Compared: Apple Studio Display vs Alogic Clarity Monitor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2022
Alogic's first monitor, Clarity, echoes Apple's styling in many ways. While the Studio Display has incredible picture quality, Alogic aims for more flexibility.

Alogic's Clarity display (right), Apple's Studio Display (left)
Alogic's Clarity display (right), Apple's Studio Display (left)

Monitors aren't an area of computing where there's much room for companies to innovate. For new display vendors entering the space, that makes providing innovation, or at least something to separate its products from others on the market, that much harder to accomplish.

With the introduction of the Alogic Clarity, the company's first display, the company has come up with something that takes a lot of design cues from Apple. At the same time, it introduces some party tricks that could give productivity experts something to think about.

The Clarity is billed as an "enterprise-class display for households and businesses" and a "formidable alternative to some of the best-known and highest-priced monitors available today."

Naturally, with that bold statement and the Apple Studio Display-style appearance, the Alogic Clarity is practically begging to be placed against the tech giant's premium offering.

Specifications

SpecificationsApple
Studio Display
Alogic
Clarity 27-inch
Size (inches)2727
Resolution (pixels)5120 by 28803840 by 2160
Color rangeP31.07 Billion Colors
BacklightingLEDQD
HDRNoneHDR 600
Peak brightness600 nits400 nits
Contrast Ratio1,200:11,000,000:1
Refesh Rate60Hz60Hz
True ToneYesNo
Webcam12MP ultra-wideNo
Ports1xThunderbolt 3,
3xUSB-C
2xHDMI 2.0,
1xDisplayPort 1.4,
1xUSB Type-C,
2xUSB-A,
1xUSB-B,
Headphone Jack
Audio6-speaker systemStereo 5W Speakers,
Headphone Jack
MicrophoneYes, array of threeNo
Nano-textureYes, OptionalNo
Stand optionstilt,
tilt + height,
VESA
Tilt, rotation, and swivel stand,
VESA
Other Features96W host chargingRotatable with auto detection
178-degree viewing angle
90W Power Delivery
Price$1,599$799.99

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: Design and Dimensions

Both Alogic and Apple have gone with a design that is quite simple: a large 27-inch display with thin bezels placed on a stand with a hole in it. They both opt for black bezels and have similar color stylings, but that's where the two go in separate directions.

For a start, Alogic has gone for a different style of stand to Apple's creation, opting for a more tubular design than the flatter Apple version.

While Apple went for a flat slab-style screen unit to match its usual design aesthetic, Alogic's version certainly looks thin, but not if you look too closely from the side. The back section of the enclosure curves around and thickens the display, so it only looks thin at the main viewing angles.

From the right angle, the Alogic Clarity looks very thin.
From the right angle, the Alogic Clarity looks very thin.

The Apple Studio Display has a height of 18.8 inches, a width of 24.5 inches, and measures 6.6 inches deep with the default tilt-adjustable stand. On its alternate tilt- and height-adjustable stand, it has a maximum height of 23 inches and a minimum of 18.8 inches, a deeper 8.1-inch footprint, but the same width.

The Alogic Clarity is 565mm (22.2 inches) tall, 624mm (24.5 inches) wide, and 220mm (8.66 inches) deep, making it as wide as Apple's version and sits taller than the default tilt stand, but it takes up a little bit more depth of the desk itself. The stand's base is flat, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for most users in reality.

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: The Screen

The two displays share the same screen size, at a diagonal of 27 inches. With a reasonably thin bezel, the two are framed reasonably similarly.

Things start to differ in resolution, as Apple's Studio Display has a 5K resolution of 5,120 by 2,880 pixels, versus the 4K Alogic at 3,840 by 2,160 pixels. This equals pixel densities of 218 pixels per inch for the Studio Display and 163ppi for the Clarity, which falls in Apple's favor.

Apple also leads in peak brightness, at 600 nits of peak brightness to 400nits for the Alogic. However, Alogic also claims its IPS monitor supports HDR 600 content, which effectively means it can output a peak of 600 nits for HDR content. Apple doesn't claim the Studio Display can handle HDR.

Both screens use standard and well-used TFT LCD technology with LED backlights rather than the miniLED you get with the Pro Display XDR.

Quantum Dot LED technology is used for a light and crisp image on the Alogic Clarity.
Quantum Dot LED technology is used for a light and crisp image on the Alogic Clarity.

The Clarity does differ in that it does offer the Pro Display XDR's localized dimming, albeit to just 24 zones. It also uses QLED (Quantum Dot LED) technology, to produce brighter and more vibrant colors than usual, further helping Alogic's cause.

The QLED technology and localized dimming that Alogic uses do offer a claimed contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1, which seems very high compared to the Studio Display's 1,200:1 contrast ratio.

Alogic Clarity's display looks great
Alogic Clarity's display looks great

Both displays operate with a 60Hz refresh rate, which is relatively limiting compared to many other monitors on the market capable of triple-digit refresh rates.

In terms of picture support, Apple says its display supports 1 billion colors with Wide Color (P3) and True Tone. It is also able to operate in several different reference modes, including various P3 options and sRGB.

Alogic says its display can handle 1.07 billion colors, with 100% sRGB coverage, 97% DCI-P3, and 99% Adobe RGB.

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: Connectivity

Both monitors have ample connection options, though with pretty different approaches.

In the case of the Studio Display, there are just four connections on the back, consisting of a Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to a Mac and three USB-C ports for peripherals. These are all placed in an easy-to-see section on the back panel.

That Thunderbolt 3 connection is used for multiple elements, including video, data for the ports, and power delivery of up to 96W. The last point is handy if you want to have a single-cable connection to a MacBook Pro and want to recharge it.

Clarity ports
Clarity ports

The Alogic Clarity goes down the more conventional display route in offering a mass of connection options. This includes a pair of HDMI ports, one DisplayPort, and USB-C, with the last one offering similar data, video, and power delivery at up to 90W.

There are a few other connections on the Clarity, with a USB-B port and two USB-A enabling it to function as a USB hub. There's also an audio jack, if you didn't want to use the built-in speakers.

Alogic positioned these ports on the back panel, right underneath where the stand connects to the display. This may be a little harder to access, but the stand's flexibility should make it easy enough to use.

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: Cameras and Audio

The difference is simple on the video front: Apple included a camera in the Studio Display, but while Alogic didn't.

Apple's webcam is a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide imaging device, which benefits from advanced image signal processing from the M1 chip in Macs. It also supports Center Stage, Apple's system for keeping users in the middle of the cropped image for video conferencing purposes.

For audio inputs, Apple includes an array of three "studio-quality" microphones with a high signal-to-noise ratio and directional beamforming and even "Hey Siri" support.

You're gonna have to add a separate webcam if you go for the Alogic Clarity.
You're gonna have to add a separate webcam if you go for the Alogic Clarity.

You won't get any of that with the Alogic, unless you add a third-party webcam and microphone to the mix.

For audio outputs, Apple's Studio Display uses a six-speaker system with force-canceling woofers, a wide stereo sound, and support for Spatial Audio for Dolby Atmos content.

Alogic's Clarity is described as having two 5W speakers. There is, however, a headphone jack, so users can listen to music via the display or even connect external speakers.

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: Stands and Rotation

Apple offers two different styles of stand for the Studio Display. The standard tilt-adjustable version consists of an L-shaped bracket with a simple hinge at the top. If you want to adjust the height, you could always spring an extra $400 for the tilt- and height-adjustable stand, which gives you enough vertical movement to go from 18.8 inches tall to 23 inches.

In an attempt to be more user-friendly, Alogic's stand offers a lot more without needing extra outlay. This includes adjusting the height, tilting the screen, swiveling it from side to side, and its bigger party trick, rotation.

This last element allows you to use the Alogic Clarity in portrait and landscape orientations using the supplied stand. What's more, a gravity sensor built into the display can detect how it rotates, adjusting the picture to match its orientation.

The ports on the back of the Alogic Clarity are easily accessible due to its flexible and rotatable stand.
The ports on the back of the Alogic Clarity are easily accessible due to its flexible and rotatable stand.

With the ergonomics of monitor movement, Alogic also adds IPS into the mix, boasting viewing angles of up to 178 degrees on horizontal and vertical viewing axes. It'll take a lot not to be able to see what's on the screen, regardless of where it is pointed or its orientation.

If you want to go down the route of a third-party VESA arm, you can, but you will have to get the required VESA mount from Apple.

Alogic Clarity vs Apple Studio Display: Pricing

Apple sells the standard Studio Display with the default tilt or the VESA mount for $1,599. If you want the tilt and height-adjustable stand, that's an extra $400.

There's one more option for the Studio Display: upgrading from standard glass to Nano-texture glass, which makes the glass less reflective. That's a $300 add-on, regardless of the mount.

If you go for the most expensive options for the Studio Display, you're spending $2,299.

Alogic sells the Clarity for $799.99.

Ergonomically Sound

It's hard not to see the Alogic Clarity as a decent monitor option for users, as there are a lot of good things brought to the table. That's even true against the Apple Studio Display.

Sure, the Studio Display has a 5K screen against the Clarity's 4K and a greater focus on offering users as many picture options as it can muster. The Alogic monitor can't really beat Apple there, but it's still got a decent-resolution display, good brightness and sufficient contrast, which most people should be fine with.

Audio isn't in Alogic's favor, nor is the lack of a camera, but the headphone jack is always a welcome addition.

Alogic's Clarity is a good alternative to the Apple Studio Display if you want a cheaper and more ergonomic solution.
Alogic's Clarity is a good alternative to the Apple Studio Display if you want a cheaper and more ergonomic solution.

Where the Alogic Clarity does succeed is in two definitive areas.

For a start, it's a lot cheaper than the Studio Display, as is a considerable chunk of the monitor market at large. If you're looking for an adequate display that looks Apple-ish without the Apple premium, the Alogic Clarity is a decent choice.

The other is in ergonomics. Including a stand that offers far more degrees of movement, with portrait orientations complete with automatic detection, this gives Alogic a checkmark in its column.

Sure, you could get some of the way with Apple's premium stand option or simply go for a third-party arm from the beginning, but since it's included in the basic mount, that's a big plus.

The brand loyal will stick with the Apple Studio Display. Those needing excellent picture quality will also look at the Studio Display and strongly consider if the expense of the Pro Display XDR is worth it.

For the budget-focused and those who want a good display that can move with the user's whims, the Alogic Clarity is transparently the better option.

Where to Buy

The Alogic Clarity is currently on sale in Australia, but the company hopes to start sales in the United States soon.

For a limited time, AppleInsider readers can save $50 on AppleCare for the Apple Studio Display at Apple Authorized Reseller Adorama. To activate the promotion, you must shop through this cost-saving activation link and enter promo code APINSIDER during checkout. Step-by-step activation instructions can be found on this help page.

Want to see how the offer stacks up against other Apple resellers? Find the latest prices and deals in our Apple Display Price Guide.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    There isn’t anything that competes directly with the 5K iMac, LG UltraFine 5K 1st and 2nd Gen, and now apple studio display. 
    roundaboutnowrob53docno42jony0
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If you want something cheaper then don’t consider Apple gear to begin with. There’s a plethora of cheaper options available to you that will satisfy your need for low cost. Get a PC and a monitor for a third the price and quit agonizing over overpriced Apple gear. It’s really simple
    rob53jony0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    ransonranson Posts: 69member
    lkrupp said:
    If you want something cheaper then don’t consider Apple gear to begin with. There’s a plethora of cheaper options available to you that will satisfy your need for low cost. Get a PC and a monitor for a third the price and quit agonizing over overpriced Apple gear. It’s really simple
    You are really saucy all over the forums today, aren't ya?  :)   Maybe try not so hard to wrongly assume so much about others. Did the Author of this piece (or the only other poster before you) say anything about agonizing over Apple gear? Didn't think so.

The piece is great - both informative and accurate. Even if someone "wants something cheaper" it is always prudent to compare specs and understand exactly what your money is paying for in relation to other options. I have a Studio Display w/ nanotexture, but I might not opt for a second one, so this piece can inform me about whether the Alogic would be a good compliment as a secondary screen. I certainly would not get on the forums and start wagging my finger at the air over it.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPentropys
  • Reply 4 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    You are really saucy all over the forums today, aren't ya?  :)   Maybe try not so hard to wrongly assume so much about others. Did the Author of this piece (or the only other poster before you) say anything about agonizing over Apple gear? Didn't think so.

The piece is great - both informative and accurate. Even if someone "wants something cheaper" it is always prudent to compare specs and understand exactly what your money is paying for in relation to other options. I have a Studio Display w/ nanotexture, but I might not opt for a second one, so this piece can inform me about whether the Alogic would be a good compliment as a secondary screen. 

I certainly would not get on the forums and start wagging my finger at the air over it.
    And yet here you are, wagging away.  

docno42jony0
  • Reply 5 of 23
    whodatkat said:
    lkrupp said:

The piece is great - both informative and accurate. Even if someone "wants something cheaper" it is always prudent to compare specs and understand exactly what your money is paying for in relation to other options. I have a Studio Display w/ nanotexture, but I might not opt for a second one, so this piece can inform me about whether the Alogic would be a good compliment as a secondary screen. 

I certainly would not get on the forums and start wagging my finger at the air over it.
    And yet here you are, wagging away.  

I would think you would be awfully disappointed comparing a 5K display to a 4K display.  And there are a lot of cheap 4K displays.  Last one I got was Samsung for about three hundred dollars. I really wonder why Apple Insider compares so many 4K displays with Apple’s 5K.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah, this article is about one.  It's really helpful.  Unlike your constant misery.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 7 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I wish the Studio Display was able to rotate into portrait mode, it's really convenient for when jumping from design to coding
  • Reply 8 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    "Both monitors have ample connection options ... In the case of the Studio Display, there are just four connections on the back"

They seem to contradict themselves. The studio display basically offers itself as a 
    thunderbolt hub whereas the Alogic allows multiple video inputs and serves as a USB hub. A single style of video input isn't a huge deal for a desktop monitor since you'll likely get the desired dongle adapter and be done, but the Alogic does eliminate that need and if you need to connect more than one device it will be much easier.

• Reply 9 of 23
    I wish the Studio Display was able to rotate into portrait mode, it's really convenient for when jumping from design to coding
    yeah, you'd figure that a stand that costs more than many 4k monitors would do more than tilt and go up and down.

ranson said:
    lkrupp said:

The piece is great - both informative and accurate. Even if someone "wants something cheaper" it is always prudent to compare specs and understand exactly what your money is paying for in relation to other options. I have a Studio Display w/ nanotexture, but I might not opt for a second one, so this piece can inform me about whether the Alogic would be a good compliment as a secondary screen. I certainly would not get on the forums and start wagging my finger at the air over it.
    It's not just today, that's pretty much the only type of post he makes. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I wish that Apple would make a version of this monitor without camera, speakers, and power supply (for charging laptops).  Just the display and dock.  Many of us have multiple monitors attached.  My desktop iMac here at the office has two Apple Thunderbolt2 displays.  I absolutely love them.  Then only drawback is that as two additional displays that will never be connected to a MacBook, they generate a ton of heat due to that power supply that really never gets used, and when I zoom call, I have to occasionally reset the camera choice to my main iMac as having three camera (and speakers) to choose from gets a bit overwhelming.

I'd like Apple's high-quality monitor, and only that.  The LG monitor - while the same panel - just looks like junk.  I do expect to pay more for that Apple design and quality.
    MplsPsteve_jobsmichelb76
  • Reply 11 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This seems nice. I don’t know how long it will hold up, being from a new manufacturer. the spec for apple's HDR is state3d wrongly though., the 600 rating is the TV industries HDR. its not really HDR, but as TV OLED screens can't get much above that, for marketing purposes it was decided to call it HDR. that's why apple upped the max brightness from the iMac's 500 nits. so both monitors are the same in that spec.

I did get mine in, after the saga, ahead of time, or at least, ahead of the second delay. I'm pretty happy with it. the camera isn't nearly as "bad" as claimed, about average. the speakers are very good though. the screen quality is excellent, as would be expected. the build quality is what should be expected in a professional class monitor. well actually, its better.
    steve_jobsMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 12 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    At 4K think I would recommend  the Dell U2723QE, a little bit dearer at USD$750 or so, but has double the contrast of the Studio and a lot more ports including KVM and multi ‘puter display compared with the Alogic. I find it hard to believe the Alogic QLED is a 1000000:1 contrast.

oh, btw the Australia price of AUD$899 for the Alogic includes GST so you need to take that off first (AUD$818) before converting to USD. At current exchange rate it’s USD$575. So if you don’t need all the ports of the Dell and its double contrast the Alogic could be a good buy.
    edited May 2022 MplsP
  • Reply 13 of 23
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 242member
    In previous years, the Apple premium was for excellence in design. Now Jobs and Ive have gone, and new products are feeding through, that is no longer the case. Apple are starting to put out mediocre products, bigger, heavier and more expensive than those they replace. The Mac Studio should have been a Mac Mini. The Studio display should have been exactly the Pro Display but at one third of the price. Apple will continue with a momentum of brand loyalty but these mediocre products are slowing the flywheel and if they continue without design excellence, their USP will expire and the the flywheel will lose all its momentum. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 14 of 23
    abridenabriden Posts: 23member
    Alogic's first monitor, Clarity, echoes Apple's styling in many ways....
    After that ridiculous opening I didn't feel inclined to read the rest of the article.

edited May 2022
  • Reply 15 of 23
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    timmillea said:
    In previous years, the Apple premium was for excellence in design. Now Jobs and Ive have gone, and new products are feeding through, that is no longer the case. Apple are starting to put out mediocre products, bigger, heavier and more expensive than those they replace. The Mac Studio should have been a Mac Mini. The Studio display should have been exactly the Pro Display but at one third of the price. Apple will continue with a momentum of brand loyalty but these mediocre products are slowing the flywheel and if they continue without design excellence, their USP will expire and the the flywheel will lose all its momentum. 
    I'm sure that Apple, Dell, Samsung, LG are all anxiously waiting for your CV because you figured out how to make a 6K monitor with, what is it, 500 local dimming zones, at $2000, while the rest of those loosers are still hacking away at only 4K and 5K monitors.  
    We're all waiting with bated breath for your solution to come out.
    docno42jony0
  • Reply 16 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    lkrupp said:
    TheObannonFile said:
    There isn’t anything that competes directly with the 5K iMac, LG UltraFine 5K 1st and 2nd Gen, and now apple studio display. 
    All you posters complaining about @lkrupp and @TheObannonFile ;comments don't understand what Apple provides and what AI continues to present to try and stay relevant. Once you've had a 5K iMac you don't want to go back to the garbage other display companies are trying to sell Mac users. Apple's Studio Display is the only 5K display to get if you have a Mac. AI needs to quit trying to find cheap options with inferior specs. Specs don't always tell the truth about anything but once you've seen the Studio Display in person (I have) you'll start drooling and know there's no other choice. Even @melgross ;treads lightly but still says the Studio Display is the best. People pick things apart to get clicks and make themselves look important but I've been buying Macs (in quantity as well as personally) since 1989 and there hasn't seen a better personal computer built than what Apple built in the last 40 years. This even includes the non-Jobs builds that were better than the cheap junk PCs during that time. 
    docno42jony0TheObannonFile
  • Reply 17 of 23
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    TheObannonFile said:
    All you posters complaining about @lkrupp and @TheObannonFile ;comments don't understand what Apple provides and what AI continues to present to try and stay relevant. Once you've had a 5K iMac you don't want to go back to the garbage other display companies are trying to sell Mac users. Apple's Studio Display is the only 5K display to get if you have a Mac. AI needs to quit trying to find cheap options with inferior specs. Specs don't always tell the truth about anything but once you've seen the Studio Display in person (I have) you'll start drooling and know there's no other choice. Even @melgross ;treads lightly but still says the Studio Display is the best. People pick things apart to get clicks and make themselves look important but I've been buying Macs (in quantity as well as personally) since 1989 and there hasn't seen a better personal computer built than what Apple built in the last 40 years. This even includes the non-Jobs builds that were better than the cheap junk PCs during that time. 
    The problem is, the 5k monitor market is as thin as the 4k market is crowded. I get what AI is trying to do, but it’s hard when there’s so little in the same class to compare. 
  • Reply 18 of 23
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    I scroll down to the resolution and don't see 5K on the non-Apple device.
    I stop reading as there is no point.
    docno42jony0ken burns effect
  • Reply 19 of 23
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 610member
    timmillea said:
    Oh god, not this bullshit again.
    docno42jony0
  • Reply 20 of 23
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    Here’s my comparison of the Apple Studio Display and KFC’s Chicken Tenders. 

The Apple Studio Display has a 5K resolution, which makes it unique among computer monitors: in fact, the only comparable product is the LG UltraFine 5K. The KFC Chicken Tenders certainly cannot match that resolution, and they also lack some more essential features, such as connectivity, or a webcam. Actually, the KFC is hardly competitive at all with the Studio Display as it lacks speakers, and in our testing, we haven’t been able to make it display any image, with the exception of fried chicken breasts, which, however, looked great. 

The KFC easily wins on flavor and crunchiness, where the Studio Display simply doesn’t cut it at all. It’s extremely difficult to bite, and the flavor is subpar as well. 

This is especially surprising since the Chicken Tenders cost about a dollar per piece, whereas the base model of the Studio Display retails for $1600. This shows how much out of touch Apple is these days. 

Okay… if you’ve got this far, here’s my point: you don’t compare a dime-a-dozen 4K display with one of the literally two 5Ks that exist in the market. One is retina, the other is absolutely not. 
    edited May 2022 jony0ken burns effect