13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    Paul_B said:
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Trust Apple to make it way more complicated than it needs to be.
    When is the last time you performed ignition timing on your vehicle.  Or swapped out a bad wrist pin on a piston?  Some folks have the tools to do these jobs at home, but they aren’t free or cheap.  Nor are the instructions simple. 
    Do those folks rent them a week at a time, with the replacement cost up front, and “a fee and a tax” if they need them any longer than a week?

As I said, more complicated than it needs to be, to fuel Apple’s control freakery and Nicole and diming.
    Nicole? Yes, that's pretty much how it goes if you rent automotive repair tools… Checks a few sites… deposit = purchase price.

Who Rents Automotive repair tools?  You either own them and don't need a manual to fix the automobile, because you've either been taught, or a mechanic friend helps.  I don't know of a single place that rents a lift, and you have to be a ticketed mechanic to buy the diagnostic computer or get one on the black market.  My brakes on my Challenger Skat Pack are worth more that 4 iPhones, my Bridgestone tires are worth 2 iPhones.  iPhones are pennies compared to most useful products.  My Tenor Selmar Sax is worth six iPhones.  Are we talking pennies or Dollars?
    Who rents automotive tools?

Me, from my local AutoZone; when I have to pull a Flywheel or Main Pulley once every 20 years.

And I don't even play Sax; but I know it's Selmer; not Selmar!

Wow an innocent spelling mistake.  That's all you got.  "I do, from my local AutoZone" - Not ME.  I'm not writing about a Jack lift, I'm writing about a real lift - Those lifts you can work under the vehicle standing up.  My Gas stove is worth more than an iPhone.  Why do people run a muck over $100?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    sandor said:
    hexclock said:
    You want professional tools? Prepare to lug them around. That’s the way it works. 

but a hammer drill that will make an 8 mm hole through three courses of brick is useless for undoing pentalobe screws!

And, honestly, when it comes to construction equipment, professional =  bigger = better cooling, so you can run it 8 hours straight w/o burning out. 

Professional doesn't have to mean outlandishly big & powerful, it is simply about having the correct tools for the job.
    Hiliarious! You forgot to mention that using a demo hammer will void your iPhone warranty. 
    You’re right of course. I have a “professional” electrical tape cutter that weighs less than an ounce. 
    edited April 2022 sandordarkvader
  • Reply 43 of 46
    123Go123Go Posts: 19member
    I hope some kids gets access to these tools and tinkers with some broken phones and develops a love for engineering and tech. Hell I’d love to have a crack at it myself just for fun. 
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Right to repair should be about enabling third party repair options. Anybody that wants to buy specialized tools and repair devices as a business should be allowed to. It should not be about making everything in the world fixable with no more then a screwdriver. 
  • Reply 45 of 46
    tyler82 said:
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    When is the last time you performed ignition timing on your vehicle.  Or swapped out a bad wrist pin on a piston?  Some folks have the tools to do these jobs at home, but they aren’t free or cheap.  Nor are the instructions simple. 
    Do those folks rent them a week at a time, with the replacement cost up front, and “a fee and a tax” if they need them any longer than a week?

As I said, more complicated than it needs to be, to fuel Apple’s control freakery and Nicole and diming.
    Nicole? Yes, that's pretty much how it goes if you rent automotive repair tools… Checks a few sites… deposit = purchase price.
    A 1 ton piece of complicated equipment with an internal combustion engine vs. a 10 oz. handheld device.
    Yep, totally apples and apples comparison.
    They both require expensive tools owned or rented for many repairs. You are going to find the on the big and small side of devices. Nobody is going to buy a device that gets half the battery life for the size because it’s made super modular and accessible. Companies have tried that in the Android space and there was no consumer interest.
    MplsP
  • Reply 46 of 46
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Paul_B said:
    Paul_B said:
    mknelson said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Who Rents Automotive repair tools?  You either own them and don't need a manual to fix the automobile, because you've either been taught, or a mechanic friend helps.  I don't know of a single place that rents a lift, and you have to be a ticketed mechanic to buy the diagnostic computer or get one on the black market.  My brakes on my Challenger Skat Pack are worth more that 4 iPhones, my Bridgestone tires are worth 2 iPhones.  iPhones are pennies compared to most useful products.  My Tenor Selmar Sax is worth six iPhones.  Are we talking pennies or Dollars?
    Who rents automotive tools?

Me, from my local AutoZone; when I have to pull a Flywheel or Main Pulley once every 20 years.

And I don't even play Sax; but I know it's Selmer; not Selmar!

Wow an innocent spelling mistake.  That's all you got.  "I do, from my local AutoZone" - Not ME.  I'm not writing about a Jack lift, I'm writing about a real lift - Those lifts you can work under the vehicle standing up.  My Gas stove is worth more than an iPhone.  Why do people run a muck over $100?

There's a shop in my town that rents lifts.  In fact, that's their entire business model, for $25/hour they rent you a garage bay with a lift and tools so you can work on your own car.