Apple's iPhone 15 will be first with USB-C, claims Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2022
After some supply chain checks, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that the 2023 "iPhone 15" will abandon the Lightning connector and instead use USB-C.

Apple has been periodically rumored to migrate from Lightning to USB-C for a forthcoming iPhone over the last few years, and the EU is close to requiring all smartphone manufacturers to adopt it. In a new series of tweets, Ming-Chi Kuo says he believes it will happen with the "iPhone 15."

(1/2)
My latest survey indicates that 2H23 new iPhone will abandon Lightning port and switch to USB-C port. USB-C could improve iPhone's transfer and charging speed in hardware designs, but the final spec details still depend on iOS support.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Recent tweets from Kuo have primarily been his predictions, rather than based on any supply chain evidence. He says this new information is from his "latest survey," presumably of those suppliers, however.

If correct, a 2023 launch would mark the end of the Lightning connector as Apple's primary charging cable, after 13 years. USB-C was launched shortly after Lightning in 2012, but it wasn't until the 12-inch MacBook in 2015 that Apple used it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    kiehtankiehtan Posts: 38member
    As long as Apple gets rid of the lightning port on everything else...AirPods...Magic Mouse...etc...
    twokatmewwilliamlondonurahara
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Lighting USB  - C your way out 

hopefully 

Although  USB has already switched to USB-C On one end of the lighting cable and I’ve always liked the lighting, it’s just time to join the world. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 3 of 47
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Ever since USB-C launched numerous voices including Kuo have repeatedly claimed that Apple only keep the lighting connector to protect a revenue source inside of the MFi program. Despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary and that the bulk of Apple's MFi program is based around wireless technologies and protocols e.g. GymKit, Hearing Aids, MagSafe, HomeKit, AirPlay, FindMy, CarPlay and Authentication to list a few examples.

Switching now to USB-C is the result of accessories being largely driven by wireless connections. Swapping earlier would merely produce unncessary landfill and breed resentment across both consumers and manufacturers of lightning-based devices.

Mandates for micro USB and then later USB-C solved the problem of budget manufacturers which made a new plug for every phone/device they built. That's not a problem that Apple has ever had.
    radarthekatdewme
  • Reply 4 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Really no advantage to USB for most people, yet it will start the cycle of replacing chargers and cables again. At least when Apple switched from 30-pin to Lightning therewere clear advantages. Not anything close here.

I would suspect Apple will migrate to no port (MagSafe/Wireless), before switching to USB C
    jib
  • Reply 5 of 47
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    This is my requirement to upgrade. Still hanging onto my Gold 512GB XS Max until a USB-C port is on the iPhone. Glad to read it’s finally on the horizon. Sorry we have to wait another 16 months.
    edited May 2022 williamlondongrandact73urahara
  • Reply 6 of 47
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    For USB-C Magic Mouse, please have the charging port on the side and frontal. Currently I have 2 Magic Mouses because of the dumb charging port on the bottom. I wonder if that's Jony Ive's decision.
    flyingdpwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Lighting USB  - C your way out 

hopefully 

Although  USB has already switched to USB-C On one end of the lighting cable and I’ve always liked the lighting, it’s just time to join the world. 
    Time to join the world? Why? Apple has made its name by doing its own thing, thinking different. And in another two years you will be castigating Apple to adopt the next whatever the “world” thinks is standard. Hell ,why not demand Apple toss iOS and move to Android like the rest of the “world”? 

In other words you want Apple to be just like the rest of the tech lemmings in the “world”. Whatever everybody else does force Apple to do the same.
    mike1auxiojibJapheySpitbathflyingdpAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hope so.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    For USB-C Magic Mouse, please have the charging port on the side and frontal. Currently I have 2 Magic Mouses because of the dumb charging port on the bottom. I wonder if that's Jony Ive's decision.
    Are you also upset that you can’t drive your car for the brief time it takes to fill the tank?

If only the fuel port was on the roof so a tanker truck could pour it in while I’m on the go!
    jibJapheyroundaboutnowAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 47
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    This is my requirement to upgrade. Still hanging onto my Gold 512GB XS Max until a USB-C port is on the iPhone. Glad to read it’s finally on the horizon. Sorry we have to wait another 16 months.
    That’s a fascinating place to draw a line in the sand. 
    sconosciutoJapheySpitbathwilliamlondonroundaboutnowAlex1Nurahara
  • Reply 11 of 47
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    AppleZulu said:
    Are you also upset that you can’t drive your car for the brief time it takes to fill the tank?

If only the fuel port was on the roof so a tanker truck could pour it in while I’m on the go!
    Well, right now you’d have to flip your ”car” on its head to fuel it.
    And actually, yeah it would cool if I can fill up my car without stopping at a station. 
    ravnorodomurahara
  • Reply 12 of 47
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Those of us that have switched over to completely wireless couldn't care less what port is on the iPhone.  We haven't touched ours in 2 years.
    SpitbathAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    goofy1958 said:
    Those of us that have switched over to completely wireless couldn't care less what port is on the iPhone.  We haven't touched ours in 2 years.
    I'm close to completely wireless on my iPhone 11 Pro just because the port doesn't work that well anymore. 

I would think that Apple going completely wireless would be more likely than switching to USB. 

But if Apple does switch to USB, I wonder if the USB port will be there mainly as a 'service port,' perhaps not visible or easily accessed? 
  • Reply 14 of 47
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    AppleZulu said:

Makes total sense. Apple please move MagSafe charging port to the bottom of my MacBook Pro so I can take a long coffee break.
    crowleybloggerblogAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    AppleZulu said:

If every other car on the market were capable of refuelling without stopping then yeah, I would be pretty damn annoyed if Apple insisted that I stop to plug in.
    bloggerblogmuthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 16 of 47
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mike1 said:
    Really no advantage to USB for most people, yet it will start the cycle of replacing chargers and cables again. At least when Apple switched from 30-pin to Lightning therewere clear advantages. Not anything close here.

I would suspect Apple will migrate to no port (MagSafe/Wireless), before switching to USB C
    Except for the faster charging and data transmission rates, you mean? 
  • Reply 17 of 47
    I so rarely use the iPhone 13 lightening port I doubt it matters much, now that I have wireless charging and WiFi 6. My Mac is also WiFi 6. Most everything else I have is either USB-C or lightening. The only USB-A device I have is a thumb drive. Ports and hubs are mattering less and less to me. I'm happy if everything that's not Thunderbolt (USB-C) port or WiFi 6 would just go away, including HDMI. I'm also happy to see all charing bricks go USB. No more black custom pucks. I should be able to charge or power any portable electronic device over USB-C and charge it, even if the wattage is too low and I have to go slow.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Please, someone kill USB-A !!!
  • Reply 19 of 47
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    AppleZulu said:
    That’s a fascinating place to draw a line in the sand. 
    I was going to say the same thing!
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 47
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    AppleZulu said:

No it’s a stupid design. No other wireless mouse has this. There are hundreds of other mice that can be used while charging. This was a breathtakingly stupid choice. 
    ravnorodomwilliamlondonuraharanetroxMplsP