Apple officially sells out of iPod touch in its US online store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's final iPod, the 2019 iPod touch, is now officially sold out on the official US online storefront, with some stock remaining in Canada, Brazil, and the UK.

2019 iPod touch
2019 iPod touch

On Tuesday, Apple announced that the iPod line had been discontinued, with the iPod touch available through Apple "while supplies last."

Now, one day later, all iPod touch models are listed as "out of stock," as spotted by by 9to5Mac.

Several iPod touch models can still be found in Apple Online Stores in other countries, such as Brazil, Canada, and the UK.

Apple first launched the iPod in 2001, with the final iteration arriving in 2019. The 2019 iPod touch featured an A10 Fusion chip.

The iPod touch was not just the final iPod, it has also been the lower-cost gateway to iOS for many users.

Third-party resellers, including Amazon and B&H Photo Video, still have inventory available, with the best iPod prices at press time starting at $189.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    BradCavBradCav Posts: 6member
    My old iPod touch died a few weeks ago and I had in my head decided to buy a new one when new models were released. Instead, when the news it was being discontinued droppe yesterday, I went and bought one at my local Apple store. Today, they’re sold out. Whether I keep it or not, I’m kind of glad I picked one while I could. 
    napoleon_phoneapartravnorodommac daddy zee
  • Reply 2 of 5
    BradCav said:
    My old iPod touch died a few weeks ago and I had in my head decided to buy a new one when new models were released. Instead, when the news it was being discontinued droppe yesterday, I went and bought one at my local Apple store. Today, they’re sold out. Whether I keep it or not, I’m kind of glad I picked one while I could. 
    My previous 6th Gen had a battery swell and Apple, with a bit of coaxing, gave me a replacement when the 7th Gen was available.  I wanted one then and asked if I could pay the difference and was told no. I think this discontinuation was coming for quite awhile.  I use mine with MagicJack VOIP account so perhaps Apple saw the iPod touch as detrimental to more profitable iPhone sales⁉️🤔 
    I bought my first and last 7 gen. this week too and also glad I as well.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I wonder if this means this old A10 Fusion processor from 2016 (and the A10X variant) are not going to be produced anymore? If true, it would mean Apple TV HD will encounter the same fate pretty soon, or is this exclusively about the iPod Touch getting discontinued as a marketed product, iPod brand, etc?

(I bought my first and only, iPod Touch 2nd gen, roughly spring 2009).
    mangakatten
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    BradCav said:
    My previous 6th Gen had a battery swell and Apple, with a bit of coaxing, gave me a replacement when the 7th Gen was available.  I wanted one then and asked if I could pay the difference and was told no. I think this discontinuation was coming for quite awhile.  I use mine with MagicJack VOIP account so perhaps Apple saw the iPod touch as detrimental to more profitable iPhone sales⁉️🤔 
    I bought my first and last 7 gen. this week too and also glad I as well.

Nope. More likely that since most everyone, including kids, has a phone, iPod sales had decreased to the level that did not deserve resources required to update.

I wonder if this means this old A10 Fusion processor from 2016 (and the A10X variant) are not going to be produced anymore? If true, it would mean Apple TV HD will encounter the same fate pretty soon, or is this exclusively about the iPod Touch getting discontinued as a marketed product, iPod brand, etc?

Probably a few years away. Remember this used an A8, I believe.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

Apple TV HD has the A8 chip in it.

The OG Apple Tv 4K had/has the 10x chip. Updated version now has the A12..