Apple promises changes in Final Cut Pro after video editor complaints

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has responded to an open letter from video editors and filmmaking professionals, pledging to incorporate requested features into Final Cut Pro.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Back in April, a collection of Final Cut Pro users penned an open letter to Apple asking the company to do more to promote the video editing platform to the TV and film industry, as well as incorporate new features. On Thursday, Apple officially responded.

"To the authors of the recent open letter regarding Final Cut Pro in the TV and film industry: the creative community has always been so important to us at Apple, and we're grateful for your feedback," Apple wrote.

The company added that it "has plans in place" to address some of the feature requests. It also added that it recognizes the need to work alongside video editors to support film and TV projects.

Apple says it will begin offering certifications for professional video editing in May. It will also establish a panel of industry experts in the summer and expand the content and frequency of Final Cut Pro workshops for film and television events.

The original open letter back in April aired a handful of grievances about Final Cut Pro, including the fact that its usage in the professional TV and film industries had died off since the 2000s. It also argued for Apple to add the "few remaining features our industry has consistently stated are needed."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I just want FCPX to work on my machine again. Ever since I updated to the new MacOS FCPX decided to stop working, no matter what I do, and it’s damn near ruined my productivity. I could honestly care less about new features right now - I just want my editing program back. Ive used it for nearly a decade and have never come across this issue. I’ve now been forced to use the alternative since this all happened… Premiere Pro *shivers*. 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    I just want FCPX to work on my machine again. Ever since I updated to the new MacOS FCPX decided to stop working, no matter what I do, and it’s damn near ruined my productivity. I could honestly care less about new features right now - I just want my editing program back. Ive used it for nearly a decade and have never come across this issue. I’ve now been forced to use the alternative since this all happened… Premiere Pro *shivers*. 
    Did you run the latest final cut update?   I saw one pop up a few days ago but have not installed myself yet.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member

Sounds like a corrupt or missing file or codec. Does it not work at all or just crashes at some point on the time line.
    edited May 2022 CluntBaby92
  • Reply 4 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    One of Apple's biggest problems has always been commitment to projects and communication so it is good to see them giving a public reply.

It's about time though that they began making communication with pro users a priority in their pro software approach.

An open letter should never have been necessary. Nor the headaches caused by file format and missing features in the move to FCPX. That was a huge disaster for many. 
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 18
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    avon b7 said:
    One of Apple's biggest problems has always been commitment to projects and communication so it is good to see them giving a public reply.

It's about time though that they began making communication with pro users a priority in their pro software approach.

An open letter should never have been necessary. Nor the headaches caused by file format and missing features in the move to FCPX. That was a huge disaster for many. 
    Apple has a habit of being rather "courageous" in the pro space when that is the last thing people who have highly optimised workflows tuned over many years want. When Apple abandoned the original FCP for FCPX there was uproar because half the features were missing and none of the plugins worked. Many, many places abandoned it for Avid or Premiere (notably the BBC made a wholesale switch). A similar thing happened way back in 2002 with Shake. It was the industry standard for SFX. Apple bought it,  then left it to wither and die. Professionals need to know what's going on so they can plan. No one wants to spend $10k on a program (nor hardware) that has no future. Apple's secrecy is pretty pointless these days anyway since everything gets leaked. So much for Cook's "doubling down" on secrecy.
    Alex1Ndocno42
  • Reply 6 of 18
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    elijahg said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple has a habit of being rather "courageous" in the pro space when that is the last thing people who have highly optimised workflows tuned over many years want. When Apple abandoned the original FCP for FCPX there was uproar because half the features were missing and none of the plugins worked. Many, many places abandoned it for Avid or Premiere (notably the BBC made a wholesale switch). A similar thing happened way back in 2002 with Shake. It was the industry standard for SFX. Apple bought it,  then left it to wither and die. Professionals need to know what's going on so they can plan. No one wants to spend $10k on a program (nor hardware) that has no future. Apple's secrecy is pretty pointless these days anyway since everything gets leaked. So much for Cook's "doubling down" on secrecy.
    They have managed some surprises in recent times. 
    danox
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Just go an update today. version 10.6.3.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 8 of 18
    FCPX forced us to switch to Premier.
    Premier got bloated- and wasn't that great.
    Then we started using Blackmagic designs DaVinci Resolve to edit. Never going back.
    Apple's only option at this point is to buy BMD.
    CluntBaby92elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say pro apps are a hedge against developers (like avid) dropping or neglecting mac support and that informs decisions and the level of committment. For example Aperture vs Adobe. Logic vs Ableton. and even Pages, Numbers, etc and Microsoft Office. Apple apps will probably always be one stop behind to strategically balance competitive needs with the potential to undercut developers. After choosing Aperture over Adone Lightroom and watching Aperture die a long slow death, I don't see myself using Apple native apps for pro needs, ever again.
    edited May 2022 Alex1Nelijahg
  • Reply 10 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    elijahg said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple’s software efforts haven’t been close to what they were in the past for individual in house non OS type programs, they are far too worried about sales/marketing position.

Two steps forward one step back is the new Apple…..
    elijahg
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say pro apps are a hedge against developers (like avid) dropping or neglecting mac support and that informs decisions and the level of committment. For example Aperture vs Adobe. Logic vs Ableton. and even Pages, Numbers, etc and Microsoft Office.

Final cut was a Macromedia app. Apple got the app because Avid dropped Mac support. That hurt Avid more than Apple and Avid stock dropped like a rock.

• Reply 12 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say pro apps are a hedge against developers (like avid) dropping or neglecting mac support and that informs decisions and the level of committment. For example Aperture vs Adobe. Logic vs Ableton. and even Pages, Numbers, etc and Microsoft Office. Apple apps will probably always be one stop behind to strategically balance competitive needs with the potential to undercut developers. After choosing Aperture over lightroom and watching that die a long slow death, I don't see myself using Apple native apps for pro needs, ever again.
    Like Apple’s iMessage, Apple Maps or ApplePay was a hedge against other message, map programs and pay systems that were not supporting the iPhone or the Mac, Apple isn’t going to sit on the side lines, they will roll up their sleeves. In house OS and hardware combined is where the big bucks are made everything else is in support of that.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    killroy said:
    “Sounds like a corrupt or missing file or codec. Does it not work at all or just crashes at some point on the time line.”
    It refuses to open at all. I’m able to click the icon to open it and it just crashes and doesn’t open at all. I’ve tried clearing the cache and deleting/reinstalling it a few times and nothing works. I was told never update while working on other projects and this is exactly why - I had maybe 2-3 ongoing projects I was working on in FCPX and had to restart them in Premiere and it’s been… unpleasant to say the least. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 14 of 18
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    These changes are a multi-year, big team effort, and in some places completely overhauling the app. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Apple killed the Final Cut user base when it delivered FCPX.  Editors switched to Premier and AVID, and now Resolve is gaining.

You pick the one right tool.
    elijahg
  • Reply 16 of 18
    killroy said:
    “Sounds like a corrupt or missing file or codec. Does it not work at all or just crashes at some point on the time line.”

It refuses to open at all. I’m able to click the icon to open it and it just crashes and doesn’t open at all. I’ve tried clearing the cache and deleting/reinstalling it a few times and nothing works. I was told never update while working on other projects and this is exactly why - I had maybe 2-3 ongoing projects I was working on in FCPX and had to restart them in Premiere and it’s been… unpleasant to say the least. 

Yep, you should never do that with Avid also. Did you try a 100% reinstall?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    killroy said:
    Just roll back to the previous version that worked on your machine. You did keep a copy of that version, didn’t you? Or you’ve got a Time Machine disk somewhere your can
    docno42
  • Reply 18 of 18
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    As someone who still uses Aperture - I wish the FCPX community good luck.  It's like hoping Google will care about anything other than advertisers. 
    killroyelijahg