Apple releases new firmware for AirPods, AirPods Pro & AirPods Max

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2022
Apple has updated the second-generation AirPods, AirPods Max, and AirPods Pro, releasing a firmware update for the personal audio accessories on Tuesday.

Apple doesn't usually provide any release notes for AirPods firmware, making it difficult to work out what has actually changed in each release. It is likely that each update includes bug fixes and performance improvements at a minimum.

The firmware release is 4e71, and applies to the AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and both the second-generation and third-generation AirPods.

There is no official method to manually update the firmware of AirPods, but instead it is an automatically-installing firmware update. This occurs when your AirPods are connected to an iOS device, and are stored in the charging case with sufficient power.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app.
  1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information
Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    i0SZt1ITi0SZt1IT Posts: 5member
    If the "How to Check..." instructions do not work for you, as they did not for me, try this.

1.  Open Settings
    2.  Select Bluetooth
    3.  Under My Devices, select the panel with your AirPods Max name
    4.  On the right side of the panel, click the Information (Circle-I) button
    5.  Scroll down to the About section to read your  (firmware) Version
    ronnAlex1NAnilu_777applguygilly33
  • Reply 2 of 9
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    I wonder if this applies to Beats headphones too..
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Any firmware updates for Apple Beats Fit, Power Beats, or Flex.  Even tho Apple owns Bests it seem this product does not get any attention. I like the Beats like cuz they sell in colors other than Apple's refrigerator WHITE.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    AMcKinlay21AMcKinlay21 Posts: 125member
    As seems to be quite often the case now, it appears possible to "accelerate" delivery of the firmware update by connecting the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max directly to a Mac; though, in my case, I ended in with the latest firmware but needed to reset both devices.
    NYC362
  • Reply 5 of 9
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 79member
    As seems to be quite often the case now, it appears possible to "accelerate" delivery of the firmware update by connecting the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max directly to a Mac; though, in my case, I ended in with the latest firmware but needed to reset both devices.
    Yes- that works.  I was coming here to post the same thing.  I plugged my AirPods Pro into my iMac, they updated almost immediately.    
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I checked my Beats Flex and the firmware was v.3.7.2. I connected it to my MBA for 5 minutes and it was still the same. So I guess 3.7.2 is the latest for both AirPods and Beats 'buds. The MagSafe battery pack updated in less than a minute from my MBA. 

You guys who updated your AirPods from you Macs -- what OS were you using?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    jamnap said:
    Any firmware updates for Apple Beats Fit, Power Beats, or Flex.  Even tho Apple owns Bests it seem this product does not get any attention. I like the Beats like cuz they sell in colors other than Apple's refrigerator WHITE.
    Are the Beats products in need of attention? What issues are outstanding that need updates to resolve?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    i0SZt1IT said:
    If the "How to Check..." instructions do not work for you, as they did not for me, try this.

1.  Open Settings
    2.  Select Bluetooth
    3.  Under My Devices, select the panel with your AirPods Max name
    4.  On the right side of the panel, click the Information (Circle-I) button
    5.  Scroll down to the About section to read your  (firmware) Version
    Thanks. The article’s  ‘how to’ just wasn’t cutting it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    It sounds like they've reduced the bass on the new firmware. The bottom end was a bit boomy before. Better now.