Apple's iPhone 15 will be first with USB-C, claims Kuo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    AppleZulu said:
    For USB-C Magic Mouse, please have the charging port on the side and frontal. Currently I have 2 Magic Mouses because of the dumb charging port on the bottom. I wonder if that's Jony Ive's decision.
    Are you also upset that you can’t drive your car for the brief time it takes to fill the tank?

If only the fuel port was on the roof so a tanker truck could pour it in while I’m on the go!
    If every other car on the market were capable of refuelling without stopping then yeah, I would be pretty damn annoyed if Apple insisted that I stop to plug in.
    Why would you be annoyed if you didn't own an Apple car? And you wouldn’t own one because it annoyed so you didn’t buy one. So we’re back to the “force Apple to do what everybody else is doing” just because it’s Apple and you don’t like them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 47
    If Apple does switch they should offer a charger with a female Lightning port on it so you can continue to use existing cables to charge it. 
  • Reply 23 of 47
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Ever since USB-C launched numerous voices including Kuo have repeatedly claimed that Apple only keep the lighting connector to protect a revenue source inside of the MFi program. Despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary and that the bulk of Apple's MFi program is based around wireless technologies and protocols e.g. GymKit, Hearing Aids, MagSafe, HomeKit, AirPlay, FindMy, CarPlay and Authentication to list a few examples.

Switching now to USB-C is the result of accessories being largely driven by wireless connections. Swapping earlier would merely produce unncessary landfill and breed resentment across both consumers and manufacturers of lightning-based devices.

Mandates for micro USB and then later USB-C solved the problem of budget manufacturers which made a new plug for every phone/device they built. That's not a problem that Apple has ever had.
    If I'm reading this right, you're saying swapping to USB-C now would result in resentment?  I don't see that at all.  Apple already uses USB-C in the iPad Air and Pro, not to mention on MacBooks.  Lightning is slower and physically doesn't hold up as well as USB-C.  It's ten years old.  I, for one, will be very disappointed if the iPhone 14 retains Lightning.  I'd rather have no ports than have lightning.  I already have multiple MagSafe chargers...getting a few more won't hurt.  
  • Reply 24 of 47
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    If Apple does switch they should offer a charger with a female Lightning port on it so you can continue to use existing cables to charge it. 
    Huh? Do you mean a Lightning to USB-C adapter? You can find thousands of those on Amazon already. The iPhone will already (presumably) come with the new cord on the box. And even if it doesn’t, a new one will only cost a little bit more than the adapter anyway. And really, why would you want to spend 1k on a new phone and not take advantage of all the upgrades that the new cord will provide, like faster charging? 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 25 of 47
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    For USB-C Magic Mouse, please have the charging port on the side and frontal. Currently I have 2 Magic Mouses because of the dumb charging port on the bottom. I wonder if that's Jony Ive's decision.
    I never got the uproar over this?  Plug it in for 2 minutes and go get some coffee or a drink of water stretch your legs B)

A full charge takes as little as two hours, while a quick two minutes of charging is enough to give you nine hours of use before the mouse needs a refill.

roundaboutnowravnorodomAppleZuluAlex1Nthedba
  • Reply 26 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Are you also upset that you can’t drive your car for the brief time it takes to fill the tank?

If only the fuel port was on the roof so a tanker truck could pour it in while I’m on the go!
    If every other car on the market were capable of refuelling without stopping then yeah, I would be pretty damn annoyed if Apple insisted that I stop to plug in.
    Why would you be annoyed if you didn't own an Apple car? And you wouldn’t own one because it annoyed so you didn’t buy one. So we’re back to the “force Apple to do what everybody else is doing” just because it’s Apple and you don’t like them.
    raynorodum owns two Magic Mice, so I would assume he likes them, just not the port location.  

Can you even comprehend that liking Apple, or Apple's products, doesn't necessitate liking every single thing about them?
    edited May 2022 avon b7muthuk_vanalingambloggerblog
  • Reply 27 of 47
    mike1 said:
    Really no advantage to USB for most people, yet it will start the cycle of replacing chargers and cables again. At least when Apple switched from 30-pin to Lightning therewere clear advantages. Not anything close here.

I would suspect Apple will migrate to no port (MagSafe/Wireless), before switching to USB C
    I agree that there were advantages in going from 30-pin to Lightning, but Lightning didn't already exist. At least now, USB-C exists and is already used by Apple, so I think the transition this time would be easier.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    AppleZulu said:

raynorodum owns two Magic Mice, so I would assume he likes them, just not the port location.  

Can you even comprehend that liking Apple, or Apple's products, doesn't necessitate liking every single thing about them?
    I love Apple mouse and it’s very comfortable to use. I own two so that if one is out of juice, I would just swap for the second one while the first one is charging. After the first one is done charging, I put it away until the second one is out of juice and then I swap again. I know that charging 2 min will last for 9 hr. But many times I kept forgetting to recharge after 9 hr. So owning 2 mice works perfect for me. If the charging port were in the front, I wouldn’t had spent extra $$ on the second one. 
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 47
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    jcs2305 said:
    I never got the uproar over this?  Plug it in for 2 minutes and go get some coffee or a drink of water stretch your legs B)

A full charge takes as little as two hours, while a quick two minutes of charging is enough to give you nine hours of use before the mouse needs a refill.

I think the designers at Apple were preemptively peeved at people who wouldn’t get this and clearly made a very intentional design decision. Either the wireless Magic Mouse was in the pipeline when Steve Jobs was still alive, or it was his ghost that came back and put the charging port on the bottom, because it’s such a classic Jobsian move: ‘It’s a wireless mouse, and it’s not just like every other mouse. Put the port in the bottom and that’ll keep anyone from mistaking it for (and misusing it like) every other mouse.’
    Alex1N
  • Reply 30 of 47
    DAalseth said:
    AppleZulu said:

No it’s a stupid design. No other wireless mouse has this. There are hundreds of other mice that can be used while charging. This was a breathtakingly stupid choice. 
    Interestingly it appears that part of Apple’s success is the fact that things that seem obvious about their design choices and their business model just elude all those other companies and a fair few critics who think they should just do what all the others do. 

So they make choices that befuddle and enrage, whether it’s the charging port on the bottom of the wireless mouse, or ditching 19th century headphone connector technology, or integrating their own operating systems exclusively with their own hardware. People keep saying these things are dumb and they should do just like all the others, and they keep doing their thing and collecting money from customers who seem pretty ok with it not being just like all the others. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 31 of 47
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    AppleZulu said:

I love Apple mouse and it’s very comfortable to use. I own two so that if one is out of juice, I would just swap for the second one while the first one is charging. After the first one is done charging, I put it away until the second one is out of juice and then I swap again. I know that charging 2 min will last for 9 hr. But many times I kept forgetting to recharge after 9 hr. So owning 2 mice works perfect for me. If the charging port were in the front, I wouldn’t had spent extra $$ on the second one. 
    I that’s what works for you, great. 

I am curious. Do both mice stay paired to your Mac, or do you have to get the Mac to select and reconnect with the second mouse when you swap them out? Obviously I’m getting at the question of about how long it takes to plug in and set aside the dead first mouse, and then get up and going with the second mouse? 
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    jcs2305 said:

Not really the Magic Mouse has a fairly dumb set of rechargeable AA cells in it and no smarts in the charger. 2min charge get les each time you do it. You get to the point that won't even get you half a day. 

Time for Apple to have a new go at a truly modern mouse one for the next 10years. 
    Maybe more puck like and with gyro so it works as 3d mouse. 

Or Apple Pencil 3 - point down to draw on screen, flip over it works as mouse on any surface.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 47
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    goofy1958 said:
    Those of us that have switched over to completely wireless couldn't care less what port is on the iPhone.  We haven't touched ours in 2 years.
    Having USB-C on the iPhone will be good when traveling.  I don't take the wireless phone charger on trips.  So at the moment I have to remember both lightning and usb-C for charging the phone and Mac.  This way I can use the Mac charger and same cable to charge either device. A win for me and a no brainer for Apple.

Having a single cable for charging all Mac devices will resolve issues that places like the EU have about propriety chargers.  Any USB-C charger can charge any device as long as they have suffiicent power.
    bloggerblogsdw2001
  • Reply 34 of 47
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    AppleZulu said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    AppleZulu said:

I that’s what works for you, great. 

I am curious. Do both mice stay paired to your Mac, or do you have to get the Mac to select and reconnect with the second mouse when you swap them out? Obviously I’m getting at the question of about how long it takes to plug in and set aside the dead first mouse, and then get up and going with the second mouse? 
    The two mice are already pre-paired. What that means is all I need to do is turn the switch on and Mac will automatically connect it in 2 seconds. For the out of juice mouse, I just turn it off and leave it overnight to recharge fully.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 131member
    I would think that a (mechanical/wired) port-less phone would come under the description of a ‘proprietary charging method’ and thus would fail the common plug test, rather than avoiding it. Unless of course the charging element came with a USB-C plug/socket at one end - but that’s only a ‘maybe’ in any case.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 36 of 47
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Apple should make a mouse that never needs charging. Simply moving it creates a change that replenishes its battery. 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 37 of 47
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I really hope so. I’ve got so used to carrying around the same charger and AV adapter for my MBP and iPad, it would be so convenient to do the same for my iPhone as well.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mattinoz said:
    jcs2305 said:

Not really the Magic Mouse has a fairly dumb set of rechargeable AA cells in it and no smarts in the charger. 2min charge get les each time you do it. You get to the point that won't even get you half a day. 

Time for Apple to have a new go at a truly modern mouse one for the next 10years. 
    Maybe more puck like and with gyro so it works as 3d mouse. 

Or Apple Pencil 3 - point down to draw on screen, flip over it works as mouse on any surface.
    The original Magic Mouse had 2 AA batteries, but the current Magic Mouse 2 has a lithium-ion battery.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    mike1 said:
    Really no advantage to USB for most people, yet it will start the cycle of replacing chargers and cables again. At least when Apple switched from 30-pin to Lightning therewere clear advantages. Not anything close here.

I would suspect Apple will migrate to no port (MagSafe/Wireless), before switching to USB C
    I agree that there were advantages in going from 30-pin to Lightning, but Lightning didn't already exist. At least now, USB-C exists and is already used by Apple, so I think the transition this time would be easier.
    No it isn’t because for the non techies, which is the majority, it would be “Apple is trying to fleece us again, by changing their charging port”. 
    Damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    jcs2305 said:

You would think that after a couple of times of having their mouse run out of juice, they would’ve learned their lesson by now. Maybe a repeating reminder every 10th week to charge your keyboard and mouse?

Second observation, don’t they ever take a lunch break? Say 30 minutes charge during lunch will definitely get you through the day. 

Such first world problems many of them have.
    AppleZuluMplsP