even Android Auto is better than a car’s native system, have seen this too many times. 

But CarPlay is the best :-)
    command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Regardless, never, ever buy on a promise that feature x will be made available later. Once they’s gotz ya monies…..
    rob53watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I've ordered a car from a certain other German manufacturer and I was originally quoted an eight-month lead time. With the the war in Ukraine and continuing issues with Covid, I'll now be lucky if I get my car after 12 months now.

If I had the option to get the car in half the time and then do a software update to get full functionality later, I would.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    spaceage said:
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

You don’t know what you’re talking about. BMW was the first manufacturer to support CarPlay over Bluetooth, and now the first to support CarKey. It’s also perfectly believable that they had to switch to different silicon for portions of their audio and console modules given the overall industry situation, and as such need extra time to develop and qualify their code for that change. They obviously “chose” to do this because they aren’t going to stop shipping vehicles entirely because of one software feature like this being delayed. Many other manufacturers are having to make similarly difficult choices right now, including Ford, GM, and others.
    Agreed. Can you imagine the outrage if the software wasn't fully tested and supported. And you know darn well that the feature is not worth holding back shipment of the vehicles to anxiously waiting customers. At least there will be a software update in the future. Other cars are shipping without features (seat heaters in some GM cars) that can really never be added.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    slurpy said:
    How come the luxury cars only are dropping features cause of the chip shortage? Some don't even have blindspot detection and adaptive cruise control anymore. 

Not true. Everybody is dropping features or pushing them to optional packages to lower the take rate. See other listed examples by me and others above.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    rob53 said:
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

In other words a lame excuse by BMW. Quoting your quote, the chips aren’t compatible when they actually are. It’s application software that hasn’t been written, not the chips operating system. In other words, they need to quit blaming the chips and start blaming the programmers. On the other hand, who’s infotainment system are they using? I’d blame them since just about every car stereo manufacturer can handle CarPlay (but like normal, BMW can’t get anything to work).
    You are being way too hard on these people.  I work for an engineering firm and I can tell you it sounds simple to just update the software and off you go but there are many weeks or months of testing and debugging to ensure it works properly under many conditions.  How many times did apple have to do a x.x.1 software update for some obscure bug - it happens a lot.   Moreover, modern car have complex software so the CarPlay software fix is part of a bigger update (not unlike the x.x updates Apple rolls out every few months) companies don’t do one offs just because someone whines about a missing feature. 
    mike1command_f
  • Reply 19 of 23
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    I heard that there are over four thousand chips on an EV car. It got to be the most complex device humans have ever made. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    My next car is going to be electric and German, but not a chance it will be a BMW.
    watto_cobra