Compared: Apple Maps versus Google Maps in 2022

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Would love to see an Apple Maps vs Google Maps vs Waze shootout for routing and ETA accuracy. My impression is that Apple Maps trails by a lot in users, so its real time traffic data and routing efficiency — especially in heavy traffic cities — can’t compete with Waze (especially) or Google. 
    Ofermaltz
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Beats said:

Or I search a local business with a name of a park in Canada and it shows me the park 800 miles away instead of the Cafe down the street when I’m WALKING!!!

Yeah. I was in New York City and searched for an address on 35th St. It showed me that address in St. Louis!
    Ofer
  • Reply 23 of 42
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 132member
    Apple maps + Yelp. That's why I end up using Google when looking for restaurants, etc. I do like Apple better for road trips. If anyone really wants a disaster, get Tesla navigation in this discussion. I've had my new car a few months and every single day I get more disappointed in Tesla. It tried to get me to drive down a horse path (seriously) the other day. I looked at the road and pulled up Apple maps. 
  • Reply 24 of 42
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    As a postal worker I find I use both apps. I use Apple Maps to find where something is because here in New Zealand Google Maps can’t find crap. Apple Maps is far superior.

However, Google Maps’ display of house numbers comes in very handy when I’m making run lists. If Apple Maps displayed house numbers when you zoom in I’d never look at Google Maps EVER.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    I have no interest in people’s comments on locations or any other ‘fluff’ Google adds. I also do not want to be associated with routes or my debit card for Google’s benefit. A mapping app helps me get from point A to point B in the shortest time without using my data for its ads. Full stop. So it’s Apple Maps for me. 
  • Reply 26 of 42
    drewsaurdrewsaur Posts: 8member
    I have always found that Google’s famed superiority is true only in major urban areas, where most of these comparisons are always made. In rural areas, Apple has provided more accurate and up to date information than Google from almost day one. 
  • Reply 27 of 42
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    I do know that Apple maps somehow worked in central PA with no cell signal, we could see the car’s blue dot and the unnamed roads well enough to get out to the highway. Was impressed. 
    I would be interested in a comparison with Mapquest.
    dutchlord
  • Reply 28 of 42
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 206member
    Apple maps is improving but still far behind Google maps. However, I try already for three years to repair my home adress which point to the wrong location. Google does not respond. Three to four time a week a delivery service rings on my doorbell but went to the wrong adress. Very annoying. Furthermore, I experienced very weird routings from google maps the last months. As of they changed their algoritm. Therfore I choose other mapping apps instead.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 692member
    The article doesn't mention anything on Google Plus Code address. This is useful when finding parking garage entrance in a city. The official address is usually hit or miss because it's usually an office address. For driver, Plus Code is more useful. See example below:

Prudential Center Parking Garage in Boston, MA

General address:
    111 Huntington Avenue
    800 Boylston St
    Boston, MA 02199

Google Plus Code for garage entrance for driver:
    8WX9+9Q, Boston, Massachusetts

Apple Map coordination for garage entrance for driver:
    42.34884° N, 71.08061° W, Boston MA 02199

To obtain Apple version of exact location coordination, use Drop Pin manually to find out the entrance if you know where the entrance is. Where as Google Map is already pre-defined on their map site so it's easier to get and you don't have to guess. Google Maps wins on this feature.
    ronald_schoedel
  • Reply 30 of 42
    The article doesn't mention anything on Google Plus Code address. This is useful when finding parking garage entrance in a city. The official address is usually hit or miss because it's usually an office address. For driver, Plus Code is more useful. See example below:

General address:
    111 Huntington Avenue
    800 Boylston St
    Boston, MA 02199

To obtain Apple version of exact location coordination, use Drop Pin manually to find out the entrance if you know where the entrance is. Where as Google Map is already pre-defined on their map site so it's easier to get and you don't have to guess. Google Maps wins on this feature.
    Have you tried What 3 Words? They’ve mapped every single 3 meter square of earth with a three word phrase, such that you can tell someone the precise spot on earth and navigate there, such as an entrance to a car park, a front door, a particular campsite, or—and this is quite novel and helpful—where your nomadic family might be set up at the moment in the steppes of Mongolia (where W3W has become quite popular). Emergency services in the UK also use it. It’s much easier to give a W3W location that try to remember how many miles past the last junction you are. 

Check it out. Pretty cool stuff, and it integrates with any mapping service for navigation purposes. 
    ravnorodomOfer
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Dogperson said:
    I do know that Apple maps somehow worked in central PA with no cell signal, we could see the car’s blue dot and the unnamed roads well enough to get out to the highway. Was impressed. 
    If you’ve preloaded the directions in Apple Maps, it should cache the mapping time graphics which allows this to work well. I love it. 

If I am starting out navigation in a location with no mobile signal, my go-to is Here We Go, from Nokia and Tom-Tom. It’s free and allows you to download maps in advance for offline use. 
  • Reply 32 of 42
    v. Pure Maps Linux 
  • Reply 33 of 42
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I love the design of Apple Maps. I would love to be using Apple Maps

Me: Let me try using Apple Maps again. Drive Work->Home. Starting the navigation and driving with Apple maps.
    Apple Maps: Drive Left, it takes only 42 minutes.
    Me: No way. Turn right. (This is what Google Maps has always shown me).
    Apple Maps: Recalculating. After 3 seconds: On this road it only takes 35 minutes.
    Me: Back to using Google Maps.

Several months back (testing Apple Maps once in a while regularly):
    Apple Maps is just worse navigation in Germany: Led me this Christmas to the field and no way out. Google Maps has shown the ‘normal’ and good road.
    Apple maps announces me every time (2 times a day) that I am going the enter the environmental protection zone (City with a requirement to have a not very old and dirty engine), and that I should have a permit for it (which all cars in the city have any way). Why should I listen to it every time, every day, two times a day (->work, ->home)? I have no option to switch it off. So annoying.
    Back to using Google Maps.
    Ofer
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    One area where Google Maps shines is that I can download and store maps offline so that I still have navigation when not in a cell-reception area. Apple Maps does not permit offline maps downloads.

Yes, Apple can probably still navigate me to my destination once the route is loaded, but what happens when my destination has n0o cell service and I want to navigate from there to somewhere?

Cheers
    Ofer
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Dogperson said:
    If you’ve preloaded the directions in Apple Maps, it should cache the mapping time graphics which allows this to work well. I love it. 

If I am starting out navigation in a location with no mobile signal, my go-to is Here We Go, from Nokia and Tom-Tom. It’s free and allows you to download maps in advance for offline use. 
    Google Maps can do the same. Go to: User icon on the upper right > Offline maps > Select Your Own Map > (select your desired place anywhere on earth). After it's downloaded, you can re-name the downloaded map to anything (for instance: Singapore). You can also download multiple maps and as many as your iPhone can hold. It's perfect for traveling multi-national destinations. So you can have Singapore, Brazil, France, San Francisco, CA.... etc. Google Maps will also update them if there are changes. You can delete them later after you are done traveling to save space and to avoid Google Maps nagging on map updates every few months.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 36 of 42

General address:
    111 Huntington Avenue
    800 Boylston St
    Boston, MA 02199

Have you tried What 3 Words? They’ve mapped every single 3 meter square of earth with a three word phrase, such that you can tell someone the precise spot on earth and navigate there, such as an entrance to a car park, a front door, a particular campsite, or—and this is quite novel and helpful—where your nomadic family might be set up at the moment in the steppes of Mongolia (where W3W has become quite popular). Emergency services in the UK also use it. It’s much easier to give a W3W location that try to remember how many miles past the last junction you are. 

Check it out. Pretty cool stuff, and it integrates with any mapping service for navigation purposes. 
    Very interest stuffs. If anyone else is curious, it's "what3words.com". Funny it's compatible with Google Maps, Waze, Bing Maps and Citymapper except Apple Maps. "what3words" uses Google Maps as their base map so it's understandable.
    Ofer
  • Reply 37 of 42
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    I’ve been using Apple Maps since it’s introduction. Over the years I have travelled (urban and rural) through PA, FL, VA, MD, CA, NYC, MA, MI, OH, and England (greater London area) and, except for a handful of issues the first year or so, it’s been totally fine. For many years I’ve not had any issues with directions and locations.

However, I do really wish you could add a stop at any location during directions. That is the only thing I’m jealous about with Google Maps.
    Ofer
  • Reply 38 of 42
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    Google Map is vastly superior in the Netherlands. I don’t even bother opening Apple Maps. I do like the fact Apple’s app feels more responsive and direct, but in the end I can’t rely on it.
    grandact73
  • Reply 39 of 42
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,120member
    Ofer said:
    You’re missing another major differentiator in this article: the ability to add multiple stops on your trip (and a list of options for businesses that shows you which location is closest to your current route). As much as I like Apple’s products, I keep going back to Waze for this feature.
    No, they didn't miss that one.  Search the article for "trip planning".  The section is brief, but there's really not much to say on the subject except that Google has it and Apple doesn't.

Add in way points/trip planning (GM is better), bike paths in flyover country (GM is better), and quicker/better routing around problems (Waze is better), and I'll move to Apple Maps in a heartbeat, even without some of the other nice to have features, e.g. upcoming gas stations, mentioned here.
    Ofer
  • Reply 40 of 42
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    I’m generally happy with Apple Maps for driving directions, but wish it had a pause button. When you get off your route to eat, or get fuel or whatever, it keeps nagging you to return to the route. A pause button to suspend that without ending the route would be good.
    Oferbeowulfschmidt