BMW temporarily ships cars without Apple CarPlay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    What? It’s software related so why does the hardware have anything to do with it? If they can update the software later to make AirPlay work they can do it now. 
    100%

Why is the article mentioning a chip shortage when the solution BMW is proffering is an over-the-air software update "at some point in the future"?!?

BMW has an awful track record with 3rd party support & i am sure the only reason these vehicles are not shipping with it enabled is because BMW chose not to do it.
    What it said is "The chips used by BMW for its infotainment system aren't fully compatible with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto at the moment". So BMW used chip from a different company like Apple switching from Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon. And BMW software developer is not able to rewrite OS on time. 
    Or, since this was a forced (and hence unplanned) change of hardware, we could applaud their developers for getting everything except CarPlay working.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 22 of 23
    itinj24itinj24 Posts: 51member
    command_f said:
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    What? It’s software related so why does the hardware have anything to do with it? If they can update the software later to make AirPlay work they can do it now. 
    100%

Why is the article mentioning a chip shortage when the solution BMW is proffering is an over-the-air software update "at some point in the future"?!?

BMW has an awful track record with 3rd party support & i am sure the only reason these vehicles are not shipping with it enabled is because BMW chose not to do it.
    What it said is "The chips used by BMW for its infotainment system aren't fully compatible with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto at the moment". So BMW used chip from a different company like Apple switching from Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon. And BMW software developer is not able to rewrite OS on time. 
    Or, since this was a forced (and hence unplanned) change of hardware, we could applaud their developers for getting everything except CarPlay working.
    Sure but prices have gone up, not down. That’s where my issue lies. If you’re going to gimp a luxury car of standard features that have been available for years prior, then make change the prices to be commensurate with the product. 
  • Reply 23 of 23
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    spaceage said:
    sandor said:
    rob53 said:
    100%

You don’t know what you’re talking about. BMW was the first manufacturer to support CarPlay over Bluetooth, and now the first to support CarKey. It’s also perfectly believable that they had to switch to different silicon for portions of their audio and console modules given the overall industry situation, and as such need extra time to develop and qualify their code for that change. They obviously “chose” to do this because they aren’t going to stop shipping vehicles entirely because of one software feature like this being delayed. Many other manufacturers are having to make similarly difficult choices right now, including Ford, GM, and others.

They are also one of the first to introduce subscription based features.

Think you own that seat heater?
    Think again.

I have driven BMWs for decades & love them, but just like with Apple, i cannot turn a blind eye to their nonsense.
    muthuk_vanalingam