Apple circulating anti-union talking points to retail store managers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Leaked documents display Apple's anti-union talking points to store leaders that it hopes will stamp out burgeoning retail worker unionization efforts.

Apple Cumberland Mall

As unionization efforts ramp up at Apple Stores across the U.S, Apple has begun providing managers with ways to dissuade organizing employees from attempting to form unions.

In a leaked document obtained by Motherboard, Apple has instructed store leaders to warn employees that they could lose career growth opportunities, personal time off, and merit-based promotions.

The document reads, "There are a lot of things to consider. One is how a union could fundamentally change the way we work."

Apple is pushing the narrative that a union prevents teamwork.

"What makes a store great is having a team that works together well," the document says. "Like so much about relationships. If we're going to work well, we've got to help each other, know if someone's under stress, know when someone needs some space, and be able to talk through and work problems out. That can't always happen when a union represents a store's team members."

Apple also calls efforts to unionize against the company's culture, and would make the store operations inherently less flexible.

"The way we work now, we understand and appreciate that we're all balancing our personal and work lives, and we try to make it work for you," the document continues. "A rigid union contract that must be followed at all times would make that very difficult."

Apple has yet to publicly decry unionization efforts, but the tech giant recently hired anti-union lawyers at Littler Mendelson.

Employees in Apple Stores across the U.S. have begun unionization efforts, citing that the low wages aren't enough to support themselves on.

Workers at an Apple Store in Atlanta, Georgia will vote on whether or not to unionize on June 2, just days before Apple's WWDC.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    This is classic union busting strategy. Next, they’ll be hiring guys named Vito and Shark to walk outside an Apple store as employees leave.
    lkruppOfer
  • Reply 2 of 27
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I'll bet the Apple employees who vote for a union will still shop at Walmart.
    dewmeMadbumbloggerbloglkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 27
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    So tell me again how Apple crafting talking points advocating their side of the argument is somehow unlike the union organizers crafting talking points advocating their side?  This seems like a perfectly reasonable - dare I even say, fair? - move.
    Madbumlkruppdewmebloggerblogmwhitebeowulfschmidtmike1applguyMicDorsey
  • Reply 4 of 27
    But here's the rub...Apple's talking points in fact are not true.  The culture could actually be enhanced if the company knew that it has to promote people based on merit as opposed to favoritism.  Movement upwards in the company, especially at the retail level is challenging at best.  Ask the company how many managers of color they have.  I know for a fact that the store  and market I used to work at had enough to maybe count on one hand,  even when the percentage of lower-tier employee POC's is high.  there is now a HUGE disconnect between what Apple preaches and may well practice at the corporate level and what actually happens at the retail level.  Even if a union doesn't happen, having the company's feet held to the fire a little with even the THREAT can be a positive thing. 

algrOferronnJaiOh81
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Come on, just raise the wage if you don’t want unions. Apple can afford it. 
    lkruppOferronnJaiOh81
  • Reply 6 of 27
    But here's the rub...Apple's talking points in fact are not true.  The culture could actually be enhanced if the company knew that it has to promote people based on merit as opposed to favoritism.  Movement upwards in the company, especially at the retail level is challenging at best.  Ask the company how many managers of color they have.  I know for a fact that the store  and market I used to work at had enough to maybe count on one hand,  even when the percentage of lower-tier employee POC's is high.  there is now a HUGE disconnect between what Apple preaches and may well practice at the corporate level and what actually happens at the retail level.  Even if a union doesn't happen, having the company's feet held to the fire a little with even the THREAT can be a positive thing. 
    In most jurisdictions, the law itself prohibits "managers" from being unionized, at least not in the same union as the lower employees, so your claim that there would be more managers of colour is bogus because management cannot be unionized with their employees. Your statement could be partially fixed if you replaced the word "manager" with "supervisor" if you meant a supervisor with no management duties.

I know people who refused to be promoted to a manager because once that happens, you lose all your "union rights" and can be fired much more easily. How is that good for the health of a company when employees refuse promotions to management because of the fear of losing those protections?
    applguy
  • Reply 7 of 27
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    With American economy crashing and our president more focused on Ukraine than America, (Prolonging war with weapons and cash= perpetually high inflation due to high food prices and  gas prices), we helped for last 3 months but now we have to focus back on problems here for god sakes 

As a result of a crashing economy, companies  are all cutting back, this is the worse time to start a union unless they want to be ex-employees.

That even goes for Apple.
    Apple stock has been crashing and likely more to go.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 8 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Madbum said:
    With American economy crashing and our president more focused on Ukraine than America, (Prolonging war with weapons and cash= perpetually high inflation due to high food prices and  gas prices), we helped for last 3 months but now we have to focus back on problems here for god sakes 

As a result of a crashing economy, companies  are all cutting back, this is the worse time to start a union unless they want to be ex-employees.
    Thanks for the analysis, Vladimir 
    dewmeNYC362Oferronnblastdoormike1get serious
  • Reply 9 of 27
    In most jurisdictions, the law itself prohibits "managers" from being unionized, at least not in the same union as the lower employees, so your claim that there would be more managers of colour is bogus because management cannot be unionized with their employees. Your statement could be partially fixed if you replaced the word "manager" with "supervisor" if you meant a supervisor with no management duties.

I know people who refused to be promoted to a manager because once that happens, you lose all your "union rights" and can be fired much more easily. How is that good for the health of a company when employees refuse promotions to management because of the fear of losing those protections?
    A manager can be fired more easily?

this is not the steel workers or auto workers, Apple does not have to hire union apple store workers to show people how to use an iPhone or Mac!

Also, being in a union, your fate is the same as the loser next to you who is always late and slacks off.  The biggest power of a j ion is organized strikes, Apple can replace these people so easily it’s frankly stupid.
    edited May 2022 JFC_PAmike1
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Come on, just raise the wage if you don’t want unions. Apple can afford it. 
    How about just hire new people? I am sure plenty of college kids can work Apple
    store 
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 11 of 27
    maltz said:
    So tell me again how Apple crafting talking points advocating their side of the argument is somehow unlike the union organizers crafting talking points advocating their side?  This seems like a perfectly reasonable - dare I even say, fair? - move.
    Hey how stupid are you! Only a certain side is allowed to have free speech! Ask Elon Must and why he bought twitter! 😀
    lkruppM68000beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Madbum said:

That even goes for Apple.
    Apple stock has been crashing and likely more to go.
    Screw that. I want Biden to go all Ronald Reagan on Putin’s ass.
    NYC362ronnblastdoorMplsPget serious
  • Reply 13 of 27
    algralgr Posts: 27member
    If you want to prevent unionization, treat your workers with respect.  Apple forced workers to stand for a half hour a day unpaid for security checks.  And the standard claims of making the working environment less flexible is insulting.  No union ever prevented managers from better accommodating their workers needs.  (Unless that "accomodation" was actually an excuse to make things more difficult for someone else.)
    OferronnJaiOh81MplsP
  • Reply 14 of 27
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Good, the company gets to argue it’s view of the issue; then their employees get to decide. I like informed choices. 

MadbumMac4macmike1MicDorseyget serious
  • Reply 15 of 27
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Apple is pushing the narrative that a union prevents teamwork.

What? I thought union members were teamsters!
  • Reply 16 of 27
    JFC_PA said:
    Good, the company gets to argue it’s view of the issue; then their employees get to decide. I like informed choices. 

What you mean? Only one side gets to talk freely!! You should know better!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    algr said:
    If you want to prevent unionization, treat your workers with respect.  Apple forced workers to stand for a half hour a day unpaid for security checks.  And the standard claims of making the working environment less flexible is insulting.  No union ever prevented managers from better accommodating their workers needs.  (Unless that "accomodation" was actually an excuse to make things more difficult for someone else.)
    Maybe they can try to work at Walmart or Target. Get the fuck out of Apple if they don’t like it. See how they like Walmart
    meterestnz
  • Reply 18 of 27
    MplsP said:
    Madbum said:

Thanks for the analysis, Vladimir 
    If Being anti war and looking out for American families and American economy before the Ukrain makes me Vladimir, guilty as charged 
  • Reply 19 of 27

A union does exactly opposite of everything you are saying. Everything is negotiated by the union head and employees are no longer in control of their destiny. You will be viewed the same as the guy who is late everyday and slacks off

and you know what the rub is, employment is at will in this country, Apple does not have to hire union employees. The power of a union comes from organized strikes, do you think Apple will care if these people strike?

hownhard is it to find transfers who are good around iPhones and macs in this country?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Madbum said:

A manager can be fired more easily?
    Yes, correct, because any union won't fight over a manager being fired, since managers aren't represented by the union.
    get serious