Sony announces new WH-1000XM5 headphones, starting at $399.99

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sony has announced the WH-1000XM5, a new pair of premium noise-cancelling headphones with a number of audio and control updates that will retail for $399.99.

Credit: Sony
Credit: Sony

The WH-1000XM5 headphones feature a pair of processors that control eight microphones for high-performance noise cancellation and call quality. It also packs a new 30mm driver -- instead of the 40mm driver of past models --and Hi-Res audio support for a premium listening experience.

All in all, the company boasts that the headphones bring "a new standard for high quality audio." It promises improved clarity and bass reproduction compared to past Sony audio accessories.

Sony says that the new headphones last about 30 hours on a charge and will support quick charge that can restore up to three hours of listening time with just three minutes of charging time.

Sony WH-1000XM5 in Silver and Black.
Sony WH-1000XM5 in Silver and Black.

Multipoint connection allows users to quickly switch between devices paired via Bluetooth, and the headphones also feature touch control settings for playback and other toggles. Users can switch between ANC and ambient mode with a physical button.

Compared to its predecessors, the new headphones also feature a sleeker, updated design. Sony says that they're both comfortable and lightweight, and sport a soft leather fit around the ears.

Additionally, the WH-1000XM5 also come with a redesigned collapsible case for easy storage and protection when on the go.

The WH-1000XM5 are currently available to preorder for $399.99 and will begin shipping on May 20. They come in both Black and Silver colors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    I have XM3, I love it but my biggest complain is Sony should use real buttons rather than touchpad for control. It generally works well. But if you walking in the rain or snow, it costs lots of skipping or stopping. Also, it will do the same when you put it around your neck,
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    viclauyyc said:
    I have XM3, I love it but my biggest complain is Sony should use real buttons rather than touchpad for control. It generally works well. But if you walking in the rain or snow, it costs lots of skipping or stopping. Also, it will do the same when you put it around your neck,
    You wear $expensive headphones out in the rain? If skipping and stopping is the worst that has happened then count yourself lucky.
    Japhey
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    can confirm, don't like Sony touch controls on my XM3. Also, the handoff with Apple devices really shines compared to the hassle I have pairing these things as I move between my Apple devices.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    crowley said:
    viclauyyc said:
    You wear $expensive headphones out in the rain? If skipping and stopping is the worst that has happened then count yourself lucky.
    In very minor rain. Not downpour.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Well, they are not ugly. They have that going for them. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    They look pretty good, a much better price for performance than the grossly overpriced AirPods max, and work pretty well.
    The only bit I don’t like is that they don’t fold up like the XM4s. For frequent travellers compactness is important.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    entropys said:
    They look pretty good, a much better price for performance than the grossly overpriced AirPods max, and work pretty well.
    The only bit I don’t like is that they don’t fold up like the XM4s. For frequent travellers compactness is important.
    Sony sells $600 headphones too. This isn't their top of the line model. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    viclauyyc said:
    crowley said:
    viclauyyc said:
    In very minor rain. Not downpour.
    They are not splash or water resistant at all!?

The WF-1000XM3 is not waterproof. If water or foreign objects (e.g. dust) enter your product, it may cause damage, fire or electric shock. If that happens, stop use immediately and consult your nearest Sony dealer.

Makes more sense to adjust the volume or change the song on your water resistant phone, rather than touching the headphones with wet hands to do it in my opinion. Just because you haven't gotten shocked or fried the headphones yet, doesn't mean it can't happen...

• Reply 9 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    entropys said:
    How can you judge these performance wise with the Airpods Max? Just by price?  Airpods Max can be had for around 475 ish right now.. does that change your opinion of them?
    MplsP
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    jcs2305 said:
    entropys said:
    How can you judge these performance wise with the Airpods Max? Just by price?  Airpods Max can be had for around 475 ish right now.. does that change your opinion of them?
    agreed - they're in the same price bracket but I'd be interested in seeing a solid review and comparison of the two.
    muthuk_vanalingam