There's a hack to add CarPlay support to a Tesla

Posted:
in iOS
Tesla owners who want CarPlay running on their car's screens can now do so, as the developer behind a hack for the car's infotainment system has released code for his project.

In January, Polish developer Michal Gapinski revealed he had come up with a way to use CarPlay on his Tesla. While CarPlay isn't usually available within Tesla's software and would need an aftermarket head unit, Gapinski's solution offered a way to do so without major changes to the car's electronics.

On Saturday, Gapinski announced the first release of the Tesla Android Project, providing a way for the public to download code to set up their own in-car systems.

As the name implies, the Tesla Android Project is all about extending the utility of the Tesla in-car display by turning it into a large interactive Android tablet. Rather than making major software changes to the Tesla, the project instead relies on forcing the Tesla to use its Wi-Fi connection to connect to nearby hardware, and to display an interactive video feed in the browser.

That video feed is supplied by a collection of hardware carried inside the vehicle, which is used to run Android. The assembly includes a pair of Raspberry Pi units, with one used for Android and the other using Linux and handling video and connectivity duties.

CarPlay on Tesla! It's here! Spent the afternoon tinkering with @TeslaAndroid and it's the real deal!

It's using a few raspberry pies and software wizardry to send wireless android to the Tesla, giving you full CarPlay or Android Auto. pic.twitter.com/nW4Lbtddtv

-- Robert Rosenfeld (@robertrosenfeld)

In effect, the Android Raspberry Pi passes its signal through the Linux Raspberry Pi, which deals with the cellular connection as well as communicating directly with the Tesla. Gapinski hopes to narrow down the hardware required in the future, so that it can all run on one Raspberry Pi instead of two, and with minimal extra equipment.

Since the system is based on Android, users can interact with Android through the browser-based session on the Tesla display. The same system is able to run both CarPlay and Android Auto, so a user can connect their iPhone using Apple's automotive platform.

Still in its early stages, the Tesla Android Project has provided source code under GNU GPL v3.0, released via GitHub.

It remains to be seen how many people will be able to benefit from using the project, given its technical nature. It's also plausible that Tesla could release changes in software that could render the project unusable in the future, especially given the frosty relationship between Apple and Tesla.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 125member
    Pretty much reason No. 1 why Tesla never make it to the final contenders list, when looking for a new car. Wireless AppleCarplay is a MUST.
    rotateleftbytejeffharrisStrangeDayslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 79member
    Pretty much reason No. 1 why Tesla never make it to the final contenders list, when looking for a new car. Wireless AppleCarplay is a MUST.
    Look at the VW ID.4:  It has a wireless charging spot for the phone in the center console and wireless CarPlay.

I've been looking at the Tesla Model Y as my next car (in Spring 2023) but beside Musk's ever more erratic behavior, Tesla has pretty much priced themselves out of contention.   I've had nothing but good things from the VW dealer I've worked with since 2009 and the now five VW's (Jetta and Tiguan) that I've leased from them.  I've also got to drive an ID.4 - while it doesn't go from zero to 60 in three seconds like some Teslas...it was still a really great car to drive.  
    rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I had CarPlay in my previous Lexus hybrids.  I don't really miss it with Tesla's infotainment system.  Maps is superior and while bluetooth with Siri is fine.. actually having Spotify in the car is pretty useful.  Never mind watching Netflix, Disney+ etc during breaks in the car.  Not a criteria to keep anyone away from Tesla and the supercharger network (which is awesome!)
    alandailgrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Weird that Muskie doesn’t have CarPlay in Teslas. Nice looking cars, though. 
    Being weird seems to be what Muskie does best. 

FYI, Tesla does make solar roofing tiles that look like slate roofing tiles. Brilliant idea!
    I’d definitely spec them if I were designing a house.

CarPlay is in my Honda HR-V. 
    I prefer plugging in to wireless, but it works great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    neverindoubtneverindoubt Posts: 120member
    Wireless CarPlay + Q charging pad sold me on the Audi Q3 vs similar competitors.

The huge touch screen (vs joystick controls) helped too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    CarPlay has limited value in a Tesla. I thought I'd miss it, and that concern is why I waited a couple of years longer than I did before buying one.  A week later we replaced our second car with a Tesla.

Every Tesla has built in streaming with Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn, and over bluetooth.
    Every Tesla has build in hands free texting and calling.
    Every Tesla has built in maps, which auto route you to superchargers on trips and is used by FSD.

The only thing I miss from CarPlay is Apple Music, but I can access that hands free with "Hey Siri"

Overall a Tesla is to other cars like the first iPhone was to flip phones. Car keeps getting better the longer I own it via constant software updates. Better safety, better convenience, better entertainment.

Some of the things every Tesla does that no other car I know of does

Dog Mode - leave climate control on when you leave the car
    Sentry Mode - built in 360 degree security system when you leave the car, also records any incidents that happen on the road. You can view the cameras from your phone.
    Scheduled departure (have your car automatically turn on ac/heat so it's preconditioned when you leave for work each day)
    Automatic Heated Seats
    Turns on and unlocks when you walk up with your phone, turns off and locks when you walk away with your phone.
    Drives (Autopilot) within your lane on any road with at least one lane marking. i.e. two lane road with a center line marking doesn't need a line on the right. Speed auto adjusts traffic, speed changes, and slows down for sharper curves.

And with FSD added (currently requires driver supervision)
    Navigate on Autopilot (highways) - car will follow the route on highways, passing slower cars, taking exits, merging, etc.
    Navigate on Autopilot (cities - with FSD Beta) - car will follow the route off highways, passing slower cars, handing stop lights, stop signs, turns, roundabouts, etc. 

Supervised autopilot/FSD is about 10x safer than the average person driving the average car and safety is trending up.

grandact73Kuyangkoh
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    Just rented a Tesla recently while in San Francisco (I drive another EV at home). Good to drive but missed CarPlay and found the overall UI of the Tesla really terrible. It is clear that the driver was an afterthought. No gauges, no tactile buttons and the most basic (and important) functions are difficult to navigate in the best of times let alone while driving. (teeny tiny buttons and layered menus). The windshield started noggin up and could not figure out how to get the defroster going without pulling over! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    rcomeau said:
    Just rented a Tesla recently while in San Francisco (I drive another EV at home). Good to drive but missed CarPlay and found the overall UI of the Tesla really terrible. It is clear that the driver was an afterthought. No gauges, no tactile buttons and the most basic (and important) functions are difficult to navigate in the best of times let alone while driving. (teeny tiny buttons and layered menus). The windshield started noggin up and could not figure out how to get the defroster going without pulling over! 
    Push the left thumb scroll button, say "turn on defroster"

Also say things like "I'm too hot". "I'm too cold", "drive home", "drive to work", "Call (name of contact)", "Drive to (name of place)", "Open the glove box", "search google for ...", "Dome lights on", "Dome Lights off", "Open Trunk", "Close Trunk", etc., etc.
    edited May 2022 anantksundaramrecoveryboy
  • Reply 9 of 21
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    NYC362 said:

Look at the VW ID.4:  It has a wireless charging spot for the phone in the center console and wireless CarPlay.

I've been looking at the Tesla Model Y as my next car (in Spring 2023) but beside Musk's ever more erratic behavior, Tesla has pretty much priced themselves out of contention.   I've had nothing but good things from the VW dealer I've worked with since 2009 and the now five VW's (Jetta and Tiguan) that I've leased from them.  I've also got to drive an ID.4 - while it doesn't go from zero to 60 in three seconds like some Teslas...it was still a really great car to drive.  
    Yeah, Musk's erratic behaviour has totally put me off owning a Tesla. I'd rather drive an ID.4/5. 
    StrangeDayssconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    alandail said:
    rcomeau said:
    Push the left thumb scroll button, say "turn on defroster"

Also say things like "I'm too hot". "I'm too cold", "drive home", "drive to work", "Call (name of contact)", "Drive to (name of place)", "Open the glove box", "search google for ...", "Dome lights on", "Dome Lights off", "Open Trunk", "Close Trunk", etc., etc.
    Thats all fine, but that left thumb scroll button has zero labelling on it, so that is not a discoverable feature, let alone know what key words it is looking for. Every other car in the world will have climate controls that are easy to quickly understand.

Everyone says you get used to the interface, but "getting used to it" is not a UI i aspire to emulate.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    alandail said:
    CarPlay has limited value in a Tesla. I thought I'd miss it, and that concern is why I waited a couple of years longer than I did before buying one.  A week later we replaced our second car with a Tesla.

Every Tesla has built in streaming with Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn, and over bluetooth.
    Every Tesla has built in maps, which auto route you to superchargers on trips and is used by FSD.

The only thing I miss from CarPlay is Apple Music, but I can access that hands free with "Hey Siri"

Overall a Tesla is to other cars like the first iPhone was to flip phones. Car keeps getting better the longer I own it via constant software updates. Better safety, better convenience, better entertainment.

Sentry Mode - built in 360 degree security system when you leave the car, also records any incidents that happen on the road. You can view the cameras from your phone.
    Scheduled departure (have your car automatically turn on ac/heat so it's preconditioned when you leave for work each day)
    Automatic Heated Seats
    Turns on and unlocks when you walk up with your phone, turns off and locks when you walk away with your phone.
    Drives (Autopilot) within your lane on any road with at least one lane marking. i.e. two lane road with a center line marking doesn't need a line on the right. Speed auto adjusts traffic, speed changes, and slows down for sharper curves.

Navigate on Autopilot (highways) - car will follow the route on highways, passing slower cars, taking exits, merging, etc.
    Navigate on Autopilot (cities - with FSD Beta) - car will follow the route off highways, passing slower cars, handing stop lights, stop signs, turns, roundabouts, etc. 

Supervised autopilot/FSD is about 10x safer than the average person driving the average car and safety is trending up.

Tesla is for rich people. Replacing a tire costs over $600. LOL

If it is safer, does the insurance company lowers the rate drastically? LOL

In FSD mode does it recognize traffic sign? If there is a glitch in software when the traffic sing turns red, will this car run through the traffic sign? Can you trust it? LOL
    Ofer
  • Reply 12 of 21
    alandail said:

Automatic Heated Seats

In FSD mode does it recognize traffic sign? If there is a glitch in software when the traffic sing turns red, will this car run through the traffic sign? Can you trust it? LOL
    Yes, insurance is cheaper. Tesla insurance in Ohio is $45/month.

Yes, I 100% trust it with traffic lights. It's never even come close to running a red light.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Couldn't agree more!   It's why after decades of Toyota vehicles I dropped them because of their insistence on using their own info/nav systems (now changed for some cars).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    alandail said:
    alandail said:

Automatic Heated Seats

Yes, I 100% trust it with traffic lights. It's never even come close to running a red light.
    Thanks for the reply. Does traffic sign recognition work in nonFSD mode? 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    alandail said:
    alandail said:

Automatic Heated Seats

Thanks for the reply. Does traffic sign recognition work in nonFSD mode? 
    I believe it requires FSD
  • Reply 16 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    alandail said:
    alandail said:

Automatic Heated Seats

I’ve seen video of a Tesla lurching directly for a cyclist inside its bike lane. Right here (25:15):

https://youtu.be/xD0r34nEiWA

Man 1: “Fuuuck!”
    Man 2: “Are we gonna have to cut that?”
    edited May 2022 sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    rcomeau said:
    Tesla owners dont have your experience, only renters
  • Reply 18 of 21
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    alandail said:

Automatic Heated Seats

Same here, i can use apple map w turn by turn voice in tesla speakers, i can also stream apple musics, sms, voice call through my iphone…and i no key to carry. So why do I need car play??
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    alandail said:

Is that feature really safe to use, considering that everyone in the USA wants to be a hero and break someone else's car glass when they see an unaccompanied animal inside a vehicle? I hear stories ALL THE TIME about people spotting a dog in what they perceive to be a "hot car" and then they forcibly enter to "rescue" the animal. Sometimes, their actions do help the animal (in an actual hot car), but it would seem to be a big risk to take if you have a Tesla.
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jdw said:
    alandail said:

Is that feature really safe to use, considering that everyone in the USA wants to be a hero and break someone else's car glass when they see an unaccompanied animal inside a vehicle? I hear stories ALL THE TIME about people spotting a dog in what they perceive to be a "hot car" and then they forcibly enter to "rescue" the animal. Sometimes, their actions do help the animal (in an actual hot car), but it would seem to be a big risk to take if you have a Tesla.
    The display shows clearly dog mode is on and the current temp inside the car.